View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Air Bed w/ built in pump, no electricity? 

I found a really comfy blow up mattress, Only problem is, it has a built in airpump that requires power for it to pump itself up.

So I was thinking of also getting a portable power pack for that very purpose, and to charge a fan if it gets really muggy in the middle of the night

Would that be a good idea? Or would that be too much? Any input on this would be Great :)

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:12 pm
Profile YIM

Okay :) since several people looked and didn't reply I think I found the solution... pick another Double high Airbed that does not need electricity :)!!! :) How silly of me!!!

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:05 pm
Profile YIM

Well, to me, it's an awful lot of trouble. However, there are some fancy shmancy campsites at Michfest. So just because it's not my style, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. The first thought that came to my mind is that you could possibly use the electricity in your car. I have an adapter that plugs into my lighter. It has an electrical outlet on it and a USB outlet. And I did notice one year, a couple women carrying from the parking area to their campsite, a fully inflated couch! Obviously it was inflated at their car. It would be a pain to have to walk a mile or more carrying an inflated mattress, but not impossible. It would be a real drag if it lost air during the week and you had to carry it all the way back to the car again for more air though. I know my air mattress usually needs to have air added a couple times during the week.

Now, as for getting muggy at night, I've never experienced that in any of the years I have been to Michigan in August. I am usually cold at night. Cold and burrowed beneath a stack of blankets in my sleeping bag.

I've been hot during the day though. But since I rarely hang out at my tent except to sleep at night, I would not have had any use for an electric fan. I suppose if you expected to hang out in your tent in the daytime when it is possibly hot, then yeah, a fan could be handy.

Really, it's all in how you plan to spend your time and how much luxury you'd like. I am all for making the softest nicest greatest bed you can. A good nights sleep is important to me. Personally, I bought a cot and a foam mattress for my bed for this year. And I'm hoping to bring a full size pillow this time.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:27 pm
Profile WWW

What I want is a bed that will fit two, and will be portable, comfortable, and easily inflaitable without electricity. I will be sharing a ride with someone else and I do not want to use their car power to inflait and deflait the bed. What I am mainly looking for is a bed that will keep the two of us elevaited enough above the ground to stay dry, comfy, and cozy if some how, after all the precautions taken, during a rainy night a bit of water begins to go under us.

So... inflaitable without a plug/or car, elevaited above ground enough to keep dry from sneaky water, and will stay inflaited during a night with two people (300 lbs total).

If you know of any suggestions that would be great.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:54 pm
Profile YIM

There are a lot of air mattresses out there that can do that. I had one once that came with an inflator thing that you pumped with your foot. Another one that used a battery operated pump. We had a little more weight on ours, as my gf is a bigger womon, but it still kept us high and dry. Well, actually, I was high and dry. She, being the larger of us,would sink to the floor a couple times during the week, but that was before we got used to topping off the air every night before going to bed. Inflated things, even car tires, have fluctuating pressure in relation to the temperature.

If I were to buy another air mattress and really wanted to feel luxurious, I would buy one of those that are twice the height of the regular mattresses. They are a little more expensive, but look very comfortable.

Another tip, in case you've never slept on an air mattresses, be sure to have a layer of thick blanket or something between you and the mattresses. A sheet is not enough. The mattress will suck the body heat out of you, If you don't.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:19 am
Profile WWW

I've got a Coleman battery-operated pump. It works great. No huffing. :)

I mention it only because it's an option that frees me from having to find a self-inflating air mattress. I can use a regular old air mattress and let the little pump do the inflating (and deflating). Actually, I use an air mattress topped with a Thermarest. It's cushy, and if the air mattress should happen to deflate overnight, I don't wake up on the cold ground.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:14 am

I used a battery operated pump. A set of 4D batteries lasts for many air up and deflations. If you use it to deflate it gets smaller and easier to pack. I have both a single high and double high sets of queen size mattresses. Both will hold 500 lbs. Coleman single high mattress is the one I recommend. I don't like how the double one sleeps. Just my preference. Top it off and top off again before going to bed. I only had to inflate twice all week last year. I use a fitted sheet and sleep fine, my gf gets cold, so just put a fleece blanket under you.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]