Countdown to Festival:
Days  
Hours  
Minutes  
Seconds
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
food for my daughter 

Last year I brought my 11 year old daughter for the first time (my second). Everything was awesome, but she is a relatively picky eater and so she survived the entire week on watermelon from the kitchen and pepperoni and cheese calzones that we bought from the tuck shop. Oh, and Richard D's from the ice cream truck.

My daughter doesn't eat nuts of any kind (no allergies, just doesn't like them) or sandwiches. I am already taking way more stuff than I really want to and am loathe to add barbeques and meat and coolers full of food to the mix so I can feed this kid. Any bright ideas?

Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:06 am

She survived last year on the diet you wrote about. She won't starve for 1 week. And maybe this year she'll expand her horizons.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:08 am

I would encourage her to explore her food likes and dislikes at fest, she may discover that she likes new things.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:56 am

I would brainstorm this with your daughter. Work with her to explore foods she will eat that can be easily brought to the land (granola bars, protein bars, meat jerky, etc.) Have her take some responsibility around the issue. At eleven, she should be able to help with the solution.

The tricky thing about relying on the concession stand is that sometimes we run out of stuff. Especially toward the end of the week.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Children will not starve themselves I would have talk with her like another suggested plus kinda put my foot down and say this is the food that's here. Buying something once aday would be good. I've raised 2 kids and can remember the pieces of watermelon in each hand but they never starved or got sick and usually ended deciding everything wasn't as bad as they thought. Now they'll atleast try anything new. One is going to be a chef.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:46 pm

Does she have any friends from Gaia, that you know of, that enjoys fest food? Maybe, if you could get her to eat with some friends, the peer pressure might get her to try new things. I remember being a picky eater at that age. I would refuse to eat something at home, but if friends offered it to me I would gobble it right up. Then I would come home and tell my mom it was something I loved.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:50 pm

My daughter is only 4, but we have a similar issue. I bring string cheese or cut up cheese, crackers, cereal and milk. Sometimes she only eats that and fruit and maybe some vegetables from the kitchen, other times she might eat a little of something else. I used to stress over it, but now I make sure she has those options and she can do what she wants with them. I would second trying to discuss it with her and ask her to problem-solve or take on most of the burden. I don't have experience with that age yet though. I know with my daughter, what she says she'll eat in the future is often not what she will actually eat when the time comes...

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:55 am

Our kids are a lot younger too but we are definitely bringing some food for them to eat. Stuff like turkey jerky and nuts. Luckily they will eat fruit.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:09 am

I'm a picky festival eater too -- I've decided this year to bring some dehydrated meals (Mountain House ones are sold at REI) which are lightweight and can be easily prepared with just boiled water and eaten out of the pack.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:37 pm

Most kids like PB and J. There's always a huge container of PB at breakfast. What if you took some kind of bread or bagels she likes with little jelly packets? She could make PB and J sandwiches. That would be an easy solution. Or if she likes honey, you can skip taking the jelly and she can just eat the peanut butter and honey. I'm not as wild about fest food as a lot of people but I can make do to survive thru the week. Sounds like you've gotten some good suggestions. Good luck!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:14 pm
Profile WWW

Ooops I just saw that she doesn't eat sandwiches. Oh well, skip my suggestion then. Sorry!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:15 pm
Profile WWW

Breakfast cereal is another good meal replacement (assuming you pick a healthy one!) Just divide a box of cereal into individual portions in ziploc baggies. Saints usually (but not always) has milk, which can be a nice add, nutrition-wise. Otherwise, she can just eat the cereal dry.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:50 am

Power/nutrition bars are something I bring for myself for those times when i don't make it to b'fast. I know some of them have nuts, but if you can find some that don't, they are portable and nutritious.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:50 am

As a pickey eater who grew up at fest, the children's food line often have food with some of the seasonings or weird foods taken out. Such as lettuce and apples for one of the salads without the marinade. Another thing is to bring large yougurt or food storage containers to stock up on what she does eat to keep in a cooler when she won't eat other meals. The dart line also has more plain food like the children's line.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:09 pm

Last year I took things for my 8 year old daughter because I was concerned in the same way you are. I took things that only required hot water to cook them. For example, the hormel instant meals. They are shelf-stable (don't require refrigeration) and they can be dropped in a pot of boiling water to cook. I also took ramen noodles and easy mac (both of which just needed boiling water). I found the process easy and no clean up, and especially no refrigeration! That was of primary importance to me.

Actually, though, I was surprised that Lilly tried more things at the meals than I expected. The rule was that we went to the meal first and then if she hadn't had enough, we would go back and make something at the campsite. Truthfully, I felt like we spent A LOT of time obtaining food. Hope this is helpful. Good luck and HAVE FUN AT FEST!!!

Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next