View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Airport check-in 

it can. its just like any other tarp material, just lighter. i would suggest getting some tarp clips for the corners (see link below) to hold it up tight and then i just used some duct tape and created tabs. i would use duct tape in the middle and tarp clips on the side to make sure it stayed up in heavy rain or wind. the only bad thing is it stiffer then a tarp (which could help with stability over a tent). the stiffness goes away with time but i was pretty impressed with it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-4- ... 91858.html

Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:47 am

Stillfire- I carry the rubbermaid in by hand, I don't use a cart. I make sure that it is not packed full so that I can lift it. If you're traveling with someone, you can just load up on either side. I usually have to take a break or two between the drop off and my tent site because it gets heavy and I don't use a cart. I also put duct tape on each handle to secure the lid for flying. The duct tape is usually intact enough for the return home. I've used this method for 6 years and it's worked great. The best thing about the Rubbermaid is that you can put food and other things you don't want to get wet in it so you can have snacks at your site without worrying about the wildlife.

I try to pack it only 1/2 full so there's room to put stuff in it for the return trip from Crafts.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:19 am

thanks macosta and beachgrrrl. macosta--can you explain about the duct tape for tabs? can't quite picture that or the use of it. beachgrrrl--you must not walk very far into the woods to camp. i tend to like to camp somewhat off the beaten path...so i guess i probably can't use the rubbermaid. though i will consider as i like the idea of it.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:42 am

i just made a tab by folding a piece of duct tape over itself with leaving a 2 inch tab sticking out. i am going to put a stake through it for the tent but you can punch a hole through it and put rope through it.

http://tarpline.com/index.php?cPath=24 kind of like this but without the grommet.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:31 am

One tip I picked up on this board is to close the bins with zip ties. I drilled holes around the top rim of an old-style rubbermaid bin (make sure you have the cover one, and drill through both layers so they line up). For me, two holes per side worked. On the top of the contents, I left a handful of zipties, with a note asking for it to be reclosed if inspected.

Make sure you bring enough to repeat the procedure on the way home.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:28 am

FriendofDoris wrote:
One tip I picked up on this board is to close the bins with zip ties. I drilled holes around the top rim of an old-style rubbermaid bin (make sure you have the cover one, and drill through both layers so they line up). For me, two holes per side worked. On the top of the contents, I left a handful of zipties, with a note asking for it to be reclosed if inspected.

Make sure you bring enough to repeat the procedure on the way home.

We use the zip tie trick for travel as well. Bonus use: If you drill enough holes, you can use this as your food storage at camp. (The raccoons have yet to break in!) It does require removing a few each time you want to access food, but if you're clever, you can just snip one of them and leave the others in place while you fish out your granola or jerky.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:00 am

I wrap a piece of duct tape on each handle from underneath the handle (where your fingers curl into) to the top of the lid. I find it gives extra security to keeping the lid on and is easy to peel off if anyone needs to look inside. I find that even peeled off, the duct tape will still have enough stickiness to last the week and the return trip home.

I camp in Amazon Acres, I think. Wherever I am, it's not that crowded so I consider it off the beaten path. I would be happy to have an even more rural campsite but this spot works for now, and usually isn't too noisy, especially on non-anniversary years. I take the Midway stop and take the main trail towards the kitchen. It's about a 7 minute walk to the kitchen. The schlepping in and out can be tedious, so I take a couple of breaks when carrying the rubbermaid in but like I said, I try to only pack bags/bins that I can comfortably carry. I bring a backpacking backpack, a day pack and the rubbermaid bin. That's it. I don't have a lot of cute outfits, extra tents for storage, decorations or an air mattress so I can actually fit what I do bring into these three things without much trouble. I have a serious aversion to schlepping stuff. Plus, it makes the workers happy. More women less stuff.

But I can understand the appeal of all the stuff that women bring. I would like a heavier blanket and fun stuff.

I went with duct tape instead of zip ties because I always forget my knife since I can't fly with anything sharp anymore. Duct tape is just easier, but the zip ties are a great idea.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2