View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Grabbers Body Warmers 

Has anyone tried or used Grabbers Body Warmers or Mega Warmers or some such warming pack while sleeping? I get really cold at night and wondered if I could stick one of those warmers in a layer of clothing or between the sheets on my air mattress to help keep me warm at night. It says it can get to 135 or 158 degrees which seems realllly hot.. Does this really work and does it actually get hot and, well, would this even be a good idea???

Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:27 pm

I haven't tried chemical warmers, but can recommend hot water bottles. If you can access heated water, fill either an old fashioned flat rubber hot water bottle (borrow, or buy at a pharmacy) or a Nalgene bottle, Other hints for sleeping warm: change into sleeping clothing (your daytime gear is slightly damp); use wool -- if you are lucky enough to have a mohair throw, against yr skin and you'll be toasty--paradise is SmartWool longjohns, top and bottom. Many folks find sleeping with little clothing is warmer than thick layers. A small tent is a lot warmer than a big one. With a small tent, burning (carefully!) a small candle in a protective jar, even for just while you're getting ready for bed, will warm things up some.
Avoid cotton bedding. Fleece sheets and wool blankets is a great combo. Any of these approaches avoids unnecessary disposable items. Invest in the SmartWool leggings and you'll use them at home. A thrift shop wool sweater will do for the top, and may be welcome at night stage too. Ditto for a wool hat. Amazing how much warmer a hat can keep you.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:29 am

reddot - I have used the body warmers for skiing. I was a little disappointed, was imagining and hoping they'd provide more warmth than they did. I was using them in pretty extreme temps. The second time I used them, I put one on my chest and one on my back. They did provide some warmth in those spots but not enough to skip a layer. I think that laying on a warmer may make it too hot in that one spot, even leaning back against it was pretty hot (with one layer between it and my skin.) I expected they would substitute for a layer, but no, they just made me a little bit more comfortable. I hate that they are disposable and think that a hot water bottle in the bed may be just as effective or more effective. I'm really warm blooded, live in Fl and struggle to keep warm at Fest at times. For sleeping, I use a really good sleeping bag (rated to zero) + 2 fleece blankets around a down comforter and am always warm. Good luck! It's possible to stay warm.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:55 pm

Just a heads up with the disposable body warmers. You can't put these directly on your skin for long periods as I've treated skin burns after patients have used them. Great for night stage but not for sleeping unless you have a layer in between. I took a sleeping bag last year that had several layers to it that you can add or subtract from. A hood if really cold and an extra layer on top that zips off if warmer out. I got it at target for a resonable price and was very comfortable. Last year was my first year and I had a blast.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Thanks for the input! I dont think Ill have access to hot water or be willing to create hot water haha.. The smartwool is pretty pricey, does any place have sales on those items?! Good tip about avoiding the cotton sheets though.. I'll be on the lookout for more wool-ly things! :)

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:26 pm

I agree with Colleen: wear socks and a hat and you'll be so much warmer. My sleeping bag is warm but it's a satiny material, so I use a fleece "innertube" (as I call it) if it gets cold, and I'm toasty warm. And I stay away from air mattresses; I find they suck up cold air like you wouldn't believe.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:53 pm

Air your bedding during the hottest and driest part of the day just by opening up your sleeping bag or bedding in your tent. Before dinner time, remake your bed and toss either a wool or polarfleect blanket over your bed. If you don't have an extra blanket, toss a tarp over your bedding. This will prevent the dew from settling on your bed and making it feel cold and damp.

I also keep my pajamas tucked inside my bedding so when I pull them on right before bed, they also are warm and dry.

I think that the damp is the biggest culprit for being cold at night. If you can keep the damp out, you'll be much warmer.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:39 am

I use the waterbottle (great) and change into dry clothing (also great) and last year I started using a tent heater due to the size of my tent.
@babs I never thought of covering the bed in plastic to keep the dew of as night sets in. What a fantastic idea, I will be adding that to my Michigan packing list. Soooo excited to be coming home

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:36 am
Site Admin

hang some charcoal in your tent, keeps the damp at bay. just use one of them mesh bags.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]