View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Quirky Camping Tricks 

OK , here's some of mine:

soak a dry small piece of sponge with liquid dish detergent, let it dry and put it in a ziplock for "at site" dish/coffee cup clean up. I use a sponge wand in my food line bag for meal clean-ups.

Take tea candles instead of heavy glass ones. At fest, recycle empty soda/beer cans by cutting a "mouse door" and putting the tea candle inside. Hang from bend up tab. makes beautiful camp site lanterns.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:35 am
Profile WWW

Here's one of mine:

Since I camp in DART & there are no accessible dishwashing facilities, fest suggested I use paper/disposable plates. However, they are not safe for me to carry on my lap. Instead, I completely line Rubbermaid containers with a sheet of Glad Press n' Seal wrap. It sticks to the inside of the container, I put my food on top (and take care not to cut through the plastic wrap), then peel out the wrap & toss when done. Rarely do I need to wash a dish that way; I can wipe any stray bits out if needed.

-spark

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:44 pm

I organize my clothes into outfits (including undergarment-lets and a bandana) and put each outfit in a gallon and/or quart-sized ziploc bag. This keeps the clothing dry, and allows me to organize my tent more easily. I use a sharpie to label each bag, to ease my search for a particular outfit. When I wear an outfit, the bag gets repurposed. Some get used as trash bags for my campsite, one gets used to protect my program, others protect goodies from crafts or bartering. One year, the last one got used to clean a dead slug off the footprint for my tent.

I also leave one set of clean clothes in the car. Right before I leave the land, I take one last quick shower at the Zone showers, and then hop into my car in a relatively clean state. I read this tip on the BB before I came to fest the first time, and I've done it every year. Makes the drive more pleasant.

I also fill up my car in Hart before I come to fest. That way, I can drive several hundred miles after leaving the land before I have to deal with any non-festies.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:49 pm

I like that "fill up before you get there" tip.

gallon zip lock bags are so useful camping!! --all sizes, really.

I use them to pack in food items, rather than in their big bulky cardboard box.

I like that shower idea, too. One of my sad moments is when I get home and take my shower and wash off all the beautiful dirt from the Land. This is a way to avoid that pang, and to get in one last glorious Fest shower.

When using a cooler, I fill it with frozen water bottles. You can drink them as they thaw, and no slushy ice for your food to drown in.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:48 am

I like the clip-on-the-brim-of-your-ball-cap type lights. They (mine, anyway) naturally point to whatever you are looking at. I don't use it all the time, but after dark, around the camp site, they are indispensable.

I have a neon light bar as my "inside the tent" overhead light. I super glued on a magnet to the back of it, and have a small steel bar that I set on the top of my tent (under rain fly). They stick together, lighting the entire inside of the tent!

Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:08 am

EL that's brilliant! I have one of those lights, but don't use it becuz it's too bright up close. Having it on the ceiling of my tent wd be perfect! I love that there is always a way to make each fest a little more perfect! Thanks for the tip! Cheers!

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Gallon zip-lock bags are a must, as I discovered the night I now call "my new definition of hell". You do not wanna wake up at 2 am with the urge to clear your entire digestive tract from both ends, at the same time, and have nothing to use. Just sayin'. Get the sturdy kind. Your tent may thank you one day.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:33 pm

Hammi- I do the same thing (on almost all accounts)!!! Often people make fun of me for being so anal, but I never over or under pack. I pack outfits each in a zip lock bag, including my under thingys. It's a great way to stay organized, and to make sure all your clothes are clean and dry, just in case there's a sudden storm!

Yay! :)

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:13 pm

inyourdreams- that sounds truly awful. Thank goodness for ziploc bags.

Corabantic- I got all of those tips from the BB back in the day, and am forever grateful. (And dryer.)

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:13 pm

I am loving this thread!

This isn't particularly quirky but it was certainly handy! Last year, I attached a string of battery powered string lights to my youngest's stroller. They weren't too bright late at night when she was sleeping after an awesome evening at Sprouts and they worked as a sort of headlights. Made us fairly easy to find too!

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Quirky hu? ...I brought a three wick sitronella candel to the night stage events to keep the bugs away. It was romantic and effective!

I too keep a sacred do-not-open-until-after-fest outfit in a plastic bag... it is useful!

I made a hammock out of a cotton sheet and some paracord last year. Not sure that counts.

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:51 am

Store extra drinks such as bottles of wine, under your car in the parking lot. They won't get so hot and if you end up not needing them you won't have to lug them twice.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:51 am

Speaking of lights: get LED lights that are battery powered. They don't take as much power, they don't get very hot and the best news of all, they don't attract mosquitos! I learned that yesterday on Holmes Inspection, a show on HGTV, when the host installed some LED lights to light a walkway and he said they don't attract mosquitos!

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:27 am

love the idea about storing wine/beverages under the car. One year I made the mistake of putting a bottle of wine in the trunk = BooM =wine all over the place.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:02 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

ok, here is an oldie but goodie... want to keep the damp out of your tent? Get a mesh bag and fill with a bit of charcoal. hang in a corner and VOILA

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:05 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next