View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
carts 

Our family uses bike trailer carts for fest (we pack in and out). I keep spare/repair parts in the van.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:19 pm
Profile YIM

I hate to be the debbie downer here and it's not really I just wanted to throw this out here as a heads up for those bringing carts...
We bought and brought with us a brand new cart last year and we marked it with a little purple band of duck tape around the handle so it didn't get mixed up with the loaner carts. On the day before we left, someone came to us sweetly asking if they could borrow our cart just to haul stuff to their car. They offered us collateral and everything and I was feeling in the generous michfest spirit and said "no collateral needed, good luck with everything, just bring it back as soon as you're done."
Of course we never saw it again. we were so trusting because I hate even imagining womyn taking advantage of each other's stuff.
I guess lesson learned, mark your stuff and keep an eye on it. Don't be stingy but just be aware... that all.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:54 pm

We are coming on Thursday and have the typical 'Little Tykes' wagon with the big a** wheels. It's going to work great, but is pretty big and doesn't fold into anything smaller. Will this be a problem loading onto a shuttle or whatever will get us on the land? Anybody know how busy it will be on Thursday?

Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:59 am

Monday is the busiest day for load in. I have never arrived later, but I suspect things will be a lot less busy by the time you get there. I doubt you will have a problem loading it onto a shuttle. In my experience, weight tends to be more of a problem than size.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:30 pm

Thx! So, when we get to the parking lot, do we assemble everything onto our wagon and then put it on the shuttle like that or do we have to throw it all on the shuttle, get dropped off and then assemble everything onto the wagon?

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:43 pm

When you get to the land, you will unload your car at an unloading space where the shuttle stops. Then you go park and go through orientation. Then you wait for the shuttle to come and take you on the land. I would wait until you are off the shuttle to put everything on the wagon. The request is to keep individual items light so that those helping load and un-load the shuttles don't hurt themselves.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:38 am

Reporting in on my experience with my new "TimberRidge Collapsible Deer Hauling Cart". . .
FABULOUS
AMAZING
EASY
FABULOUS
WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD. . .
those are a few of the descriptors I would use. . .lots of womyn admired it, asked about it, are eager to get their own. . .
here's the website of the place where I got mine. . .
http://www.rivercitydeals.com/TimberRid ... L1Z06O.htm

fabulous. . .

Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:54 am

I got the same cart this year and was very happy with it. Soo easy. We skipped the shuttle and hauled our entire camp in one load. I got some great looks from women as I pulled the cart behind me.
I am all about skipping the shuttle with this cart...

Now that I have proven to myself that the cart can handle all our gear in one trip, I think we will do it in two trips next year. I think it was definitely worth the comedic immage of me(a small woman) pulling all that stuff behind me...Wish I got a picture of that.
still ...It's the best cart ever.

Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:27 pm

I wanted to say thanks for the ideas.

I am still using an old luggage cart, a giant duffle for my tent gear and limiting the amount of clothes I have at the camp site at one time. (I tend to buy stuff at the crafts bazaar all at one, take it out the car and swap dirty clothes for clean.) Frankly, the luggage cart is too short and the duffle too big to easily pull it to/from the triangle area, but I too want the option of skipping an over crowded shuttle.

The deer carrier looked interesting, but I'm leaning to the fold down utility carts as I can justify that for year round garden tool use.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:20 am

We used a folding cart from kmart this year and it worked great for us. It was from the garden section and had big sturdy wheels and a telescoping? handle ( it rotated all around for easy turning.). For load in we put all our smaller bags and things in it and bungeed it down. I know sometimes they like all the little things separated, but the lead loader liked it because it was easy to lift and rolled to the back of the van so things could stack on and around it. Once we unloaded our stuff we were able to put our toddler and our night stage stuff in it and pull it downtown. When she got tired we made a little nest in it and she could sleep. It was easy to pull her back to the tent instead of carrying a heavy sleeping kid. We love it and definitely plan on using it again.

~~musiclady

Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:26 pm

Our family took 2 double bike trailers/strollers this year, and an old lady shopping cart. We were able to pack in and out with them. On the way out, wife and kid took fully loaded strollers out to the van, while I finished taking down camp. We were able to get everything else into the two strollers and cart. Both of the carts were purchased at garage sales for under 15$, they are hauled to the fest on a bike rack. We enjoy carting our belongings in and out of fest, walking thru the woods... I get too stressed out waiting for the shuttle. Many times I have left Triangle just as the tractor was pulling up, and I have reached my parking space by the time it passes me! Saves a lot of time!

Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:39 am
Profile YIM

I agree if you have a cart is really can be quicker just to haul stuff all the way in/out yourself. I do imagine a "stable" of them with a few cart station where people could check them out & drop them off at designated locations. Then more of us could handle our own items & the loaders/volunteers/workers could help those folks really in need.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:05 pm

I think that one of the most important aspect of for the ease of carting is how many wheels you have. The Vermont garden cart, (the type that the Fest carts are, and the type of cart I bought) has 2 wheels. The Fold It aluminum cart is similarly built, and the those deer hunting carriers have 2 wheels, too. The one wheeled bike carts may be even easier, but I've never tried one out.

The ease of maneuverability is tremendously enhanced by having 2 vs even 3 but especially vs 4 wheels. My kids had a little red wagon for years. Great for sidewalks and not a big deal in the back yard. But up and down those uneven, twisty, wood-chipped paths? You might think, "sure beats schlepping in with a back pack", and you'll be right, but just try it with 2 wheels, and the difference is amazing!

Of course, my favorite is the Vermont cart. It is so very nicely balanced that even a very heavy load can be maneuvered (guided) with only one hand. You use your body to lean into it to push (or pull, like a draft horse), so all of the real work is done by your leg muscles. No pulling on shoulders, yanking on wrists, lifting with arms. Once you get momentum going, you feel like you're just following it, not pushing it.

2nd principle after "2 wheels are best" is "the larger the wheel, the easier the ride". The garden cart's large bicycle tires are a dream on the wood chips. FoldIt's are smaller, but still quite a bit larger than any wagon I've seen.

I know folks who love their wagons. Centerpiece/coffee table after you've set up. But if you're really interested in an easier haul, there actually is a big difference.

I really recommend you find a way to try out as many types as you think you may be interested in with a load over rough ground. Like trying on shoes/boots. Once around the store may seem fine, but are they still best for the long haul in real world conditions? If you can wait one more year, ask at Fest to try out other campers' wheels. That's what opened up my eyes.

I know, the garden cart is expensive. Prohibitively so, for some. I finally saw it as an investment. I said, "18 Fests with out a garden cart, 18 more Fests with one!!" This will be my 7th year with the cart (I did a couple week-end Mich Fests with just a walk-in back pack, due to family demands since I then, too, so this will be my 27th Fest!--I'll be almost 58 yrs old)

The other problem is size. Yep, it's huge. With just a car, it may not work at all, tho the bicycle tires are easy to take on and off--just remove cotter pin. But I have no trouble what so ever rolling it, fully loaded, straight into the back of my Astro Van. Plenty of room on both sides (and under it) for lots of other gear (more room than I need, really), with one bench seat still in the van.

They do come in smaller sizes, too, same body plan, just smaller all over.

I think I camp pretty minimalist-y. There is only me at my site, and I have a tiny single-burner propane stove, a small cube long-term cooler, tiny dome tent, a light weight canopy, "just the basics" clothing. I mostly eat from the Fest Kitchen, with the option for hot tea, oatmeal, ramen noodle type cooking. But ALL my Fests would have to be the spartan, back-pack kind, with out the cart. With it, I can make a homey space to welcome guests or just decompress, and it's amazingly easy to roll it in.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:50 pm

and bump

Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:45 pm

i have a cart like EL does. and i LOVE IT! i have shared it with many. but, one time it was on loan, the womyn that had it stopped to use a porta. when she came out, it was gone! a worker saw it, did not know why it was there & took it to workerville. two problems with that: 1 -- i am not a worker, 2 -- there was a car key & directions to the car taped to the inside of the cart. she eventually got it back, but she had some panic going on. after that i painted the cart so it would look less like it belonged to fest. several years on now, it could use another paint job!

it fits into my blazer without taking the wheels off, as long as i shorten the handle a little

Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next