View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
What couldn't you live without at your campsite? 

We decided the most important thing we had at our campsite was each other...but that's an easy answer.

Last year we bought a "party tent" and it was amazing! Easy up, lots of space, and super affordable...it became a community center of sorts and it was awesome! I love, love, love it. We picked up a bunch of battery operated LED xmas lites on clearance after xmas-can't wait to decorate the tent this year!!!

Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi ej, & welcome. There are designated fire pit's. It is not ok to have your own fire ring it is a safety issue.

in sisterhood suji

Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:40 pm

Sorry, I should have been more clear. You can cook on a grill. We have a small propane grill that we take. There are also tons of things you can eat that are super easy. for instance make chili or speghetti or soup ahead of time and seal in individual servings. Then you just boil water and eat out of the bag. It makes doing dishes easy too.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:50 am

Hey Beardedragyns!

That party tent was fantastic. It was great to visit and talk with you and JA and Z and jazzwords. Looking forward to seeing you all again!

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:05 am

We are looking forward to the family reunion in August, Savvy!!!

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:51 pm

Hey Bearded & JA! Can't wait to see your smiling faces in, like, 15 weeks!

Important accessories: battery-operated lights/fans, and remember a rope to use for tarp-hanging, and a clothesline.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:29 pm
Profile WWW

ej - you can't cook over a campfire at your site (for fire safety reasons). If you plan to cook at your site, you'll need to bring a campstove and fuel. There are a few community fire pits where you could roast a marshmallow or perhaps a hot dog, but they're not set up for cooking either.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:15 pm

It's on the opposite end from a Jetboil, but I love my Coleman automatic drip camp coffeemaker. Best investment ever & I wouldn't camp without it. No good coffee in the morning (I admit, I am a coffee snob) with half & half= cranky spark. I bring a stove mainly for the coffee production, though it gets used for other supplemental cooking too. And I share! A DART neighbour once called me the local coffee pusher...she still comes by every morning for her cup. Can I help it that I have a genetic predisposition to feed people? I say coffee counts.

The other can't live without is my cot. Gravity is too mean for me to try sleeping on the ground anymore. It isn't the sleeping there really, but the getting up, especially in the middle of the night.

To chime in about lights, I found a string of mini-lights that are solar powered. Can't wait to give them a try this year. Anyone else have experience with them? I already use 2 stick in the ground small solar lights on either side of my tent door. No more tripping over the tent lip or fumbling for the zipper.

-spark

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:05 pm

I think my favorite aspect of my campsite is the combo of open (not screened) canopy and small dome sleep tent. The bugs don't bother me (except by the swamp walks). I love the airy feel-even if it's raining--when putzing around my site. And I love the snug-as-a-bug feel when sleeping.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:35 pm

spark IS the coffee pusher! and mighty fine coffee at that!

EL has an amazing campsite from many years of perfecting her packing and pitching and organizing. Plus she has a cavernous van in which to haul her prepacked cart for schlepping! I am in awe! ~bows~

I am leaning more and more towards EL's style of camping with a relatively large tarped open air living/dressing area and a tent for sleeping just adjacent. Really ... my bins don't NEED to be in my tent taking up sleeping space and I certainly don't need to worry about privacy to get dressed. I don't hang out in my tent. (Okay maybe occasionally for more intimate times.) I only *need* really enclosed space for sleeping since that's the only time mosquitoes seem to get me.

oh ... this thread is about what I can't live without at my site. :)

My super comfortable and amazingly flexible sleep system!!!! I have a Therm-a-Rest Dreamtime that allows me to sleep like a baby! omg I love it! With that, I use a medium weight lovely fern green LL Bean sleeping bag lined in a cotton/poly blend that feels like real sheets (not slippery clammy nylon or damp holding flannel). I also take with me a queen sized sheet in soft gold and a leaf green light-weight fleece blanket. If it's a super hot night, I sleep nekkid on top the sleeping bag but generally pull the sheet up over me in the middle of the night. If it's really cold, I climb inside the sleeping bag and maybe pull the fleece over me or even pile on the queen sheet. The fleece can also go with me to firepits or night stage. I bring along 2 squooshy throw pillows in light caramel. The whole set up packs relatively small, is wonderfully flexible, and looks so nice. :)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."

Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:28 pm

RL, I love how you've described the colors. Your site and your wardrobe at fest are always so beautifully colorful. Colors are meaningful to me, too, and tied to the occasion. Fest for me is full of greens and yellows and turquoise. (plenty of purple, too)

I have a picture of my site from last year on my wall. The leaf-filtered sunlight streaming in, my program laying open on a daffodil yellow chair. My green sleep tent, with sun hat hanging nearby.

88 days you say? (and 23 hours) so near and yet to far!!

Wed May 04, 2011 9:36 am

While its technically not for my campsite, I can not survive Fest without an industrial strength footstone to clean my feet. I have a nice black lava rock right now that works great. I don't like to have dirty feet too long and especially don't like to mess up my sleep space with dirty feet. Its a bit of a fetish, I know.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:02 pm

Artemis, I once worked at a summer camp & befriended a cabin counselor whose motto was, "clean toes are happy toes"! I dunno if this helped him with getting his boys to shower, but I say hurrah for the scrubby rock.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:18 pm

Earplugs and eye shades. Both are must haves at my campsite for the overnight hours. They sell both at the Fest but I prefer heavier duty earplugs. The eyeshades are very useful to keep out the flashlight beams and the megawatt lanterns from other sites.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:30 pm

Cardboard boxes. Kitchen and Store have tons of clean cardboard boxes. Smaller ones are tent organizers: for shoes, boots, umbrella. water bottles, cans of juice, papers, bedside whatnot. Big ones opened out flat for a tent "rug" (protects tent floor and is easy to dump sand out the door. A small flat one as a doormat, to stand on in sock feet while dealing with shoes (slide it under the tent or flap when not in use so it doesn't channel rain under the tent). A day before the end, take them and stack flat and neat at the recycling dumpster.

And a few old-fashioned shower-curtain clips, the wire kind. Make hanging loops for your towel, dish bag, whatever.
Alarm clock, ear plugs, eyemask (Bucky makes a super cushy one).

Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next