View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Portable Potties at your Camp Site...any suggestions? 

Chiming in here...

#1- What suji (and others) said! Can't stress this enough, please no plastic or waste bags of any kind in the portas. This includes ostomy/cath bags and diapers for anyone who uses them. As a CCE for DART last year, I was a cleaner who prevented clogs several times, though we posted big signs inside. 'Nuff said. I am CCE again this year & would love to not have a repeat experience with that. In DART there is a marked Medical Waste trash can for such items if you don't want to put them in a regular bin. Other areas, I am not sure.

I have long used the Traveljohn disposable urinals, especially in the Line. They work great, don't smell, and can be used several times each before they're full. The gel inside is fantastic. They are easy enough to use in the middle of the night if you practice a few times first. Far as I know, they are fine to put in dumpsters. Cabela's & Amazon both have them if you can't find them in a store.

-spark

Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:49 am

I too do the plastic coffee can with screw on lid. It works well and then I don't have to leave the kidlet alone in the tent in the middle of the night.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:52 am

The Luggable Loo can be a bit expensive. A way around that is to find your own 5 gal bucket. Home Depot even has orange ones for sale/use vs a carry basket now when you shop. Paint bucket, pickle bucket...they're all designed the same. Just purchase the seat w/lid such as:

This particular one has a rubber seal around the lid.

http://www.amazon.com/Tote-able-Toilet- ... 736&sr=8-5

You can find just the luggable loo seat/lid combo from Gander Mountain, but they're $15 or more just for that!

Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:58 pm

I love this thread! Thanks for all the good information for both Fest and other camping adventures!

Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:58 pm

A few years ago our "Michfest prize" was a new porta potty...for late night no-leavin-the-tent times. We got a PET toilet that came with the WAG bags-love those! It was a really good ebay deal and came with enough bags that we have needed more...until now. The bags ain't cheap! 12 for like $34.

Good news...I hope...Wal-Mart has something that looks really really similar to the WAG bag and they are 6 for 11.88-We just found them last night and bought a box...have not tried them yet. Anyone else tried them? Was thinking of testing one out...just feels weird to pee in a bag outside of fest....

Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:39 pm

Beardedragyns, what are the bags called...brand, etc?

Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:38 pm

They are Ozark Trail brand...will dig them out and get exact name, I am pretty sure I know which pile they are in.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:15 pm

Pheonix, we have a Shower tent to use as a potty tent. You will be surprised how small they are. Truly, I wouldn’t buy one again; I’d just use an old tent. 3’x3’x6’ seems large but it really isn’t. In reality it’s a very small space and I fear trying to use as a shower at all. The water bag is supposed to hang from the ceiling bar and I just don’t trust it with the weight.
As for potties, we use a medical chair with a 5 gallon bucket underneath. I love the chair; it’s just an open seat with handles and arms. We did get wing nuts to use for ease in assembly and tear down instead of what comes with it. The 5 gallon bucket with garbage bags and a little rv toilet stuff goes underneath. I just dump into the janes as needed.
There is also a toilet seat that goes directly onto 5 gal bucket. I have used it but it seemed flimsy (for lack of a better word).

Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:17 pm

this is what we used at night to avoid treks to porta janes. http://www.traveljohn.com/1-1-5.php

The seat is sturdy and the bags work great and stay where they are supposed to. They go in the dumpster after use. They have a gel in them that soaks up fluids and smells. We placed the potty in our tent vestibule which was completely enclosed and private at night when our tent was zipped up. The potty chair comes with a little carrying bag like the big chairs do. It worked great and we were glad we had it. I hate walking to the bathroom in the middle of the night half asleep.

Phoenix, we bought one of those solar showers because I thought I was going to be too shy to shower at fest. We never took it out of the bag, lol. BUT we camped in DART so the showers are much more private there. I still don't think I could do the public shower thing. But I have to camp in DART so I guess I'll never know.

Sun May 29, 2011 1:58 pm
Profile WWW

I bought an Ozark Trails brand foldable potty that is similar to the PET toilet but is round instead of square. It's similar to the Reliable one found on Amazon. I got mine at WalMart for about $10 less. I need this because I go in the night and I'm not walking around in the dark just to pee. I haven't set it up yet to see how it will be height wise, but I'm sure it will okay for 1 week. It uses the Ozark Trail double bags as described above. I'm looking for other solutions too.

Sun May 29, 2011 4:21 pm

Nobody else finds it fun to stumble around in the dark worried that if you trip you're going to pee yourself while you shuffle off to the janes hoping nobody wants to talk and if they do then you stop and do the I gotta pee dance while talking to them and then barely making it to the janes?

That's half the fun of fest for me!

Truth be told...the ONLY time I ever have to pee in the middle of the night is at fest! What is it with that? At home once I go to sleep I'm asleep..at fest I get up to pee every...single...night...argh.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:36 pm

I don't mind going to the janes at night, and like Mouse, I never have to at home! Perhaps I drink more water at fest. A favorite fest memory is having to pee so badly in the middle of the night and it was raining. I figured out--just go naked! I didn't get any of my clothes wet and was able to dry off before crawling back into my sleeping bag. I LOVE FEST!!!

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:50 pm

I drink a lot of water, so I go pretty much every night. So maybe I'll reverse it at Fest! And since my bathroom is right in my bedroom at home, mere steps away, going all the way to the janes would be an adventure that I'm just not up for.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:43 am

Ironically, at home I usually get up in the middle of the night most nights. At Fest, though, I sleep like a baby! Maybe better than a baby. =D But all the way through, anyway.

At least, that's how it was last year. I hope the trend continues.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:54 am

Interesting thread!

Here's my contribution - For the love of all that is holy, if you set up a toilet near your campsite, make sure the lid seals. We had festival neighbors a few years back who created a private-porta-potty (tiny tent over a bucket with a seat on it) and it stank to HIGH heaven. It was awful.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next