View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Stupid bed setup question 

OK, I have a (probably) ridiculous question that's been gnawing at me for a few weeks now, and I finally had the 'd'oh' moment where I realized I could get opinions here. So yay!

I'm using an air mattress. I've always used an air mattress for camping. I like it, it's very comfortable for me. Last year at Fest, I was warm and cozy. This year I'm bringing a pad to insulate against the cold air, just in case the nights are chillier (which, guesstimating from the weather reports, just might be the trend).

The question is... if you're the type of camper who brings something to insulate your air mattress (be it a pad or some sort of foam or cardboard or anything else), do you prefer to put it under the mattress in the hopes that the mattress won't leach up some of the cold from the ground? Or do you figure the mattress will get cold anyway, and you put the insulation on top, under your sheet or whatever, to shield your body from the mattress?

How do you layer your bed (assuming you have an air mattress)?

Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:55 pm

always on top of the air mattress. I dont think it does much good with all that air in there to put it under the mattress...But we do put any extra blankets or sleeping bags under the mattress if we are on a slope to make it more flat....maybe it helps insulate as well.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:12 pm

I agree -- trial and error have led me to the conclusion that putting my insulator on top of the air mattress serves me better. If I don't have the insulation on top I'm almost always cold at night, given the air in the mattress -- no matter what the conditions are. Good luck!

Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks, uusinger and dawniefaye!

Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:27 pm

From another thread.

macosta

Re: Keeping warm & comfy at night, 2 people, minimalist styl
i don't know if it would work but i would try it. you can try one of those emergency reflector blankets for under the air mattress. i would try it first though. also cardboard works great as an insulator under a mattress .

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:36 pm

FriendofDoris

Last year I tried the emergency blanket under my air mattress. It's hard to judge from year to year because the weather varies, but there seemed to be a lot less heat loss.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:53 pm

suji

I have used an emergency blanket under my air matress since I got it 6 yrs ago & never have been cold. I would say it works well. Also is light & very small for packing. They do come in different sizes so make sure to get a large one.

suji

Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]