View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Can the thermarest dreamtime be packed any smaller? 

I have the dreamtime and am flying. It is so big. Any tips on how to get it to be any smaller? I just roll as tightly as I can, using my weight (I am not very heavy) to sit on it after every slight roll and then I pull the straps as tight as I can. But it is still so big!

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:14 pm

The only thing I can think of, if you think it can compress more, is to get some cheap compression straps (usually easy to find in camping goods sections/stores, usually sold in pairs - I bought some for my sleeping bag this year). Then put as many of them on the rolled pad (whatever works, every 3", 6", etc.) as is necessary to get it smaller. It's the only thing I can think of.

I fly with a double air mattress...it's heavier, but it packs flat. I can't sleep on a Thermarest, too thin...even my own ample personal padding can't make up the difference. ;o)

Safe travels!

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:35 pm

I'm sure you now this but just in case, make sure the valve is open to allow the air to escape while you are rolling it

Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:34 pm

stillfire sister, I'm feel in' your pain. I sent my dreamtime in stowage in a car full of four wims with three festie virgins. I lent a boat load of gear I cant bring flying, including a car top carrier for extra space, to buy that space.

While I don't advise trying this, this is what I would do: I would check my two pieces and try to get onboard with my backpack and my thermarest. They will undoubtedly make me gate check the thing, but the odds are good I won't have to pay extra. I see huge baby strollers being dealt with in this manner, doublewides sometimes, in fact. Maybe claim it as a medical device, which in my case it truly is. Good luck and try not to leave it behind. Happy rest happy fest..

Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:44 pm

If it fits inside one of your pieces of luggage, what I'd recommend doing is rolling clothing up inside your Thermarest. Just lay it out flat, and lay clothing flat on top of it, and roll. That doesn't make the thermarest itself smaller, but will help you save space as compared to rolling up the thermarest and then folding the clothes.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]