View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Tarping 

Our tent has a great vestibule entrance (actually 2) and our group has a couple of pop-up canopies. We do fine without the hassle of a canopy. Do the canopy thing if you want, just sayin' though, they aren't a necessity.

YC

Tue May 15, 2012 8:21 am

I need a new tarp this year, after over 10 years with my last one which gave up the ghost this last year and shredded due to sun damage, etc.

Of course my new one will be red, but I haven't decided what size to get.. I downsized my tent last year and my last tarp was pretty big. I do like to create an overhang in front of my tent for stepping out in case its raining... maybe 9 x 12..

They are reasonably priced here..http://www.canopiesandtarps.com/tarps-red-tarps.html

Tue May 15, 2012 9:55 am

Tofutattoo, I tie each end of a strong fallen tree branch to trees using a "figure 8" pattern with the rope so that it makes a fence-like connection between those two trees. You can then tie your tarp anywhere along the branch that is now horizontal to the ground. In my campsite, there are two trees that are about 5 feet apart. I want the corner of my tarp to be secured somewhere between them, so I use this method of lashing a strong fallen branch between those trees. You can tie a rope, too, but I think the branch is less flexible and works well for my purpose. And the tarp generally stays tied where I want it. Not to mention that I can hang other stuff on it if I want (as you could with a rope too). When you tie a rope between two trees and then secure your tarp to that rope, sometimes the knot doesn't stay where you put it. I just wanted to offer a way to secure tarps that most people don't think of.

And to those who mock and scorn the use of tarps, my hammock tent is waterproof, no problem there, but if it is raining and I get out of bed, I'm now standing in the rain, undressing and changing into my work clothes (which are getting wet) until I can dig out my raincoat to put over my now wet clothes so they don't get any wetter. Then I throw my now wet jammies back into my hammock tent on top of my sleeping bag. You are probably getting dressed inside your tent, staying nice and dry until you're ready to exit.

To me, my tarp is like the roof of my tent that has no walls, with my hammock just being my bed with a bug net. I don't have the option of getting dressed and putting my shoes on before I open the tent door during a rain storm. Not to mention how wet my shoes would be if I didn't have a tarp. When I pack up my camp after Festival, you can hardly tell that I was ever there.

And if you ever get the chance to take a shower in the water that is flowing off of your tarp in the rain, your hair will never feel softer.

I think whether a womon chooses to tarp or not to tarp is something that should be her choice and others shouldn't judge. But helping wimmin to find a way to do what they want to do is one of the things that the Festival Community is all about. It is in that spirit that I offer my experiences.

Tue May 15, 2012 2:07 pm

Wow, Nutloaf, I'm certainly not mocking or scorning your use of a tarp. It's just that not everyone finds tarping to be necessary. I think they're quite cool to look at but I chose not to do it. Besides, I've got physical limitations that make it hard for me to pith a tent, much less, hang a tarp.

YC

Tue May 15, 2012 2:46 pm

Some years, I've tarped other years no. My previous tent was quite large and tall enough to dress in. It also had a bit of overhang in front of the door where I could leave shoes and folded up chair. It was also a thoroughly reliable Eureka that didn't leak a drop. There really was no need to tarp.

My new tent, also a Eureka, is smaller (and therefor easier for me to pitch solo). I can still stand in it but it's not nearly as spacious as the previous tent. There's just not as much room to move around inside and it doesn't have that front door overhang place to leave shoes and folding chair. This tent, I tarp. I want a front porch kind of place that's welcoming to guests and also gives me a nice dry space in which to dress without being rained on.

Lots of women with super small tents don't tarp and they're fine with getting dressed inside a tiny tent. I can do that. I have done that ... while backpacking.

If I was in a hammock at fest, I would def tarp! Hammock hanging while backpacking = no tarp necessary ... but fest is not quite "roughing it" for me. :)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."

Tue May 15, 2012 5:06 pm

Thanks, nutloaf! I think I can picture it now! I am definitely going to give it a go!

My tent is small. Really small! And this year I have decided to try to fit two cots in there. Now, I'm a petite-type, and I can pretty easily stand up in the tent to get dressed. However, my tent-mates are usually taller and have a harder time at it. This year's tent-mate is not much taller, but still. She's going to have to bend her head when she stands. Plus, I just think it would be nice to have a little dry area around the campsite, and outside the tent.

And now, thanks to nutloaf, I am hoping for rain so that I can wash my hair in a fresh downpour from the edge of my tarp!

Nutloaf, do you happen to camp along easy street, up from Oasis? I think we regularly camp near each other. Mine is usually further up the trail. Often times I hang a CU Buffs flag.

Tue May 15, 2012 9:28 pm
Profile WWW

No, Tofutattoo, I don't camp on Easy St, but in Workerville. (BTW, I love your user name!!) I want to tell you the story of the tarp shower.

So I'm always on short crew, and usually arrive on the Thu b4 Fest, but this one year was allowed to come early due to travel arrangements. So I arrived late Tue and set up my camp, leaving my zippered bag on top of a pile of stuff in the center of my camp, under my tarp, thinking there was nothing of interest to raccoons inside. I went to sleep, and during the wee hours of the morning, I heard the raccoons squabbling about 50 feet or so outside of my camp. Glad that they weren't fighting over my stuff (I thought), I went back to sleep. When I woke and went to get my vitamins out of my zippered bag, I found the bag missing. Uh-oh.

So I followed the trail of broken ferns into the mucky, swampy area that is just beyond my camp, and there I found my disemboweled zipper bag. Surprisingly, there was very, very little damage. They had dragged the bag, probably by the handles from how it looked; unzipped it and disgorged the contents; and ignored most of my stuff. Except the little zipper bag that contained my vitamins. There were a couple of claw/tooth holes in that, but they had also unzipped that little bag and popped the lids of the M-T-**-Th-F-Sa-Su compartments open, but torn the lid off of W. All of my vitamin and mineral pills were stamped into the mud, but all the fish oil and flaxseed oil capsules were GONE. I had a good laugh about these super-fortified raccoons now zooming around in the woods. I gathered my stuff and went to breakfast.

Arriving early meant I had to pitch in and work a day early, which on the Wed b4 Fest is always RugRat day, where miles of rug get laid down on certain paths so wheelchairs can zoom. Due to this obligation, I could only take my bag with me and vow to raccoon-proof my camp that night after working.

At the end of the day, I was soooooooo dirty. I thought if I didn't get a shower b4 morning, I'd be sprouting seedlings from the soil in my navel by morning. BUT - night was falling early due to the giant, dark rain clouds blowing in.

Shower, or raccoon-proof? SHOWER (!!!!), or raccoon-proof???? Decision time. Only time to do one b4 dark, hopefully b4 rain. The fact that the showers were so busy due to EVERYONE being as dirty as me was the deciding factor. I headed back to find a way to stash my bag up under my tarp.

I found a long, fallen branch and lashed it between two trees, right up under my tarp. I got done and hung up my bag just as the rain really started falling. I sat down and watched the lightning and all the dead branches falling around me. Then after the thunderstorm part passed and the rain continued, I saw the river of water falling off the back of my tarp.

I grabbed my shampoo and towel, and took the most luscious shower I've ever had IN MY LIFE!! And my hair was so soft the next day!

The only thing that would have been better is if I could have dialed up the water temperature just a bit. It was a little cold.

Fri May 18, 2012 5:44 pm
Site Admin

Love your story nutloaf....

I think i am going to try the "hang your tarp before you pitch your tent" this year. I always have such a hassle getting it just right, just need to make sure there is enuf ground to move the tent around.

love learning something new all the time.

Fri May 18, 2012 10:09 pm
Profile WWW

I agree. Great story! I could definitely feel how wonderful that shower would have been. Makes me want to be there even more!

Sat May 19, 2012 7:23 am
Profile WWW

yes, lucilledesign I also, "love to learn something new" everytime I go into the forums.

Sat May 19, 2012 11:14 am
Profile WWW

of course!! the raccoons would go for the fish oil!! funny vision: tasting, tasting, "nope. yuck. Yay!! fish in a capsule!"

Wed May 23, 2012 12:56 pm

Yay, I got my red tarp today and also picked up my Aliner from final repairs. I'll be crafting my tarp as the roof to my screen room.

Wed May 23, 2012 1:02 pm

Oh tarping....I have such wild visions about tarping my site. I haven't a clue how to do it and how to find a decent site location to make it happen. I love when I see photos of camps w/ tarps to perfection and I can barely unfold mine.

I am sending out a call for assistance here & now - we may be tired on Monday but if on Tuesday there were some awesome friends that could help me???? I can barter something back? (not sure what just yet lol)

thanks sooo much.

Thu May 31, 2012 10:43 pm

All I am going to ask is can someone start a tarping workshop for those of us that don't have a clue a true virgin. And I say that those of us that set up alone should start a group to help each other.. just one womyn's way of thinking..

Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:42 pm

You are right, I can't make any guarantees on Monday, but I am sure that we can figure something out on Tuesday. Just as long as it isn't one of those monster tarps, they frustrate me!!!

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next