View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Bicycles at Fest? 

I know from reading the rules that you can't ride your bike around fest, but I am wondering if we bring our bikes if we can bike out of RV to ride down the road into fest and into town, etc. If not, is it a long way to walk your bike from RV to the fest gates? Anyone else love to ride their bicycle? Group rides?

Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:24 pm

The only bikes I've seen used at fest were workers. Dart Patricia use to use a 3 wheel adult bike before she had to start using a scooter.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:26 pm

Belzmom, devoted biker here. The request is that womyn not ride their bikes anywhere on the grounds during the festival. I wouldn't say i've never seen gals succumb to the temptation and bike up to the gates from RV/the parking area. But it makes the security, shuttle and parking gals lives easier if people don't. Really, it's not far to walk; maybe 1/4 mile - just a good stretch of the legs.

If your an avid biker in the habit of riding daily and have the room, bring your bike. The sandy county road can be tricky at times, so one needs to be careful, but there are paths to ride into the state forest if one wants. And once you hit the paved road, which tends to have little traffic, it's so flat one is tempted to just keep going and going.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:01 pm

That sounds great-we love off-road biking, and can bring the hybrids which should work fine. Thanks for letting me know. I agree a quarter mile is nothing at all to walk.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:43 pm

anyone remember when Kit and Holly rode from the west coast to Fest? what an amazing feat... and two darlin' dumplins of sweetness, these amazon gals!

Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:23 pm

I remember Kat riding all that way. She use to come to singing in sacred circle and even wrote little songs we sang. I remember her being a worker 1 year but haven't heard or seen her for a few years.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi -- just my two cents.

Even workers (except for a tiny handful with "licenses") have to stop riding the Sunday before the festival, and can't start up again until the Tuesday after.

If you do bring a bike and walk it out to the road, make sure you have sand-ready tires. If it hasn't rained very recently, you'll be hitting a lot of very loose sand pits in the road. Also, the tends to get washboarded. And since it's a county road, people are going very fast (i think speed limit is 60) on a road with long stretches of bad visibility because of hills and curves.

If you can hang in there long enough to get to the paved road, the riding should be nice.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:14 pm

Thanks, mountain bikes should be able to handle what you describe, and others stated there are some side logging roads to explore I think? We ride down trails and so forth on a regular basis. Probably will just check out the 10 day forecast before leaving and if it is too hot or too rainy leave them home, otherwise bring them.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:08 pm

Yes, the riding on the paved road is great; little traffic, gently rolling terrain and pretty country scenery. It becomes very easy to just keep peddling along to see what's over that next little hill. But for anyone who goes out that far bring plenty of water and remember that to get back to the festival you're going to have 3 miles down a sandy road for a finish to your ride.

Belzmom, i hope the weather looks good for you both to bring your bikes. For me, the riding not only offers a little exercise but makes for some quiet time away from the festival crowds. If you do plan on biking down any of the logging trails, i'd recommend wearing plenty of insect repellent even if the bugs don't bother you on the festival's land. They can be pretty thick in there. And if you ride fairly early in the morning (around sunrise) chances are good you'll see plenty of deer.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:38 pm

Also, if you're planning to stay in Hart, the comfort inn backs right onto a 25-mile rails-to-trails state park. It's a nice ride.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:26 pm

belzmom, Bring your bikes! You will need to walk from RV to the gates but can ride from there. However, my guess is that you won't ride a bit. You will have entirely too much fun stuff to do to leave the Land.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:48 pm

Belzmom, did you bring the bikes and set aside any time to ride?

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]