View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Chairs - a necessity? 

Hi All,

I remember there was a thread here about chairs and that they had to be low to the ground. Was just wondering if anyone comes without chairs, and if so, what do they do? I am pretty heavy, so to buy a chair that I feel will be stable under me is pretty pricey, and I think i would have an easier time getting up from the ground than I would from a low chair.

Thanks.

-Beth

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:42 pm
Profile WWW

I only recently started traveling with a chair but for most of my 7 fests, I went without one. Definitely bring a blanket to sit on but a chair isn't necessary. A tarp is nice to have but a blanket with a liner on one side works well.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:51 pm

The low chairs are suggested for concert events, so people's views are not blocked. Some people do sit on a tarp or blanket at the stages. You will definitely want some type of comfortable chair at your campsite, though. No height restrictions for chairs at your campsite.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:52 pm

A lot of women either just use a ground cloth/tarp/blanket or use one of those chair back devices (like this one that allows you to convert a Thermarest pad into a chair back: http://www.amazon.com/Therm-A-Rest-8432 ... B000AASJR6).

Personally, I need something with a back that is also off of the ground to be comfortable if I am going to spend 2-3 hours at a concert...but if you don't, heck, don't sweat it, less for you to pack! ;o) I just bought a new chair this year, decided that I needed a cup holder and arms, so I got this one: http://www.rei.com/product/751136/trave ... ider-chair

If you go to fest a lot and spend a lot of time at the stages and the workshops, it's worth investing in a good chair, IMO. YMMV...

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Beth--if you're comfortable sitting for an hour or more on the ground with no back support, then you should be OK using a blanket or tarp rather than a chair. But if you're not comfortable doing that, then you will need some kind of chair.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:28 pm

Ok....the chairs....!

Well tonight I went by my sisters to see what chairs I had.

As I tried to get into my michigan chair, low to the ground complete with fest 30 yr sticker affixed to it.
I could not get out of the darn thing! After much laughter I said, I have aged out my fest chair.

So since I always sit way in very back last row..... past the goddess, I am bringing a proper camp chair!

I also hv a soft flannel ground cloth with plastic underside.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:25 pm

If you are sitting towards the back of any concert you can use a regular highback chair. If you are a DART camper in DART seating you can use a highback chair. If you want to sit closer in for the concert's what the others said.

suji

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:15 am

Especially if you will be camping all week, it is nice to have a chair, something solid, good for the back.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:44 am

I used to just bring a bean bag chair for night stage.... was way awesome and comfortable.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:43 pm
Profile YIM

Oh beanbag sounds awesome! I borrowed a couple of regular camp chairs for our campsite so we will be okay there. I might look into trying to find something inexpensive for concerts. I get pretty uncomfortable sitting with no back support at all.

Thanks for teh great responses, everyone. So close!

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:17 pm
Profile WWW

My very inexpensive "chair back device" is a luggage strap about 3 inches wide with an easily adjustable clasp. I circle it behind my hips and around my knees. It can do double duty as a guess what-- luggage strap! A nice long scarf, sarong or piece of fabric also works.

I've seen inflatable chairs that are low to the ground, great for packing light.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]