View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
tent closet, not a tent as a closet but a closet in a tent. 
Site Admin

i need a place to put my shirts and sock and shorts and such out of the luggage i bring them in... i need organization in my tent. i spent a lot of time looking for collapsible gear i could use and finally found this in stock, check it out.
http://www.firepies.com/campgear.html
hope it helps someone.
Bb

Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:36 pm
Profile WWW

nice...have you tried a clothesline with a tarp over it?
Or, even one of those dollar store closet organizers that has shelves that you hang
on the closet rail, could hang in in a tree (with a tarp over it.) or on the clothesline.
(I am trusting in big, strong trees)

This looks cool, I like the idea that one version has a table top for it.
I wonder how it looks packed up.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:44 pm

LD:
"sturdy steel frame"
how much does it weigh???
what about a bunch of smaller lightweight duffle bags (often available at thrift shops). . .one for socks, one for shorts, one for shirts, etc. . .?
SKWD

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:02 pm

We use a shoe rack. It has 4 shelves, nicely spaced apart. I can fit enough clothes for all week and keeps things nicely organized. We have used this for about 4 years now and love them. $7.50 at Big Lots!

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:41 am

I bring a selection of those spring/mesh rectangular hampers. You can get them in various sizes. Fold up to almost nothing.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:00 pm

The only way I've found to keep my clothes bone-dry is to put them in Ziploc bags. I used to use the huge ones and put all of my shirts in one, shorts in another, etc. But last year I had an epiphany. Since I tend to work early mornings and my brain is quite fuzzy upon waking, I prepacked each outfit into a regular ziploc. I know this sounds crazyflakes, but it totally worked for me. Each bag had underwear, socks, bottoms, and a top of some sort. I kept my extra warm clothes in a separate stash to add as needed. There were a few mornings when it was raining that I wore my pajamas to breakfast, then changed into my dry clothes when I got to my workplace.

Signed,
Babs, who hates to be damp

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:23 am

I have a smaller version of the one BB recommended. It's like a mini dome tent, put up with 2 poles crossing at the top. 3 shelves keep all my (admittedly minimal) clothes neatly organized. It's so cute!

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:56 pm

babs- I do this too, and put one full outfit in each bag! It also keeps me from over packing! yay!

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Location: The Griots space of everlasting peace where all are welcome...
How thoughtful all of you are in packing. For the past ten plus years I actually have a tent closet ( another tent I change in and store my clothes and check hair and make up before attending my next venue ) HHhhhmmm...maybe way too femme,but its how I have to camp.I'm just changing locations for the week...still have to be me and surrouded by what makes me comfortable.
Sorry for the derail lovelies...continue on ;-)

Namaste,

See you in August!!!

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:07 am

Obedeah-- I am femme too. I just do that bag thing because then I am less tempted to say "oh, I'll probably need ONE more sweater" when I am packing. It also helps me get ready quicker, so I can spend more time on my makeup or flirting! ;)

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Location: The Griots space of everlasting peace where all are welcome...
Hello Corabantic1...We all do what we do in our own comfort level...the main thing is to return home to our wonderful FestFam each year ~~~
Much love to you...see you in August!!! XOXOXO
Obedeah

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:47 am

Damp is a problem, and truly warded off only in sealed ziplocks. Mesh hamper is fine for laundry, but some years the damp just permeates everything! It helps if you're diligent about not bringing wet stuff - rain gear, sweaty laundry, etc - into the tent at all. So that's a plug for having a little "garage" tent-- perfect for empty luggage, dirty clothes, a satchel of extra-warm stuff in case, plus any other stuff you don't need every day. And then you can have a smaller (=warmer) tent, and a lot less clutter.

The cheapo version of same is Contractor Bags. Like black trash bags but must be 3 mil thick, heavier duty. Until used, they take up almost no space. Carry one in your daypack, carry one in the outside pocket of your luggage (Mich summer downpours are spectacular). And outside your tent, fill with your "garage items", roll the top snug and tuck it under. (Do NOT count on this to protect food, of course.)

Happy tenting.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:07 pm

Last year I packs things in 6 milk crates. Once in my tent I place the crates on top of each other with the open sides facing forward. Two stacks of three crates duct-taped together. Then I went to the woods and found a stick about four feet in length and stuck each end into one of the two stacks creating a closet pole. This gave me a few shelves and 3-4 feet of hanging space inside my tent. It did not keep away 100% of the dampness, but it did allow me to hang things and avoid sifting through rumpled piles. It is important to keep it from touching the sides of the tent.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Minimalist solution: cardboard boxes. No cost, no resources used. No space in your packing.
Fest uses hundreds of them. First you can use big flat pieces (from the recycling areas or kitchen area or store area) to make tent "rugs". Easy to shake out and they protect your tent floor, feel good underfoot. Then select boxes that haven't been broken down yet, for all sorts of tent-storage categories: bedside items, rain gear, shoes, paper stuff, ziplocked clothing bags (the XL are very handy). They line up along the edge of your tent neatly, make tent cleanup easy.

Then on Sunday, you flatten your boxes and return them to recycling collection points.

PS a small flat box is a good doormat outside your tent door, just tip it up under the side of your rainfly if it's where it could get rained on, when not in use.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:08 am

I do the ziplock thing also. Works great.

Too femme? Huh? Well, I guess you might say that if your personal grooming needs prevented you from attending or participating. Barring that, my hat is off to you gals who look fabulous in the woods.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next