View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
What are your ultimate favorite snacks to bring to the fest? 

I bring a 'Phoenix's Phood' box filled with cookies, tiny baggies of chips, almonds(blood sugar issues) and chocolate.
I used to bring granola bars but for some reason I hate granola at Fest. At Dest I want junk food that I don't normally get.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:58 pm
Profile WWW

Raccoon proofing is a major issue to keep in mind. They know how to open tent zippers and some coolers even. For this reason I focus on fruit juice or protein-shake stuff in cans or bottles. Easy to transport in a day pack and to glug down when the energy sags. I don't do ice, but if you're going to keep things cold, try string cheese in individual wrappings. Almonds, cashews, pecans are nutritious and high energy, in suitably raccoon proof rigid containers within containers. For stuff to buy, my favorites are the lemon-lime fruit popsicles.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:23 pm

I don't really bring much in the way of snacks, because apparently my aversion to schlepping is greater than my interest in snacks, given that there are snacks at Saints/Cuntree Store. Yeah, they're maybe a little more expensive than the local Meijer, but I don't have to make a trip to get them. I'm especially fond of the sugar free Eskimo Pies that the ice cream cart has. I also love fest food, so I don't feel much need to supplement.

What I do bring: Via coffee and little cups of creamer that don't require refrigeration. Makes life ever so much more pleasant first thing in the morning. A little hot water, and I'm good to go. I also bring drink mix tubes that can be put into a 20 oz container of water. Staying hydrated is sometimes a little difficult for me, and so a little flavor in the water goes a long way. A week's worth of all of these things fits nicely into a box like this: http://bit.ly/10NUL3C

Since all of the things are basically sealed on their own, and then they're sealed in another container, I don't worry about the critters much. Where I camp, there are many sites that have much tastier offerings than I have, so they leave me alone.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:38 pm

I took a food bucket in a 5 gallon white bucket last year with a backpack stove. Non-cooler related stuff. Jerky, crackers, peanut butter, tuna salad, dry soups, my absolute favorite thing I brought last year were the little chocolate pudding cups! Super treat, right up there with Fest ice cream. I found I just couldn't schlep myself to breakfast and lunch and the back and forth to workshops. I rolled out of the tent in the morning and had breakfast and came back for a quick snack lunch at my tent so I could attend all the workshops I wanted.

Sun May 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Stillfire, I have a med/small tool box that I can latch and lock. I also use the tins like Christmas cookies come in, which do not latch, but I've never had a raccoon visit. Once some squirrels got into my brown sugar that I left out, but that was my fault! Ha!

I used to say I needed to stock up on the 3 food groups not represented on the Fest menu: salt, grease and sugar.

Love different nut/granola mixes, or the ones with nuts and rice crackers.
I bring canned chicken (amazingly not bad at all) to add to Ramen, and also little smokies or summer sausage.
Dried fruits (mangos are my fave) and ginger snaps are great for a sugar boost, brownies are also great. Chocolate is just a bit too melty.

With just my tiny single burner propane, I can cook soup, fry eggs, heat water for tea.

Mon May 13, 2013 6:19 pm

I just wanted to say thank you for this thread! Food was my biggest worry when I came to fest the first time. Luckily, my virgin fest year I discovered bagel dogs and diet coke at the cuntree store.
The next time I attending I was with my daughter, so I was even MORE worried about feeding a (somewhat picky) munchkin, so I schlepped in some of stuff. I brought a single propane burner-type stove and one pot. I brought ramen noodles and a bunch of the dinty moore meal thingys in plastic containers (I just put the whole plastic container in my pot of boiling water and cooked it that way, so that I never had to actually wash my pot). I also brought snack-y things: crackers, nuts, granola bars, chewy/gummy candies, pop tarts. I am afraid to bring chocolate because of the melting. (?) We did very well that year, supplementing the fest food that we did like with some other items. I found no need to schlep any fruit or veggies however, which I was STOKED about! My kid is a huge fresh food eater and she was VERY happy with the selection at the fest.

This year I was thinking about actually building on my previous successes and bringing a few things that may require refrigeration, but the things I am thinking of are diet cokes, hot dogs, sandwich fixings for my kiddos (turkey, cheese, lettuce, pb&j). The thing I DON'T like is the idea of dirty dishes/having to clean at my campsite. Therefore, I am also thinking, I can support the festival with my continued purchase of snack items at the cuntree store, so maybe I should just be satisfied with that?

Ps. I kind of agree with Phoenix about the junk food craving at fest. That was definitely a thing for me too!

Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 am

regarding washing dishes...the one year our group brought in A LOT of food (anniversary year and we didn't want to deal with food lines), we just brought paper plates and plastic utensils. Not very friendly to the earth but easier than schelping dirty dishes from the zone to dish washing, or washing dishes where we shouldn't have been. I know there are a lot of good disposable products out there that degrade quickly once thrown away.

Tue May 21, 2013 1:13 pm
Profile WWW

Jenhen, I do the ice thing. Here's my system:

--When packing at home, I stuff my "Fest cooler" with sleeping bags and such. It is one of those multi-day, super insulated ones--a small one, with wheels. Keeps sleeping bags very compact!

--I have another cooler, that stays in the van, that I use for food during the car trip (several days, for me). I load it with frozen water bottles. I may also keep some of the stuff I'll use at Fest there, like if I freeze pre-cooked chicken breasts or something. I flash freeze chicken, ziplock, then freeze that in a ziplock bag of water, so it's in a block of ice. (But I've decided canned chicken is almost as good, and lots easier all 'round.)

--I make the grocery store in Hart one of my last stops, for things that don't store well--a half gallon of milk, for example.

--In the Fest parking lot, I transfer all food going to my site to one of those mylar hot/cold bags, just for the pack in--it will just be there for half and hour or so, and it's cool, small and lightweight.

--First thing when I get to my site, I go on an Ice run. (I like a mesh market bag to carry it). Then load up the Fest cooler with ice and food! Camping close to down town makes that trip easier, I know. I only need to refresh my ice once, usually Thursday.

So that's what I've devised for me in the past, and I like it pretty well. I'm just feeding me, and sometimes visitors, not my kids, not my partner, not a car load of buddies, so the small cooler is plenty.

I've made it a conscious policy to try to not schlep water. I don't schlep ice from the car. I'll buy my diet coke at Saints, but I take Crystal Lite packets. I do ramen, but not Dinte Moore--one of the reasons I changed from frozen chicken to canned. I've not found a satisfactory substitute for milk, tho I've tried several. (I guess I'm picky in that matter)

But I confess I'm going to be looking in to using dry ice this year, see how that goes.

Tue May 21, 2013 3:09 pm

YouBars. Google it. Design your own food bar. Choose your own ingredients, how sweet you want it, how much fiber you want, even the name you want on the wrapper. Awesome for folks like me who have allergies or other dietary limitations. I can't always make it to breakfast, and one of these (my recipe) holds me all morning.

Elizabeth

Fri May 31, 2013 2:06 pm

bacon and cheese puffs rate right up there. maybe this year i will be able to bring along food and eat remotely decently when i cant eat the fest foods. will save for dove bar and pizza pocket too though :)
diana

Fri May 31, 2013 10:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2