View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Tarping 

I have been tarping for years and fancy myself pretty good at it. I would be happy to help those that struggle with it but I work load-in for shuttle and am usually completely booked until Tues evening. If y'all can organize yourselves to a time and easy to find place and can wait until Wed. I would be willing to help out.

If not, here are some tips.

1. Never allow your tarp to sag anywhere. Water will collect wherever it cannot run-off and the resulting pool will be heavy and potentially dangerous.

2. A small item with some weight can be tied or attached to a line and tossed over a branch. Once the rope/line is over the branch you can attach it to the tarp and pull it up that way. You don't need to climb on anything and risk a fall.

3. One (or more) corner can be staked to the ground to facillitate drainage.

4. One of the best things about tarping is to set it up so that you have a little shelter outside of your tent. If you have a little overhang by the tent door, you can get in and out without getting wet or it will provide a little shade and keep the tent cooler.

5. Look at your site BEFORE you set up your tent. If there is any kind of slope, make sure that the water from your rainfly and tarp will run off to the downhill side. Otherwise, everything from the tarp will be directed toward (under) your tent. So, that means that any convenient higher anchor points would serve you best if they are on the uphill side.

6. Have some patience with yourself. No one is born knowing how to do this stuff. If you are getting frustrated go do one of the thousands of fun things available and come back to it. Or ask your neighbor for help. Fest is full of helping hands but they can't always read your mind :)

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:18 pm
Profile YIM

Oh yes thank you but I don't think I can come home this year until Wed. But would be most greatful for any words of wisdom about tarping once on the land.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:03 pm

Tie the end of your rope to your lovely roll of duct tape and toss! :)

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks for all the advice, wimmin! I've been coming to Festival since 1987, most of the time by myself, and I've never successfully gotten a tarp up over my tent. What makes it worse -- I'm CCE, so I come onto the Land on Sunday, and there are fewer wimmin around then who are available to help.

Great things I've learned on this thread --

-- put the tarp up BEFORE putting up the tent. I would never have thought of that. I'm always having the dickens of a time trying to get the tarp centered over the tent, and it never works.

-- use something heavy to tie the rope to so it's easy to throw over a high branch. Duh! Another thing I never thought of!

Those two alone should help me A LOT !!!

Sisterhood is Powerful!!

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi,
I'm new to camping and this is also my first Mich Fest. How important is it to have a tarp for over the tent and under the tent? Should it be the thick standard type?

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:46 pm

The answer to that really depends on your tent and your preferences.

Over: If you have a good rainfly, well sealed, that is designed to cover your tent properly, you do not need to tarp over. But it will make shade over your tent, to keep it cooler, provide
an outdoor space that is still protected. How important are those things to you?

Under: If your tent is new and well seam sealed, it shouldn't need a tarp under for leak proofing. But the forest floor is abrasive, so it's a good idea to put a tough fabric tarp under your tent, just to protect it from the sticks and pine cones etc that could poke holes (even tiny ones) in the floor. If your tent has seen some wear and tear, I would assume that there ARE some small tears and holes in the tent floor, so tarp to keep the damp from coming in that way.

I'm sure it must say somewhere in this thread, but be sure that the under tarp does not stick out from beneath the tent--counter productive, channeling rain water just where you DON'T want it.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Thanks EL,

The tent is brand new. I put it up and the rain fly seems to cover it very well. I do want to keep the tent cool during so I'll probably put the tarp up and generally want to have a good experience. I'll take all your advice.

Thanks.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:14 pm

If the tent is brand new, it may be that it has no seam sealer on it at all, as some brands assume you will do this.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:38 am

We always tarp. A covered "porch" area is good, so you dont have to hide inside your tent during rain. I like to have several longish bungee cords. You can use them around a tree instead of tying knots in rope.
And to repeat what others have said; any tiny depression in the tarp will become a large, heavy puddle if it rains much at all. Happy camping!

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:12 pm

I'm also a fan of bungee cords. If they get wet or damp (and stretch out) they're easy to tighten up by just re wrapping the cord around the branch or tree. No more frustration when breaking camp and trying to get that darned knot aloose.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:43 pm
Profile WWW

tropidyke, if you'd like, I'll teach you a trucker's hitch, which is easy to tie, easy to untie, and can be easily tightened if anything has stretched. . .it's a reallly handy knot. . . very versatile. . .

I second the "make sure there aren't any sags in your tarp" thing to avoid having a bathtub form over your head.

I strongly suggest using one rope tied between two trees as the "ridgeline" of the tarp rather than to just tie off the edges of the tarp to the trees. The ridgeline rope supports the weight of the tarp. . . and, it can be a ridgeline on the diagonal, or offset so a larger part of the tarp is on one side of the ridgeline. . .

this is a fairly "advanced" strategy, but may be of interest to some:
One strategy for making a tarp not have sags is to add more "pull-outs"/ties to it.. . I sewed (and seamsealed) extra tie out places in the middle of one of my nylon camping tarps. An alternative to that is to use one of those little plastic thingamajigs that attaches to the tarp, makes a tie-out place.. . . OR to use something like a piece of stick/rock, place it where you want a tie out, wrap a lightweight cord around the outside of the tarp, enclosing the rock/stick. .. that lump then becomes a place to tie a rope from. . .

SKWD

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:57 pm

yes, i'd love to learn the trucker's hitch - knowing a good knot is invaluable. thanks.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:08 pm
Profile WWW

great. . .we'll figure out a time for me to teach you the trucker's hitch and, if you want, the bowline. With those two knots you can do a LOT!

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:15 pm

I'd like to learn that. I only know a couple of knots.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:56 pm

anyone who is interested in learning a few knots can come find me at the end of singing circle any day from Wednesday to Saturday. Singing circle is in Area 15 (near the meditation circle) and it ends at noon. I tend to hang out near there after circle and eat lunch (that I've packed at breakfast or brought from home).
Or, you can find me Friday and Saturday before Acoustic Stage. . .I'll be over on the far right/chem free side of the Acoustic stage bowl with my hammock set up in the trees.
or, we'll serendipitously meet along the way sometime. . .
SKWD

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next