View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Quirky Camping Tricks 

SKWD, thanks so much for great tips for keeping warm!

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:50 pm

you're welcome. . .I know what a difference it can make to be warm and dry. . .on some of my long sea kayak trips in spectacular places, I can honestly say that some days, my favorite part of the day was when I got in the tent and slid into the DRY cozy fleece sleeping bag liner!

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:56 pm

SKWD~ thanks for the tips!! I will definately try some, if not all of them.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:06 pm
Profile YIM

I also keep my pillow, pjs and sleeping socks inside my sleeping bag when I leave for the night stage. They stay warm and dry and are easy to find when I return to the tent for evening. Good call on the trash bag for the sleeping bag. It does get a bit damp at night so make sure to close up your bag before you leave your tent and you'll be happy when you return.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:07 pm

I don't know this for a fact since I haven't been to Fest in 20 years, but I think the prevailing wind on the land should be out of the west, off the lake. That is the case here in Lansing, which is southeast of the land.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:04 pm

SKWD & Gleweliz are both correct the "prevailing" wind IS from the Lake, or from the West. However, keep in mind that is the prevailing or stronger typical winds. Storms, fronts, if any, will swirl the air around the Fest Land especially since we are essential in the Manistee National Forest and areas (day stage, crafts, community center, kitchen - main area) are relatively open spaces in relation to the Forest and can really kick up winds. That being said, I have been to fest for the last 17 years (except last year) and we have had just a few bad storms in 120+ Festie days.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:33 pm
Profile YIM

lucille design (or others who might have a response)--do you mean that this would help my sheets to not feel damp when i am sleeping in them?

would a burlap (loose weave) bag work? seems like it might.

seems like someone else posted some other tip about something that would absorb moisture. i think it was called damprid, but no idea what it actually is (like what substance makes it work).

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:51 am

oops--sorry, i was on the first page when i posted my last reply. now i have seen all the other posts and tips about moisture absorbing. still wondering if a burlap bag would work as well as mesh for charcoal. maybe not, as less airflow.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:59 am

I'm not sure, burlap might be good. The activated charcoal I saw looked a little crumbly so the burlap might keep any dust in.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:48 pm

yes--that is my next question--wouldn't a mesh bag of charcoal make the charcoal dust get on everything? i guess i could put it in a plastic bag and then in the tent, be careful that it doesn't rub against anything. ideas/thoughts on this?

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:48 pm

I think I'd put it in a bowl or in a plastic bag with the top left open to expose it. I noticed in the store that some little crumbs were coming through the mesh bag it was in.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:58 pm

charcoal in a mesh bag sounds like you'll get lots of charcoal dust in your tent. ..

please remind me why you're using charcoal in the tent? to dehumidify the tent? If so, please see my earlier comments about dehumidifying a tent seems like using air conditioning with a window open. I think charcoal and all of the other moisture absorbing products work in places that are closed off to outside air such as a closed closet or basement. I don't think they'd work very well in a tent that has lots of airflow. If it is humid outside the tent, it will be humid inside the tent. Airing out the tent when you're around, closing up the tent when you're not seem to me to be the best way to deal with condensation that can happen in a closed up tent at night (all that heavy breathing and/or snoring produces humidity, cooler air condenses it). . .and do all of the keep gear in plastic bags/etc. things to keep gear dry and all of the "don't wear damp cotton"/etc. tips I mentioned in an earlier post to keep yourself warm when it is damp.. . .

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Ziplocs have saved me many a "wee" hours trip to the portaJanes. They conform nicely to one's shape.

Just MAKE SURE THEY ARE WATERTIGHT FIRST! (fill with air to check)

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Ziploc bags with the slider have a high failure rate on the "really being sealed" part. Better to use the regular ones that you have to pinch closed with your fingers. Also, regular sandwich bags have a higher failure rate than the freezer bags.

This has been a PSA courtesy of me.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:33 am

I've used plastic ziploc bags in a plastic coffee can or gallon milk jug with a big cutout (leave the handle on). I knew someone who brought 6 half gallon milk jugs, cut out and stacked together tightly. Empty in the janes and toss the jug. And just a suggestion if you're attempting to use these methods inside your tent ...put down a towel on top of a garbage bag first:)

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next