View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Washing clothes at fest? 

Has anyone had experience/success with washing clothes at fest? How do you do it? My gf and I are trying everything we can think of to reduce the amount of stuff we're bringing, since we're being so extravagant with our tent and bedding. One of our ideas was to bring half a week's worth of clothes and do laundry partway through. She's saying we'd need a bucket or tub or something like that to submerge the clothes in. We're flying, and can't pack a bucket. Any ideas of how we could get one or borrow one on the land? Or other ideas about how to wash clothes?

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:42 pm

One way to do it, is to use a dry bag. One like kayaker/canoeist use to keep their stuff dry. You can use it to pack clothes to keep them dry or you can fill it with water and a little bit soap for washing. Seal it off and shake it around and ring out and rinse. Dry it out and pack it back up.

Another way is to take a day's worth or so of clothes to the water spigot near the showers or in the shower if there is not a line and wash them out there without a bucket. That way you can wash the stuff you wore the day before and the laundry won't pile up. Using biodegradable soaps of course.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:02 pm

There are folding buckets of various sorts at camping gear stores. Check the REI website. I have one that folds down to about 6" square, and opens up to about 10" tall (I don't use it for washing clothes, but for carrying wet stuff to the showers).

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:20 pm

I have one of these
http://www.hotcampshowers.com/inc/sdetail/739
Folds down to nearly nothing. I use it for washing lightweight shorts and underwear as well as doing dishes, and sometimes soaking my dirty feet!

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:17 pm

what i do is bring a rubbermaid dishpan (or two). they fit perfectly in my luggage. great for fragile stuff. i fill in the gaps with socks, etc.

you can use the spigot at the showers, or wash at your camp site with water from one of those collapsible jugs.

one thing to keep in mind, though, is that sometime it's too damp for stuff to dry before it goes sour. so, be careful what you wash. thin cotton usually would dry. also, wool dries quickly. for socks, you might try ones made of coolmax or another synthetic.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:04 pm

You can get several extra wears (smell-wise) out of shorts and pants by sprinkling baking soda into the smelly parts between wears. Whenever I take off shorts or pants that I know I want to wear again, I just sprinkle a bit of baking soda (or sometimes Gold Bond Powder) into the crotch. When I pick them up to wear again, they smell great.

Of course, this method doesn't remove any dirt, but I'm not so concerned about dirt on the land.

And ditto to the poster who mentioned drying times. If we get a few days of rains, nothing will dry.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:57 am

I'm thinking it's discouraged to wash clothes at faucets or showers, but I don't remember the specifics.
I take a folding nylon bucket (REI type stores have em) and fill w soapy water at a tap, bring back to tent site to soak. Wring out well in the bushes (bio soap, natch), take the wrung out stuff in empty bucket to tap, rinse. But I don't launder much.The bucket is handy anyway for toting shower stuff, dishes, whatever.

Don't count on anything heavy drying. Not jeans or sweats. Dress in layers. Thin cotton, merino wool long unders, etc. A nice thing about wool socks is once they dry (after wearing, not after washing) they feel clean enough to wear again. Just have a few pairs to rotate. You'll probably wear fewer items than you expect, and unless you're really into Spiffy, nobody cares if your shorts are dusty.

Fortunately socks and underpants are small and you can treat yourself to a good supply of fresh ones. I put a spare set into my day pack. On a sweaty day, I do a quick shower and put on fresh socks and unders and feel good as new. Even in the same top and shorts.

Last edited by colleen on Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:01 pm

Fresh socks and underwear = gold. And as Colleen reminds us, they pack up small.

I keep one pair of clean wool socks under my pillow. Before bed, I wash my feet (with a wet handkerchief or baby wipes) and put my clean feet into the clean socks. In the morning, they go back under my pillow for safe keeping. That way, I always have clean/dry/fresh socks for sleeping.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:04 am

not only do I keep a pair of fuzzy nite time sox in my sleeping bag but also a dry wool cap for those cool nights.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:36 am
Profile WWW

The year it rained every day I spent a lot of time around fire pits trying to dry my clothes or at least get the damp out.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]