View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Portable Potties at your Camp Site...any suggestions? 

I'm bringing a first timer and she is wanting some form of pottie at our camp site. My thought is to bring one of the luggable loos (5 gal paint bucket with a toilet seat) but am curious to know about waste disposal.

Most of these pee pots you can use either a plastic bag as a liner or some chemical type of gel....I've even heard kitty litter (woe, that's heavy to haul!) or I suppose you could use nothing to line the pot.

I'm wondering if these "used" plastic bags, gels, or kitty litter can be placed in the port-o-janes? Would anyone happen to know?

Would anyone know of any other light weight, pee pot, kind of set up?

Thanks!

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:11 am

Is this a "I don't want to go all the way to the janes in the middle of the night" issue or a "I'm not using port-o-potties" issue? For middle of the night, I just bring a big bottle with a screw top and a pStyle http://www.thepstyle.com/pages/pstyle . Then dump it into the janes in the morning. If it's the second, I have no suggestion other than reassuring her that the port-o-potties at fest are MUCH better than the ones you find anywhere else.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:10 am

I use Wag Bags. I have heard others talk about double doddie? bags that are similar. Better than messing around with cat litter or emptying jugs for me. If you are an REI member wait for one of their 20% off promotions and buy then.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:24 pm

Definitely do not put plastic bags in the porta potties! I would suppose not kitty litter.

Low tech solution (to avoid trekking to portapots in dark, rain, etc.: big Nancy's yogurt tub, with its snug-fitting lid. The size that's about 9 inches across. At bedtime, I set the clean dry pot near my bed, with a dose of TP on top. Middle of the night, or dawn, pee in the pot-- it flexes nicely to fit between your legs and is big enough it's hard to miss. Wipe, drop the TP in, clip the lid on and set it all over by the tent door (or even outside it). Sometime the next day, take it with you to the portapot, dump, wipe with TP, rinse at the faucet (flinging the rinse water off into the bushes), and turn it upside down by your tent to drain and dry.

No cost, re-use, nothing heavy to carry in, nothing exotic to dispose of.
And mostly you'll get into a schedule where you take advantage of using the potties when it's easy, when you're passing them anyway, so you don't typically need to pee in camp in the day time. And they are usually quite clean and nice. DO put the lids down.

Oh, and the portapots often contain interesting reading material! Consider bringing some favorite poetry, cartoons, colorful art, factoids or inspirational sayings, on small papers, with tape to put them up. Make someone's "stay" more pleasant!

Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:31 pm

If you DO use a bucket type system, you can do like we do with the childcare potty-dump buckets: slip on rubber gloves, put a lid on the bucket, walk it to the portapotty. Dump the contents in, wipe with TP, give a litttle rinse (into the bushes) and lastly add a squirt of soap and leave it in the bucket. (No plastic liner with this system-- a slick plastic bucket comes clean easily enough.) But my guess is this will quickly seem a lot of trouble compared to simpler approaches.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:38 pm

I think this need to pee scenario is mainly for in the middle of the night. I just use a container in the tent, but my friend I think isn't quite so stable or awake in the middle of the night to try to deal with peeing accuracy!

Thanks for all the feedback!

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:37 am

I've not been to fest but when I've camped before, it's walking in the woods and squatting. Not afraid of the dark, actually quite like it. :)

Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:57 pm

Karie, that's def the easiest way lol, and if you wait in the Line before Fest that's what you'll have to do. HOWEVER on the Land peeing randomly in the woods is discouraged since all the drinking water/shower water/cooking water/etc is pulled right out of the same land. That's the same reason everyone uses (or should be using lol) biodegradable soaps and shampoos.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:35 pm
Profile WWW

what Trixie said ... plus the fact that you've got probably 3000 women all camping in fairly close proximity. a walk into the woods away from your site will no doubt bring you very very close to a neighbor's tent. think about what the area will smell like if everyone decides to pee just anywhere. especially if we have no rain. ~holds nose~

personally ... I use a plastic coffee can with screw on lid for my middle of the night pee moments and then somewhere around the crack of dawn, i always wake to pee again but if it's light out at all, I make the chilly trek to the janes (toting my coffee can to dump). I love listening to the silence in the woods, punctuated only by the occasional soft snore and the crunch of my sandals on the wood chip path. heh. it's a really magical moment before fest wakes up and I love it!

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:46 pm

I've always used Blue Bunny ice cream containers--they're oval shaped and fit nicely between my legs.
This year, however, my lady will be coming and she is not so keen on public use restrooms in general. We're looking into getting one of the loos that uses the plastic bag disposals(terribly wasteful, I know, but its only one week) as well as a 'shower tent' so she can have a private place to use it.Has anyone ever used one of these?

Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:41 am
Profile WWW

What about the "travelJohn" disposable urinals? They have a gel-can they be thrown into the dumpsters? It'd only be for the middle of the night urgent times-the rest of the time, the Janes are ok for me.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:08 am

I'm actually leaning towards the Wag Bag set up in combo with a Luggable Loo. Everything about the Wag Bag is biodegradable and can be thrown in the trash.

The Wag Bags are a bit expensive, but for as infrequent as this set up is going to be used, I think it would be worth it. I also go primitive camping and squatting over a hole just getting to be a pain in the...b...back, knees, ankles, etc. This set up will be a welcome change from the hole.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:29 am

Please, Please, Please remember, DO NOT throw any type of plastic bag into the Porta's. They block up the sucker hose's & create a major problem in terms of cleaning out the Porta's.

A PSA.

in sisterhood & easy porta cleaning.

suji

Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:42 am

Right-O, Suji. No plastic in Jane's. Good God I'd hate to have to clean that clog....

Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:10 pm

I use the "small container in the tent" solution (yep, love the oval Bunny Ice Cream but found my nightly output was greater volume than that container can hold w/out sloshing). I use a regular long stemmed funnel and a detergent bottle. very stable shape with leak proof screw on cap.

Never saw the wag or some of the gels. I too think kitty litter seems awfully heavy to lug. And speaking of, I was disappointed in the engineering of the Luggable Loo. Cute idea, the lid looks like the familiar two piece lid and ring system in your bathroom, but how could they make a camp site potty that doesn't have an airtight lid? It's really just a regular 5 gal bucket and that fancy lid has a major flaw, so I don't think it's worth the money.

I reiterate: please don't plan to pee in the woods at fest. The camping is usually just too dense to make that accessible.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next