View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Hammocks - Are they usable on the Land? 

I have an interest in starting hammock camping, as well as attending MWMF for the first time this year. I've never been, and so I was wondering if the trees around the campsite there are suitable for setting up a hammock, or if anyone who's been has experience hammock camping at MWMF or elsewhere and has suggestions for gear!

Thanks!

Mon May 09, 2011 12:17 pm

YES! I've never had a hammock myself, so I'll let someone answer with details, but lots of people bring them. And WELCOME! :)

Mon May 09, 2011 6:30 pm
Profile WWW

hh,
absolutely. . .there are plenty of great places for hammock camping at fest. I don't camp in my hammock, but bring a lightweight nylon hammock and hang in it near my tent and in various other places around fest. I strongly recommend that you email Babs and get her "tips for first timers". Babs is a longtime fest worker and she has compiled a fabulous list of tips, including descriptions of the different camping areas and the map of the Land. Her email is mypalbabs at gmail dot com. My sense is that it might take a bit of time/scouting around to find a good tree combo, but it should be possible.

In terms of equipment. . .I think the Hennessy hammocks are well made and well designed. . . check out:
http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html
which seems to have lots of useful info.
You DEFINITELY want to have some form of bug netting. . .my experience in 9-10 fests is that the quantity of mosquitoes really varies. . .last year there were a zillion (because of lots of rain earlier in the year), some years it feels like there are hardly any.
It will definitely rain during fest, so some kind of effective tarping system is also essential.
And, one key thing about sleeping in a hammock is that you need to have some way to insulate under your body. . .fest nighttime temperatures vary wildly from warm/humid to very cool. and sleeping bags don't provide underneath insulation because it all gets compressed under you.

Basically. . .try out your systems BEFORE fest so that you can spend your time at fest enjoying fest, not fussing with your gear!

Have fun planning!
SKWD

Tue May 10, 2011 1:49 pm

Hairy Heathen,

I too am considering camping in a hammock...

My brother gave me this awesome hammock, mine is a single...but keep reading here ok.
http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/ ... MOCKS.html

I used it this year up north....and I can tell you, when the temp drops or there is a cool breeze
it gets cold...you need to have something UNDER you.

So, I played with that. Things just don't like to stay put. Blanket, pad, etc. So experiment
with your hammock and something, blanket, sleeping bag, emergency blanket, etc under you
and see what your experience is with that.

Blankets etc over me behaved pretty well.

I think it would be a nice cool way to nap between whatever your chosen festivities are.

I will be hanging out at home to test my sleeping experience first.

I think it would be fun to have a little hammock city area, too.

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/ ... BN001.html WILL be getting this....
think I will use a regular tarp though as the expensive ones mostly appear to be
pricey because lighter.

The "Reactor" version of the Eno Hammock is set up to hold a pad and I think that would
be the one I would go after (if sleeping alone) if I didn't already have mine...and I still
might go for it for a camping hammock.

They also have this http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/ ... A4001.html
which is a cool idea but then if I want to carry a bunch of gear...it starts slipping into
"bring the tent" catagory.

I do like string hammocks for summer in the heat. Also great for hanging clothes out to dry.
The ones with the bars I find easier to get in and out of.

The straps Eno has work for any hammock, are easier on the trees than rope and an easy pack.
I highly recommend them. I have no problem with rope, but this is sooooo simple and no tangles.

(ok, I do still carry rope...its a camping staple.)

Sleep around a bit...wink. (that is my plan...be a bit of a swinger...the innocent type) really
lets me try out before I plop myself down for the night.

I hope someone who uses these often to camp in cool weather will share tips
on how to stay warm, dry and safe from Michigan's state "bird"

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:30 pm

I'm getting a Hennessy scout hammock so it better be good for hammock camping! :)

Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Hennessy hammocks are great for camping. . .I encourage you to "testdrive" it before fest. One thing a friend of mine has found in using hammocks for camping, including a Hennessy, is that you need to insulate the bottom with something that maintains its insulation even when compressed, such as a close-cell foam pad or such. When the air is cool, which it can be on some fest nights, you'll want some kind of insulation under you. . .

and, practice with your tarping/the cover of the hammock in rain/wind to make sure you have that system figured out. . .

I think hammock camping is great, but it does take a bit of finessing the gear. . .
SKWD

Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:30 pm

I plan on rigging it up in the woods behind the house tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. I heard about the insulation problems. I was thinking a blanket and yoga mat might do the trick? Then again, I also often find myself not in my own tent come sleepy time lol ;)

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:23 am

herpergrrl

Did you set up with the blanket and pad? How did it work out?

Does anyone have any tricks for insulating hammocks, getting stuff to stay put, etc?

thanks!

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:22 pm

re: insulation underneath you. . .a friend of mine safety pins a down comforter/blanket thing to the outside bottom of her camping hammock. . .I think it is down, it may be synthetic down-like stuff. . . but basically, a "underthehammockcomforter". That might be something to try. Also, I wonder how a ridgerest type closed cell foam pad would work inside the hammock. Depending on the hammock, potentially you could make some kind of fabric sleeve to slide it into.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:19 pm

I got the hammock rigged up and went to sit in it and it ripped :( but I got it from REI so I'll be exchanging it for the same one.

I love the comforter underneath idea and will be trying it as soon as my replacement hammock comes in

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:19 pm

your Hennessy hammock RIPPED??? whoa! I always thought they had such excellent quality! I would expect it to be replaced without question.

I weigh too much for the Scout but the one I would love to try is the Hennessy Hammock Ultralite Backpacker Asym Zip Hammock!!

Not sure my dog could fit inside with me though LOL!

re. insulating the bottom: I know some folks who carry with them one of those super light weight insulated folding things for inside your car's windshield to protect from sun. The yoga mat sounds like an even better idea.

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:10 am

i figure I usually bring the yoga mat any way, but yea, I read about the heat reflecting sheild for the car, and it sounds like that would work better actually... the yoga mat would just kinda sit there and compress. instead of reflect heat. Need to take the hammock and ship it monday. I have actually been too busy :-/

Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:21 am

heat reflecting thing for windsheild vs...

How about using an emergency blanket. The mylar ones are quite small and packable and easy to pin to
a hammock. The thicker ones are more flexible but about the same thickness as the one for the windshield
and you can wrap it around you or double layer it. Also does a nice double as a ground cloth, tarp, etc.

Thanks folks for more ideas on how to insulate against the cold from down under.

Also ideas on the prevention of being dinner for our state "bird" would be appreciated.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:08 am

I've been using a Newell hammock camping in MI since about 1997 or so. This is my second one. Used to be sold by LL Bean, similar to the Hennessey. Bug screen is necessary no matter where on the land. Mosquitoes bad some years, but worse, deer flies in the wet years. Worst problem is when dew accumulates on the hammock bottom, wicks thru and gets sleeping bag all wet and cold. I use a very cheap bivy sack over my sleeping bag to keep dry and warm, and sleep on top of my bag in hot weather. Rain fly isn't necessary, but keeps you warmer when the air is cold. Tarp over tent and entire area makes your experience much more pleasant. Too bad I can't see the stars on a clear night, but dew is reduced and if it is raining, you can't even get out of your tent to pee without getting wet without a tarp. There is nowhere to even put on your raincoat to keep your jammies dry. Miserable without a tarp. Also, I lash a branch high up under the tarp so I have a place to hang my boots so the raccoons don't pee in them, as they have when left on the ground. Not to mention the slugs that get inside of shoes and leave sticky, yellow slime if squished because I forgot to check my shoes before slipping my feet inside. Disadvantage in hammock camping: you can't bring your shoes/boots inside. Thus, I also like to keep a metal Coleman cooler at my campsite, to sit on, to stand on to get my tarp good and high, to keep stuff inside, and to keep my shoes off the ground, away from slugs and raccoon pee. Another hint - if Mother Nature didn't place a tree or snag in exactly the right place to secure a corner of the tarp, you can lash a fallen branch between two trees at exactly the right height and then attach your tarp to exactly the right place. This is one of my favorite tricks for a perfect tarp. Be sure NOT to hang things like wet clothes above your hammock. I did that one wet year when there was too much wet stuff and nowhere to put it, and my hammock was unable to right itself so I got dumped on the ground in the middle of the night. I felt like a baby giraffe being born. I have a favorite knot for securing my hammock to the trees. It's called a "taut line hitch" in this video. It's quick and easy to put up, adjust, and take down, plus it allows you to put quite a lot of weight in the hammock without much damage to the tree bark. Get good at it before you go. I'll try to find a demo on YouTube and post it later. I keep getting timed out and have to keep rekeying this info. Hope these hints help.

Mon May 14, 2012 1:19 am

nutloaf- I do not plan on using a hammock ever, yet I found your post so entertaining. And I think the information is useful too. You make me smile.

Mon May 14, 2012 7:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next