View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
What will you do/bring differently next year? 

I do feel a bit guilty about it...but I use disposable plates at fest. I don't use them any other time of year (and I live in Portland, OR where we compost/recycle more of our stuff ;o), but I just do not want to spend time at fest washing dishes. And, honestly, I find the dishwashing stations kinda gross after the first day or two.

Even worse...I use the plastic-y kind (ducks for cover ;o). I have tried lots of different things over the years (this will be my 21st fest), and any kind of paper/Chinet plates I have used disintegrate before I am done eating...plus I like my plates sectioned so that all of the food doesn't run together and my salad dressing stays where it belongs. I buy and use just what I need each year. I pack them in my gear bag (I fly) and each morning I put 2 or 3 in my day pack, in a big ziploc bag, to use for the day. That way I don't have to worry about going back to my tent, I try to always have one or two in there all the time. If you don't care about the sectioned plates, the flat ones will take up even less space in your pack...but really, those few plates hardly take up any room in there.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:21 pm

@ Jillith- don't feel guilty about using disposables, especially since you seem so mindful about it. We all have needs & fest is a good place to practice getting them met without attaching negative feelings.

Another dish/washing suggestion, as a DART camper with zero ability or access to dishwash on the Land, I learned a trick a few years back: I bring a Rubbermaid lidded container, which I line completely with Glad Press N' Seal, sticky side towards the container. Take a little care if using a knife to cut food so you don't puncture the wrap.

When I'm finished eating, I peel the wrap off, bundling any food scraps, and toss it. Usually there's no need to wash the container, just re-line it & you're ready for the next meal. Any drips I wipe out with a hand wipe or damp bandana. This works for me, as having a container w/a lid is essential for safe food carrying. I store my silverware & napkin right inside.

just my 2 cents,
-spark

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:37 am

Here's how I look at it: my carbon footprint is ridiculously low 99% of the time. So if I need to keep my AC on in my 3rd floor apartment when it's 90 degrees out, or eat at McDonald's when I'm on the road, or use disposables once a year, I don't sweat it. And I don't think you should either!

See y'all soon!

Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:29 am

Thanks spark - I've been wondering what that sticky clear wrap stuff is called and what brand name.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:55 am
Profile WWW

Aww, thanks for the support and helping to assuage my guilt, sisters. ;o)

When I was partnered with a worker we used those divided/lidded Rubbermaid containers because she would get food in Workerville and I would get food at the Main Kitchen (which, during Fest, sometimes has better choices, believe it or not... ;o) and then we would meet and have dinner together and share. Because the food was going further and sometimes tasks had to be done on the way back, we needed the containers. But we could also wash them in Workerville, which is a bit better...and also, she mostly washed them, if I recall correctly...

I love the Press and Seal idea! I used to wonder if that would work on my car windows...my doxie, Zelda, always goes nuts and gets massive amounts of nose prints on my car windows when I leave her in the car. I thought that a sheet on all 4 of the door windows, ripped off when I get back in the car, might work. She doesn't log that much time in my car anymore, so I forgot about it until you mentioned the stuff...but now...hmmm... Have you tried it on glass, does it leave residue? :o)

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7