View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Soy-free Vegan 

I don't have a soy allergy; it's more of a intolerance. I get sick if I have a significant amount of it in my stomach. I'm pretty much a festie virgin, so I was wondering how much soy is in the vegan food options. If most meals are full of tofu, I'll need to bring more of my own food.

Aside from this, I've got almost everything else planned for fest!

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:19 pm

I'm looking at last year's program, and the 2010 Babs' Tips for First Timers (do you have Babs' Tips? If not, email her at mypalbabs at gmail dot com)

I hope others will chime in. . .to me, seems like most of the lunches are soy-free, mostly variations on vegetable salads, some with beans. Dinners --- nutloaf has cheese and tofu in it, I'm not sure re: Indian curry, burritos are beans rice and fixings (no soy), I'm not sure re: Moroccan stew, but I think it has tofu, Penne Pasta Putanesca doesn't have tofu, I'm pretty sure that Savory casserole has cheese and tofu, but not sure. . .

so. . .it depends on what you eat. . .my guess is that it is a good idea to bring a bunch of protein snacks to complement the lots of vegetables/fruits available at fest. Each dinner has veggies that are fairly simple. And there is a food line (perhaps the mothers/kids line) that has simple/unseasoned/etc. food. . .

What Babs' said re: food:
Breakfast is usually scrambled tofu or eggs, granola, fruit, peanut butter, tahini, honey, and yogurt. And blueberries! Fresh Michigan Blueberries!
Some lunch and dinner dishes served during the week include: humus, cheese or veggie sandwiches, tossed salad,chickpea and feta salad, pasta puttanesca, savory casserole, bean salad, lentil stew, nut loaf, steamed cauliflower and carrots, cucumber and tomato salad, spinach ragout, burrito night, pasta salad, etc. There is always bread, peanut butter, tahini, honey, and fruit. Lots of fruit.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:50 pm

vegan here. i think only a couple meals have soy, though i am not certain. there is always rice cakes and tahini or pnut butter at ever meal too. i am going to bring 4 or 5 cans of rice and beans to supplement in case i don't find everything i need in the vegan meals. a tip--you are allowed to go in the shorter mom and kid lines as a vegan. i was told this last year.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:42 am

Moroccan stew does not have tofu--it has lentils, potatoes, various vegetables, and spices (I've made it at home a few times). The savory casserole has tofu. I can't remember if nutloaf does or not. The pasta does not have tofu.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:39 pm

Nutloaf has tofu and cheese...cheese free is available in the kids/special foods line, but I don't know if they make any without tofu.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:19 pm
Profile WWW

I hope this link actually works :)
I found the recipes posted here and learned that there are vegan options for all the meals & they go fast so get there early & you might still want to bring some snacks.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6742

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:45 pm
Profile WWW

btw--i am planning to post notices about a vegan meet for thurs. maybe 3pm. will decide soon and post in the unofficial thread. hope there will be other vegans that come (low # of vegans is one of the only things that makes me sad and feel alienated at fest...) anyone else interested?

Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]