View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Advice? Best largest luggage for flying and then woodchips? 

I need to purchase a new large suitcase for all my camping gear etc. I need it to be the biggest and lightest of course. But then there are the wheels...and the woodchips. The better pieces have 4 smaller wheels, but imagining they could be worse dragging through the woods (and chips)? Anyone have advice? Thanks!

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi stillfire! When I fly, my tried and true method is a large rubbermaid storage box and an extra large duffel bag. I have tried various luggage with wheels over the woodchips and nothing is effective really, though the largest wheels are on hockey bags. Even still, dragging was involved because traction is a problem. Once my gear gets dumped at triangle, I take just my tent, tarp and ground cloth and go stake out my space, set my tent up and come back for the rest, all the while on the look out for a wagon/cart I can borrow from a sister for a few when they are done with it for the moment to haul the rest of my gear. I also pack a large trashbag at the ready to cover my duffel if it looks like rain. Hope this helps!

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:00 pm

Addendum, if you haven't flown before, you may not know there are work crews that meet the shuttle to help get your gear from the front gate to load-in. I've learned to ask for help from my more muscle endowed ( and younger) sisters.. :)

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:05 pm

artemis - good advice - I take a duffel and a large suitcase that has hide-away backpack straps tucked in the side. Yes on the garbage bags for rainy set up days. I make sure they are in the outside pocket of my suitcase. It is very important not to become overwhelmed with dragging ALL your gear at once to your site. It is better to take a few leisurely trips than fall over exhausted once you get in the woods.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:39 pm
Profile WWW

I have the older version of this suitcase: http://shop.eaglecreek.com/tarmac-20/d/1382_c_112

It holds all my clothes and does fine on the wood chips. It has wheels that are larger than inline skate wheels...which is necessary on the Land, or you will be dragging, not rolling, your bag.

I use that suitcase for clothes and I use a duffel bag that I bungee to a collapsible rolling luggage cart like this: http://www.banyanpilotshop.net/10Expand ... ggage-Cart

I check those two and have a large day pack on my back. I pack heavy things in my back pack to save on weight in my checked luggage - like D cell batteries. And I pack my checked luggage to weigh in about 40-45 lbs, giving myself some lee-way for the return when everything is wet and dirty and weighs more...I highly recommend that folks who fly do that. That humidity will add a quick 5 lbs to a bag of clothes...

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:49 pm

Thanks all for the tips! I think I am going to take the advice of using a large rubbermaid container and strap it onto a luggage cart. Much cheaper than buying a new suitcase. Though the Eagle Creek one looks nice. I guess I will have to get straps for securing the lid? Ideas on where to get them? I think luggage stores have them, but not sure of anywhere else. Thanks!

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:49 pm

I've seen womyn drill a small hole and use TSA approved zip ties to keep the tubs closed.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:43 pm

Good idea. Where does one find TSA approved ties?

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:04 pm

I'd put a lock on each handle through a drilled hole and tape around the middle.

Locks with the TSA approved logo as easy to find. See the red and white symbol on this lock: http://www.target.com/p/embark-cable-ts ... gage+locks

Any lock with a logo like that is TSA-approved. They can open it with a tool they have, if they need to do so, and then they re-lock it for you.

You can find these anywhere - all the major big box stores will carry them, as will small and expensive luggage shops.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:40 pm

I use zip ties and a note to the TSA to secure after review. When drilling holes in the lid and side of the box, drill on the SIDE of the lid, and side of the box, otherwise if it is out in the rain, water gets in if drilled on top..

tropidyke.. hows the healing coming along? Sad you won't be with us this year....

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:27 pm

I use duct tape on the handles for a rubbermaid bin. Start the tape on the lid and then wrap it under the handle connecting the lid to the handle. It's worked great every year. The TSA searches my Rubbermaid bin every single year, so it makes it easy for them to just replace the duct tape after they're finished.

I use the bin and one large backpacking backpack for flying. It's been plenty. I fill the bin only half full due to weight and also to have extra room for the goodies I usually buy at the fest. Good luck and see you soon!

Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:12 pm

I tape a pouch with extra zip ties to the under side of the lid. Clearly visible and available for use when they open the lid. Sometimes TSA uses mine sometimes they use their own. I can tell because theirs are generic white and my are multi colored.
Hint: pack a knife or scissors somewhere other than the tote you want to get into.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:39 pm

Thank you so much everyone, for all the great suggestions. I tried filling the bin but decided that I am just going to use my old rolling soft suitcase, and put it on the large wheeled luggage cart...because it is larger than the rubbermaid bin. It has some holes in it, so I will just patch them. But I might try the bin method in the future. Thank you!!!

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]