View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
bicycles 

I see bicycles are not allowed. Can anyone tell me what exactly that means? Seems strange in light of the fact that RVs are allowed...and carts and such. We are two first-timers who are riding Ragbrai self-contained and then heading for MI. We are used to carrying all our stuff on our bikes, we'll have our panniers and all, which work better as luggage when hooked to bikes rather than carried by hand. Trying to figure out how to deal with this. Want to make sure I'm not missing something. Our bikes could be considered our car as way to arrive, and they also could be considered our cart as our way to move our gear. Please help...N

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:59 pm

I suggest you call the office and ask. Bikes for riding around during the week are not allowed. Cars are only allowed as far as the parking lot. RV's are ushered into to a special temporary parking for check-in and then they only drive as far as RV and spend the rest of the time parked there. I have a cart that was loaded onto the trolley and taken to the closest drop-off point and I pulled it up the hill from there. What you have is different from all of the above, so I'd call the office and ask if you could use it for pack-in & out, but with the understanding that you couldn't ride them around during the week, but be prepared for a "no" and know that the pack-in process is designed to help get you and all your stuff to the general camping areas then you just have to haul it from there.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:24 pm
Profile WWW

what a cool sounding bike trip. My partner and i do weekend trips in our region.

The best answer to your question is to call the office and ask. I did just want to add that during festival-one might see a womon riding a bike, but that would be only for a work related task.

safe travels!

Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:52 am

The only person other than a worker being allowed to ride a bike on the land that I know of is Dart Patricia who rode an adult tricycle before she needed to change to a scooter and it was a medical necessity for her.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:39 pm

I too was disappointed when I first heard as I always brough my bike camping. However once you are there you will understand. There is one main road (with dirt paths elsewhere) and it would be impossible to navigate if everyone had bikes. Keep watching the pics above when you click "view new posts" and you will see a tractor pulling a flat bed with benches and a tarp. That is one of the two wonderful shuttles that take us around the land. You will enjoy the scenery as you meet wonderful womyn and realize a bike just wouldn't do. :)

Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:07 pm

You can have your bike on the land, but can't ride it. There are womyn, that walk their bike out to the county road and bike that, then come back to the gate, get off, and walk their bike back in. I would imagine you could walk your bike with the gear on it and use it as a cart. Though, again, I'd call the office.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:41 pm

Thru the years there have been many who have "biked" to fest...some coming in across the country in a long summer ride. All have riden their bikes to the gate, unloaded their panniers/gear/carts and gotten into the shuttle line and parked their bikes in bike parking which includes motor cycles as well as unmotored "bikes".

Calling the office to ask about other uses/needs/thoughts is always a good plan.

Bikes are not allowed on the dirt road thru fest as it is a one lane road used by festival shuttles (vans, DART buses/mini buses and tractors pulling surreys) and the pedi-paths run along side it for people on foot. Having bikes thrown into the mix creates a traffic nightmare and a safety hazard when you start talking 1000's of wimmin and children on the pedi-paths surrounded by trees and ferns with no shoulders...

Festival workers that have special bike passes are usually limited to stage workers moving over distance between stages to fulfill work responsibilities. Communications are thru CB radios.

Some Differently abled wimmin with mobility limitations use electric chairs and scooters to get around.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:58 am

I'm riding RAGBRAI, too! PM me, and maybe we can catch up somewhere in the middle of Iowa.

From a cycling perspective, make sure you're prepared for the ride up to the gate. The road leading up to fest is made of sand, and depending on the weather conditions, could be powdery, dry sand, or wet, mushy sand, or even more likely, some of both. If you've got fat tires, you should be fine, but if you have slicks on for RAGBRAI, I could imagine that it might get a bit rough. That said, it's only a couple of miles from the hardtop road to the gate.

I'll echo the suggestion that you call the office with your concerns about what to do after you get in the gate. Although RVs are allowed into an area that is just slightly further inside the gate than the parking lot, the RV womyn hoof it or take a shuttle to get downtown.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:13 pm

I just realized I don't have my email in my profile anymore. Attempting to fool the spam bots: a d young 1

Then the @.

juno.com

Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]