View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Spening Money 

Hi all,
So i drew up my list of things i gotta get before fest and i was wondering what's a good amount to bring to the Land for spending money? How much do you bring? because i'm a student i'm trying to be very careful with my planning and spending. I'm getting excited!!

Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:21 pm

P&J,
Sounds like you're doing a great job of planning. Do you have Babs' Tips for First Timers? if not, email her at myfriendbabs at gmail dot com. Babs' is a long-time festival worker and her tips are REALLLLY helpful (and much more thorough than the tips on this website).
Meanwhile. . .spending money. . .it depends. Here's what Babs says in the 2010 edition of her Tips:
Do I need any money once I am on the land? Technically, no. Your ticket price (plus your workshifts) pays for all of your meals, concerts, workshops, first aid, etc. But if you want to buy snacks, coffee, etc., you will want to have some cash on hand. Also, Michigan features an incredible crafts area with womyn and wares from all over the planet. Cool clothes, crafts, books, toys, and services including haircuts and massage. All vendors accept cash, some will barter for services/wares, some accept credit cards, others prefer personal checks.
~~~~
It is possible to spend a lot of money or very little money when you're at fest. If you're on a tight budget, then much of what is in the crafts area will be out of reach. There is LOTS of great music available at Goldenrod, although you can also take notes of what you want to get and then order it in the future/over time so you're not spending all the money at once. I tend to buy music and crafts stuff in a once-a-year shopping spree, sort of like other people spend money around the December holidays. I think ahead re: who I will want gifts for over the year, and get as much as I can at the fest craft area/Goldenrod. Otherwise, assuming you have all the basic gear you need, don't need to get gear at the Cuntree Store, the primary things to have money for are snacks/beverages. On hot days, it is nice to get ice cream.

One thing that is nice about fest is that, except for the crafts area and the cuntree store/Saints snack bar, there really aren't places to spend money. . .it's different than walking around any town/city where all around you are opportunities to spend money.

So, there's a rambling/non-specific answer. Hopefully, some other womyn will have thoughts re: how much things cost, for you to plan.
Happy planning!
SKWD

Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:39 pm

A couple of things to have money for is raffle tickets and festie wear - both are money makers for fest by fest. The raffle prizes are things donated by the craftswomen and fest.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi, prideandjoy! You're going to have a great time!

Honestly, you can get through the week without spending a dime. But here's my budget:

tee shirt or sweatshirt or other Festiewear: $30
soda or coffee or ice cream once or twice a day: I figure $5 a day, Tuesday - Sunday, so $30
emergency cash, in case I run out of batteries or something and need to buy it on site: $20
raffle tickets: $20

That's $100. And last year, all I actually bought was raffle tickets and a tee shirt and one Coke and one Dove bar, so I came home with most of it.

Then, on top of that is any money I'm planning to spend in crafts. This year, I'm going to try to do my Christmas shopping there (to support the craftswomyn instead of my local mall).

Can't wait for August!

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:47 am

Some years I've gone with $20 and some years I've gone with $150...either way I always have a good year and I come home happy :)

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:28 pm
Profile WWW

As other's have said, all the essentials are provided by fest, but I usually bring $100 play money... that usually goes to some combination of :
- craft-vendor items (there are so many pretty things that I always wish I could afford to spend a fortune in crafts....)
- cds from favourite performers and/or other music I discover there (there's a music-tent in crafts, with a fantastic listening bench out back).
- festie-wear (though I don't feel a need to buy that every year... really - how many michfest hoodies/shirts do I need?? Though the ones I do own get lots and lots of love and wear!!)
- the occasional dove-bar snack.... mmm....

Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]