View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
What will you do/bring differently next year? 

I am really looking forward to the cot. I bought an "as is" cot at the army surplus store for $20. It's just like the one I used when I was a kid, except the frame on this one is metal instead of wood. It had a small tear in the cloth, but not in a critical spot, and I dont think I weigh enough to be a problem. I can reinforce it tho. I'm thinking duct tape or a strip of webbing. This one has really no setup at all. Just unfolds.
And now I am looking for some kind of cushion or mattress to go on top and make it that much more squishy comfy!

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:24 pm
Profile WWW

What I'm bringing different this year: My mother, a hammock tent, a swanky butch leather jacket (just got it tonight at a fund raiser!), more toys (if ya know what I mean) and a lot less clothing! I'm bringing a pair of board shorts, and am expecting to wear them almost every day. Last year I wore boxers over panties, and got tired of doing laundry, so I figured with the board shorts I can wash them when I shower and let them air dry on my body. :D Less stuff, more fest! I might also bring a swanky leather utility belt instead of a stuff bag for walking around.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:29 am

herpergrrl wrote:
Less stuff, more fest!

Seriously! Last year I realized that (for me) it's much better to take two things and be Amazon Macguyver than it is to take seven things for every possible contingency. More womyn, less gear! :)

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:46 am

We should have an amazon Macguyver meet up to trade tips and tricks!

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:38 pm

besides bringing a bigger tent which i bought right after Fest. I am bringing real utensils the spork by Friday it was on my I hate this list.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

TofuTattoo, I recommend a memory foam topper. Mine is around 2" thick, medium density, but you can get whatever you want. They make everything comfier!

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Because I am traveling by myself I have to cut back on some items. This year, instead of a chair for the tent site and a lower chair for nite stage, I purchased a tripod stool for my tent site since I only sit for morning coffee and putting on shoes, etc. It's super light and fits snug in a duffel or suitcase.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:04 am
Profile WWW

tropidyke,
Sounds like a nifty alternative. I don't have definite plans re: travel companions/schedule/etc., but it is highly likely that I will have a full-size folding camp chair sitting in my car at fest for the week. I don't use it at fest, but use it for post-fest camping. So. . .assuming I have such a chair along and am not using it, you're welcome to use it for a more comfy around-camp chair.
Your up-the-slope-in-the-ferns neighbor,
SKWD

Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:30 pm

I really don't spend much time at my campsite. Last year I used a cheap blue tarp as a patio floor and an large tarp as a porch/tent covering.

After reading on some ultralight backpacking websites, I think this year I am going to bring some cheap weed cloth and stake out the corners. The weed cloth is super light and packable and lets rain through. It also helps keep the dirt and mud out of the tent.

And for a tarp, I may use 3 mil plastic so I can have the feeling of sleeping out under the stars without getting totally soaked or dewed on and maybe cutting out a ground cloth from the plastic to go under my tent as a foot print. We really got some scary soaking and lightening storms last year, but I did not have a single leak in my huge tent because I had a large tarp covering and making a porch. My porch got wet, but the tent stayed dry.

Plus this year and am bringing the one womon tent and not the giant one. Although the big one is luxurious for two with a nice queen blow up mattress, I really want to pair down since I will have to lug everything by myself this year.

Not a day goes by, that I don't think of Fest. Is it just me?

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:49 am

Weed cloth, eh? That's an interesting idea!

Last year I brought a little plastic doormat (for a car floor, actually) for my patio. It was small and great, but heavier than I want to lug in. I'm down to conserving ounces. So I was looking for a lighter-weight alternative. I'd been thinking I'd just go with a trash bag, but now you have me thinking about weed cloth!

(I think about Fest every day, too, CG.) :)

Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:35 pm

I usually bring a "grass mat", one of those cheapo bamboo type mats you can get at the dollar store. They are light and roll up but not super small. Interested in checking out weed cloth. Will check it out CG

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:29 pm
Profile YIM

weed cloth: love it!

Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:07 pm

hey seakyak, thanks for the chair offer. If my old tired back kicks up, I might contact you.
I'm also awed about the weed cloth. My tent has an attached mud mat, but it's small, rolls up gets tossed about, etc. so a nice piece of weed cloth would be perfect. Thanks for the idea. And yes, I've already dragged out some of my stuff and am weighing, sorting, fitting. Is it August yet?? Maybe July???

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:51 am
Profile WWW

It is best to stake out the corners of the weed cloth. I would recommend the cheapo small tent stakes. Some people make their own with cut and bent wire hanger pieces. Ideally you can paint then so you can see. Surveying/landscaping flagging tape is light weight and can be used to mark guy lines of tarps and tents so you don't trip.

I have also been studying the used of polycro (winter window shrink coverings) as ground cloths or foot prints for underneath your tents if you have thin floors.

Ultralight backpacking sites would be great resources for those flying and or just want to minimize their gear. Seems like people bring more and more every year. But it wouldn't be the same without all that extra fluff either.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:36 pm

Just this evening, I was thinking I need to bring fewer projects--multiples of knitting, crochet and sewing; fewer books; fewer notebooks and pens.

I like the weed cloth idea for the doorway. I'm still dithering about how heavy/thick the groundcloth should be.

This year I WILL remember the tent stakes!

P.S. Thanks everyone. These posts help remind me why I so look forward to the festival.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next