View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
musical instrument 

Wondering how smart (or not) it is to bring guitar- I am just learning how to play and can play a few chords. Is there opportunity to "jam" with others and pick up some pointers. I have a nice wood guitar and wondering how the dampness might affect it. I only have a soft case for it- don't want to schlep a hard case (or buy one).

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:07 am

there will definitely be opportunities to jam with others/ pick up pointers- but as to how the weather will affect it, I can't really say- I've never had a guitar that I paid more than $50 for so I always just brought it along and it always seemed fine to me.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:34 pm
Profile WWW

There are pretty extreme temperature swings diurnally at fest some years. It can also go from damp to dry fairly quickly. If you have a really nice guitar, the climate changes may very well affect it to some degree. It can affect your set-up, cause hairline cracks in the finish or worst case, warp your neck. There isn't really any way to predict how a specific instrument will react. If your instrument has been exposed to extremes before it will proly be ok, if not, who knows? I have seen some significant damage from temp extremes from storing instruments in cars in the sun.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:02 pm
Profile YIM

I would never bring an instrument to fest that I was worried about loosing, either to temp changes or moisture. Remember, we're in the freaking woods!

I have seen some womyn with pretty nice-looking guitars around the fire at triangle. I think they are brave, I wouldn't take the risk. Another thing to consider if you do decide to bring it is some way to regulate the humidity in the case. If it's a beginner instrument, it's probably not even worth it to go that far, just remember it might get damaged. If I ever brought a guitar to michfest it would probably be a heavily used pawn shop guitar. :) Cars can get 200+ in the sun. I'm not sure how hot tents get, but I'm pretty sure not as hot as cars.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks everyone for your feedback about bringing my guitar. Even though I am a beginner (again), I have a close bond with my guitar- it's a beautiful wood acoustic-electric- no special name brand but not a cheapy. She will remain at home until my return.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:55 am

Hi, I would like to bring (maybe buy there) but start shopping now for a
drum to bring to Fest. My fantasy would be that it is made by a woman.
I wish to have it for drum circles, meditation, healing, etc so would like it
to have that energy. I would also like to put my hands on it before I buy it, or
have it made for me...AND maybe the tricky part would be that I prefer
the price to stay under $100.

I am also open to a gift of one that has been used this way,
still prefer built by a womon for womon. (or used one for sale)
I was going to say "loan" but I prefer to not worry about it so
it needs to be mine.

That is my fantasy. I am open to recommendations about drum types.
(it definitely needs to be campfire side portable) I am an amateur...have
not been taught anything about drums. (yes, choir/drums/choir/drums..which
intensive? ) So can't really tell you which I am drawn to. (do I really have
to pick ONE?)

I have been told that drums need to be made to be able to be tuned.
(I bought one at a flea market and it is not. You know, the sort when
you hit it everyone looks at you? No? ) It is nice to know if it is something
traditionally used for the purposes I mention above...as well as if it is usually
a womyn's drum or not.

That in mind......My attitude toward music, sound, and art is that it comes from
the soul, so only being allowed to strike an instrument a particular way, only certain
genders being allowed to play it...all that.....um...no. (unless it is the rules for
a class or a particular circle of course) So if it comes from another woman
who feels the same way, that is a plus.

Soooooooooooooooooo recommendations anyone?

Meanwhile while I was searching for drums made for and by womyn, I came across
these videos that I thought fit well here. Maybe even some have played here already.
I think you will enjoy them.

first for those who think they might be getting old.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYZkFOZoP-o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq1a2xk- ... re=related I suspect these gals capture the Fest spirit
as do these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAArhi8T ... re=related

Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:45 am

Greetings,

I teach many drum workshops at Michfest, and am also a drum seller. Feel free to contact me about any questions you may have regarding drums. Been at this for a few decades, so know my way around drums and the land.

Email me at drummerchrisca at aol dot com

Be well,

~~drummerchris~~

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:57 pm
Profile YIM

Hey drummerchris

I sent you an email. Had something on my mind. Hope all is well with you and please know that your expertise is appreciated by many!

savvy

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]