View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Foam pad suggestions 

Does the foam pad also insulate from the cold ground, or do you need an additional layer under you?

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:35 am

Yes, a foam pad will insulate. For flying, I'd find the Dreamrest too bulky: snugly packed in it's original case, it's 7 pounds, a roll 25" long and 12" diameter. Could entail a whole other piece of checked luggage.

Memory foam can offgas something awful: I can't tolerate it.

If you're young or tough, a normal thermarest or Z-rest camping mattress, shoulder to hip length, will do. You can add some layers of flattened cardboard boxes from Festival recycling, underneath. Otherwise, stack two self-inflating mats, secured by tying them together or wrapping snugly in something, so they don't slip sideways. If you need something real cushy, you're best having someone drive it to Fest to loan you.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Last year, I used a self-inflating camping mat (kind of a cheap one, but not super-thin), topped with egg-crate foam cut to size. The foam definitely made it feel warmer, and it was at least as cushy as my old air mattress. Doing the same this year too!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2