View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Going to fest PREGNANT? 

Hi, I'm considering going to festival again this year, but this time I"ll be about 7 months pregnant. I'll be traveling alone, schlepping my own gear, and I will have many friends to meet up with at fest. I'll also be getting good prenatal care before and after my trip.

I'm wondering if any of you have experiences that you'd like to share about camping while pregnant.
What comfort items did you need?
Is it absolutely ridiculous to think that I can sleep on a low air mattress at that point in my pregnancy?
I don't usually bring a camp chair, but should I try to this time?
How did the festival community respond to your pregnancy? Were they helpful with lugging your gear, or let you butt in line when you were desperate to pee?

I'd love to know what your experiences were like. Please share!
Thanks, lovely womyn.

Thu May 05, 2011 9:16 pm

I wasn't at fest during my childbearing years but I can remember how I felt while pregnant. I would suggest staying DART. Get a cot to sleep on. Staying in DART will keep you close to the porta-jaynes. DART people will help move your stuff around and put up tent. Make sure to fill out the application for DART space and send it in if you do decide to camp there.

Thu May 05, 2011 9:51 pm

Brave womon, Kaolin! DART services for pregnant womyn! Love it. You may also want to bring a regular height folding chair for Night Stage, or camp site, because getting in and out of the low chair may induce early labor by the end of the week. (Wink) Good at 9 and a half months, but not 7. You will have lots of help the week of the festival.

Thu May 05, 2011 10:46 pm

I totally would have come to fest during my last pregnancy and was going to til I came to terms with the fact that it was just too close to my due date. However, I would have gone at 7 months :). During my denial phase, I got lots of feedback from womyn who'd been there pregnant, so I know they're around. I think a lot depends on your pregnancy. Is this your first? Some people do great being active, others not so much. I myself have pretty uncomfortable pregnancies, but still do well with lots of walking. I would definitely camp downtown and ask for and accept any help you can. I've not been there pregnant, but I know as a mother with small children, womyn have always been amazingly helpful, both when I've asked and when I just appear to be struggling, so I'm guessing you would have a similar experience. I do suggest arranging with someone ahead of time to schlepp gear though- while you may be strong and healthy, everything loosens up during pregnancy and it's really easy to pull something. The other big thing to focus on is staying hydrated. I would leave sleeping gear questions to closer to fest if you can. I think it will be hard to know what you'll want til you know how you feel then.

Thu May 05, 2011 11:40 pm

I was six months pregnant at Fest and brought my five year old daughter. It's totally do-able... it's just more tiring than before (of course). I loved it. I loved how happy people were to see my pregnant belly, that I didn't have to wear clothes if i didn't want to and that my baby was part of the magic of the land, even in utero.
What I learned- take naps. Lots of them.
be aware of the heat and make sure you hydrate beyond belief.
the wonderful womyn at the womb were super happy to check my baby with their doppler.
my bebe was lulled to sleep by all the music (so I freaked out when he stopped moving as much as I was used to him doing).

Fri May 13, 2011 2:01 pm
Profile WWW

if you think your body is healthy enough to go to the concert and will not endanger your baby
then go...you would probably enjoy it and the baby too!
Have a good time!

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:45 am

Thanks for the nice replies, folks. I've decided to wait until next year. The idea of having to do such a long trip solo at 7 months pregnant just seemed overwhelming. But I'm camping locally this week and going to a local music festival the next week, so that should help make up for a bit of what I'm missing...

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:53 pm

I hope you have a wonderful rest of your pregnancy and birth! I'll look forward to meeting you and your new little one at sprouts next year :)

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]