View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Biting Bugs and such.... 
Site Admin

Hate them teeny tiny bugs that swarm around your head all the time?
A little vanilla extract on the brim of your hat acts as a “natural” gnat repellent.

Natural mosquito repellents:
Require more frequent reapplication (at least every 2 hours) and higher concentrations.
Different mosquitoes require different oils, not sure which work on our land.

Citronella Oil
Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
Cinnamon Oil
Castor Oil
Rosemary Oil
Lemongrass Oil
Cedar Oil
Peppermint Oil
Clove Oil
Geranium Oil
Possibly Oils from Verbena, Pennyroyal, Lavender, Pine, Cajeput, Basil, Thyme, Allspice, Soybean, and Garlic

FROM THE FARMER'S ALMANAC:
Burn a little sage or rosemary over coals to repel mosquitoes.
Rubbing the skin with baby oil or imitation vanilla extract repels biting insects such as mosquitoes and blackflies.
Some people swear garlic works and swallow slivered garlic to ward off these summer pests. Others take garlic tablets or rub garlic juice directly on their skin.
Some people have luck with high doses of vitamin B1 (100 milligrams, two or three times a day), but it doesn't work for everybody.
Rub cider vinegar on your skin to repel insects. If you take in enough cider vinegar by putting it on foods you eat, you'll develop a body odor that will repel insects, including black flies.

A natural way to repel insects, oil of lemon eucalyptus is one answer. Its active ingredient is p-menthane-3,8-diol (PMD). This EPA-approved repellent provides the longest-lasting protection of all plant-based products. It provides protection similar to products that contain low levels of DEET (a chemical we'll discuss on the next page). Oil of lemon eucalyptus poses no threats to the environment, and the only potential risk to your health is eye irritation if you apply the product directly to your face. It's effective in repelling mosquitoes, biting insects and gnats.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:33 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks BB

Now where would one buy oil of lemon eucalyptus?

Jo

Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:06 am

most health food stores have oils, course many places carry the premade natural/safe bug sprays...and great stuff sold at crafts on the land

Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:22 am
Site Admin

There is GREAT premade stuff available, especially from Joie Grrl Herbal Essentials

I have not been able to track down "Lemon Eucalyptus" Oil and am not even sure if it is an oil, or a mixture of lemon and eucalyptus.

I was actually looking for how to keep them pesky "no see ums" from swarming from my eyes. I have walked around with my hand over my head, mimicing a rooster's comb, as I was told they go to the highest point. Works kind of, but looks silly as hell and is almost as problematic to keep my hand up as is dealing with swatting all the time.
So, since I have found out how much vinegar is good for, I thought I would check it out and see if it is good for them too... and lo and behold, I find vanilla extract works... So that I am going to try this year. Watch me attract bees with it though... AIEEEEE

Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:56 pm
Profile WWW

My one and only post this year about the effectiveness of catnip oil spray as an alternative to DEET products.

http://www.miskeptics.org/2011/06/does- ... osquitoes/

Over the years, I have tried different sprays sold at pet stores and different brands work better than others. I find Kosmic Katnip to work well and am testing Xtreme Catnip spray with good effect because it claimed to be super concentrated. I prefer it because it doesn't have any lingering smell like all other non DEET products. I have found I have to apply it more often, say every hour during peak times, dawn or dusk, but can spray it on my face head and neck without an allergic reaction.

As my sister SKWD rightly points out, covering up is best, but for those of who love to use this one week a year to shed our protective layers (and for whom the mosquitos just LOVE) I offer this option.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:43 pm

If my expectations couldn't wait to change one's mind about you, i should tear up beautiful vision, settle this with hard to get obsessed? Toms Ikat Women Vegan Classics Pink off brand toms The residential areas of Swindon are obviously on the Walkers campaign map this is real crisp territory. Toms Dots Women Classics Beige 2014 Toms New Arrivals Colorful Flower The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has called autism a national public health concern whose cause and cure remain unknown. where to find toms shoes in baton rouge toms youth size 6 We go above and beyond typical market coverage, said Bruce E. gold toms youth Childhood is a dream, youth is the youth song, poem, then the middle age is a novel look at the face in the mirror, lingering heart too much dismay, suddenly look back, who has aged, heart filled with too many gentle love, warm in similar between the moon and sun for the vicissitudes of life, see as far as the bustling world, we always think time will wait for us, allowing us to again, make up the regrets in life, do you not know that a time to no longer returns, we both have devoted much sincere and warm days, ultimately is so shining moment in life, leaving behind only a faint fragrance, several years between the vicissitudes of life, life is dull, is generally small, are stacked into a wonderful story, activation of touched by the real life and our spiritual life, inadvertently quietly. childrens toms where to buy toms shoes blogs However, he does not know, when he finish the sentence, and turned to leave, she could not see his back, she was crying, she cried hoarse voice said :you are wrong, i ! where can i buy toms crochet shoes <a href="http://stammler.com.br/images/tomsoutlet/New-Arrivals-Toms-Points-Blue-id-21.asp">New Arrivals Toms Points Blue</a> If i cannot bear to think of the past, the past, although when the incident. Toms Earthwise Women Classics Pink <a href="http://tunkedata.com/images/tomsoutlet/baby-toms-shoes-infant-id-33.asp">baby toms shoes infant</a> I can't imagine, after separation, the city, whether can let me stay. toms sale clearance
zxgxleds http://boatserv.brinkster.net/images/to ... -id-39.asp qsqnnvtf

Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:34 pm

I got a positive attitude to things, i got will not regret that i did not spend time at university, i got a lot of true honor now i be in a calm mood, sitting in front of the computer code. toms shoes for men toms for sale for women Lions, tigers, bears, birds, llamas, bison, ostriches, emu, pigs, monkeys, and it doesent cost you anything, truly nice to have when your on a budget and need something for the family to do. buy toms wedges discount toms outlet store If you are friends with me, you're probably getting for Christmas a shirt with the Olympic rings on it! hello kitty toms for sale Toms Womens Mazarine Split Joint Stripe Charming Beige Also, known as an underbite, this condition results in the appearance of a prominent chin and bite relationship where the lower teeth are in front of the upper teeth when the jaw is closed. Womens Toms Cordones Shoes Grey And your eyes, your eyes like the tender moonlight, warm and soft let me heartache. Toms Womens Wedges Shoes Black Toms Womens stripe shoes Deep Blue White The company originates perfection in your product and it certainly showed the comfort of running barefoot. toms shoes coupons 2013 <a href="http://gizmosupport.com/images/tomsoutlet/stores-that-sell-toms-shoes-near-me-id-43.asp">stores that sell toms shoes near me</a> I don't know how to maintain, but suddenly everything only consideration for others, not to care about, afraid of hurt feelings! New Arrival Toms Women/Men Botas Coffee <a href="http://emon.com/images/tomsoutlet/Toms-Kids-Glitter-Shoes-Blue-id-93.asp">Toms Kids Glitter Shoes Blue</a> I really hate plow father unexpectedly so a gas, a sister to do what, what, not just left a yellow hair, about a boy, i heard the boyfriend is the jiangxi pingxiang person, and the barber, but what the hell, also worthy father moving so much posture, forcible interference, retroaction, a hundred-percent tyrant, hate not revile the. New Arrival Toms women shoes Red flag
toppyrky http://avahandfab.brinkster.net/images/ ... -id-20.asp qiwdncdn

Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]