View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Food and Raccoons 

I am trying to figure out how I can have some nuts in a tupperware container and not have the raccoons get it. I seem to remember someone saying to hang it in a bag from a tree outside the tent? Will that work? I could put them in plastic containers, then maybe in a double plastic bag and then hang in a trash bag from a tree? Thanks everyone for all your help. This board is so great. Such helping each other out. I love it.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:24 pm

stillfire, unless you camp far from downtown, you are not likely to have trouble with raccoons except possibly on the first night. They clear out pretty quickly after they figure out there are 3000 humans camped in their woods.

If you feel better putting your food in a special safer place, you can hang it from a tree, but make sure it is hanging away from the trunk so they can't grab it while clinging to the trunk or a branch. Plastic bags do not really deter them; they have a great sense of smell. Also, they have more-or-less opposable thumbs, so a tupperware container may only slow them down for a bit; the more persistent ones will get in. I suggest asking a neighbor if she can put it in a latched cooler or a closed big Rubbermaid container.

Have a great fest!

Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:11 pm

thanks for the ideas, camper. i am planning on camping pretty far from downtown... will hang away from a trunk and see what happens. i won't rely on the snacks. if the coons get them, i will hope that it was nourishing for them! ;-)

Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:45 pm

Stillfire, have no fear, I have what I think is the perfect solution. Last year, I was quite anxious about the raccoons stealing my snacks and medications I need to take. I spent quite a time discussing it on the forum and lying awake at night worrying. My solution - I used a strong plastic container (one of those you buy protein powders in) and screwed a ring hook in the top of the lid. To use it, I put what I wanted to protect from the raccoons in there, screw the lid on, tied a rope through the ring and looped it over a horizontal rope tied between 2 trees ( or over a branch may do). Even if they managed to put it down, I doubt they would be able to unscrew the lid. Clever huh?

After a few days, I relaxed about the raccoons and my food and did have some things lying around outside (never inside as I was warned) and nothing was touched so I doubt there was any about. I did hear of a sighting of a baby raccoon down at RV but nothing else.

Good luck.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:21 am

I must camp in their main pathway each year. I have always heard the raccoons at night. I never keep anything enticing inside my tent. Outside my tent, I use this kind of cooler. It comes In different sizes and colors.

http://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Quart-Playm ... 85&sr=8-10

They have dragged it away, and I've had to go find it, but they have never manged to open it!

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

they do have opposible thumbs though, so they open some coolers.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:05 pm
Profile WWW

Old racoon threads have been amongst the most amusing on the boards! We didn't see any last year. You can buy bear proof containers at REI or through various on-line sellers. They are pricey but work well. http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/ ... 4Aod-zEJgA

Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:40 pm

Well, if you want to be certain, you can do what they do at campsites in the Grand Canyon and use giant ammo containers. They can be found in most Army surplus stores. These keep everything out and in a pinch you can wash your clothes in them, but oh, that is another story.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:13 pm

We use a cooler and a plastic tote then and tightly wrap bungy cords around each in both directions. We have never had a problem with them, but we do camp downtown. Last year I heard some racoons got into some things in the very back of the hill between Gaia and Sprouts early in the week.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:09 pm

We use a cooler with a small, relatively light weight chain wrapped around (through the handles, longwise) that is secured with a bolt and wing nut. so far they have not been able to unthread the wingnut from the bolt.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:28 am

When I camped way out yonder, I never had any food at my campsite. Now I'm by downtown, last 7 years, I have a small working kitchen. I have never had coons visit (that I know of) but I have been raided by some smaller rodents. Mice? Ground squirrels? Stuff I stupidly left out. I keep my cold food in a long term cooler with something heavy on the lid. And my crackers, oatmeal etc I keep in a small metal tool box with latch. Never been filched from. This year I'm switching from tool box to tin canister, like popcorn comes in.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:51 am

I have never had a raccoon problem in the zone...we keep our food in rubbermaid bins and regular coolers, but there have been many times when hot dog buns or a bag of chips were left out on the table and nothing happened.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:04 pm
Profile WWW

Hi....new to fest but not the raccoon situation. I figure you can make smaller versions of this.

We had a camper that stayed on site and we fed the birds...and kept the seed there. Everything got into it till
my friend used a small metal garbage can. (you would not believe what they did to the plastic one)

He used...in this order. s hook, chain, extension spring, more chain, and s hook. You hook all these together,
so not a loose mess....and can leave the whole thing attached to one handle, just release it from one side.

S hook went on the handles. Took the chain under the handle on the can. That was the last of the
raccoon problem. Just need the chain to be short enough so there is pressure from the extension spring
on the lid. You don't have to hang it but if they are stealing the entire cooler, maybe chain (rope, band) it to
a tree to save you the hunt. Should work on the coolers too.

I am sure you can make smaller versions.

I am also happy to hear you have had luck with bungies. We didn't but our camp was not so populated

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]