View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Airport check-in 

how did you guys pack your stuff for check-in at the airport? So far I have 3 separate items: tent, sleeping bag (maybe put it in a box?), and large luggage for personal stuff. That's going to be a lot of luggage fees :( so I was wondering if any of you lovely ladies had a strategy?
I'm also carrying on a small bag and a backpack. Thanks for your time :)

Wed May 18, 2011 2:07 pm

I've never flown to fest, but I did fly to a music festival in California, and we had to take camping gear for 5 people. We used a hockey duffle bag, which are HUGE. We were able to fit all out tents, blankets, etc in it. It worked so well I used one for my first fest. I was able to fit my tent, chair, sleeping bag, pillow, air mattress, blanket, and some other random stuff in. Just make sure once it's packed it is within the airline size limits lol :)

Wed May 18, 2011 5:33 pm
Profile WWW

Unfortunately, these days there's no getting around the luggage fees, unless you can afford to fly first class! It's just part of the cost, unless you can find someone who's driving and can schlep some of your stuff. I've been flying to fest for a long time, and have found that with careful planning I can get everything into a really big wheeled suitcase, a somewhat smaller soft-sided bag, and a standard carry-on bag. Those giant army duffels work too. I just make sure to weigh stuff once it's packed, so it doesn't exceed the weight limit. That really WOULD be a drag to have to pay!

Wed May 18, 2011 7:52 pm

make sure to check the weight and size requirements for your airline to avoid fees. i am flying delta and the combined measurement for a bag is 60 inches (thats length, width, height) with 50 lbs. that is max before incurring the $50+ overage fee. you can have 2 bags.

anything with wheels will add 10-14 lbs. my bag is slightly bigger than http://www.rei.com/product/770255/rei-c ... ure-duffel rei is running some great sales right now if you need a new duffel. get a bag with backpack straps in order to easier carry it.

my pack list is by weight. i'm bringing less clothes to bring more shiny things. i am also bringing my lighter sleeping bag and lighter tent. i also bought a sheet of tyvek (the stuff they wrap houses with) i am cutting to the size of my tent instead of a tarp (it weighs 1/3 less).

also look at the requirements for the shuttle.

i am going to have 1 duffel, carry on my sleeping bag (counts as a carry on), jacket (doesn't count as a carry on) and a back pack (counts as a carry on)

everything in my duffel is in compression bags or garbage bags to waterproof them. my stuff sack is water resistant. my back pack is waterproof. yeah if its wet my stuff will remain dry until my tent is up.

last tip, weigh your bag before you go. do not go over 48 lbs in case their scales are off. a travel scale is cheaper then overage costs. call the airline if you have any questions and memorize their requirements. you don't want to pay more then you already have to.

Tue May 24, 2011 4:32 am

i also wanted to add that military duffels are mostly too big and will incur overages unless you are active duty military

Tue May 24, 2011 4:34 am

I use a backpacking backpack from North Face and a medium/large rubbermaid bin. It's a miracle but all of my stuff fits in those two items. I have flown for 6 festivals and have never had a problem. I don't bring a lot of outfits so that cuts down on the amount of luggage I need but I always have enough room to bring items that keep me warm, dry and happy. An added benefit of carrying a rubbermaid bin is that it makes an excellent packing box for goodies you bought at the festival. I have consistently bought gorgeous pottery in the Crafts area and it has always made it home in one piece.

If you're taking the shuttle from the airport, the festival workers ask that you only bring 2 bags so that everyone's stuff can get on the bus. They're always appreciative when I show up with my 2 bags of reasonable weight.

More women, less stuff is their motto.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:15 pm

I use a wheeled duffel from cabela's. it is available in a variety of sizes so that's where one must be careful. i think i have the midsize. It holds a ton of clothes and is quite durable. if i crammed it full, it would probably be overweight, but we play the "scale game" before every flight.

i also take two small back packs on board-one under the seat in front and one to put in the overhead.

this way, i only have to pay for one checked on us-domestic flights.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:36 am

Don't max your size and weight on your way to Fest: leave room for added dirt and damp, and lovely acquisitions. An easy way to save space for purchases is to pack a wad of bubble wrap. If you buy something fragile, it will protect it. If your additions aren't fragile, give away the bubble wrap.

Packing bags (Pac Mate works better than Eagle Creek) that you squeeze the air out of, to make a vacuum, are amazing space savers, but can end you up with too much weight. One approach is to take a couple largish ones and only use them on the way home.

Take less. It's just a week. How small a pillow would work for you? Those inflatable U shaped travel pillows aren't half bad with a T shirt over them. Don't take full size towels. A few dish towels and a few washcloths will suffice: after a shower, dry with the washcloth-- keep wringing it out-- and you'll be dry enough that in hot weather you'll scarcely even need the dish towel to finish the job. Take just the amount you'll really use, of toothpaste, shampoo, sunscreen, etc. (Snap top contact lens cases work as containers.). Take a few tiny LED flashlights, on neck strings, or a headlamp. No need for a big heavy flashlight. Pack plenty of socks and undies, but you may not need lots of mid weight Ts - it's usually either too cold or too hot for them. For fancy, look at silky stuff that takes little space.

And once you have only what you "need" (and I"ve done this for years of travel and have survived)-- at the end take three items back out!
Remember, there are thousands of other women there, if you need a safety pin. Less is best!

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:52 pm

Macosta -- you just gave me a scare. I'm going to fly delta, and I just bought a 62-inch duffel a couple of weeks ago. I just looked at their website, and, phew! it's 62, not 60.

I haven't flown in a few years, but for years I did, and my biggest tip is to get creative. Instead of checking the tent as a separate piece of luggage, you can maybe distribute the parts among the two other bags to get them close to the weight limit (but, I agree with Colleen, leave some room for expansion).

I used to make a wrap, using the tent poled as the center, then rolling the tent cloth and sleeping bag and tarp around it, compressing as I rolled, and sliding it into a duffel. This year, I think at least part of my tent will be going into my clothes bag.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:12 pm

i bought a sheet of tyvek and it rolls down to a quarter of the size and weighs a quarter less. i cut the tyvek down to fit under my tent exactly.

i am packing my travel scale to make sure i'm underweight. better safe then sorry.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:59 am

the tyvek sounds like an interesting idea. is it the "homewrap"? have you already tried it? according to the home depot description it breaths but doesn't let water in.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:29 am

A friend of mine "re-tweeted" the link to this article on flying with sex toys. Some humor, some plugs for Good Vibrations, and some seriously helpful information.

http://sfg.ly/inkw7p

Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:24 pm

yes. it is housewrap. i bought it on ebay. it came with grommets but you can just add duct tape tabs. i cut it to fit my tent and then added the grommets. i was able to cut it to the size of the tent and then add a bit for the vestibules.

oh i haven't tried it yet but it has been used for years on the Appalachian Trail by ultralight hikers so it should be okay. it is just a second protection layer under the footprint. so i don't need it to be bombproof, just protective and light.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:12 pm

beachgrrrl--how do you carry a big rubbermaid into the woods to camp? seems it would have to be strapped to something wheeled. or i guess not everyone goes very far into the woods to camp. but i do. i really like the idea of the rubbermaid though. does anyone know if i could use a metal wheely thing to roll it and if so, if it could be attached to the bin or something for check in? any ideas welcome. thanks!

Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:52 am

macosta--can the tyvec be used as a tarp hanging above the tent too (for rain)? it is on ebay right now--9' wide and only $1.75 per ft. thought shipping is $10, still seems like a pretty good deal.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next