View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Cart/Wagon Suggestions 

Hello ladies! I am finally going to do it, I am going to purchase a wagon or a utility cart to lug my gear up the hill by triangle. Taking the plunge. But of course, there are several to choose from.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions - a cart they really like.
I think I want want that the sides fold down, I'm pretty sure I will have to put it on top of my car for the drive. I thinkthe things that would be important are good wheels, axels turn well, a good handle, sturdy but not too heavy?

Suggestions and ideas are greatly appreciated.
I am in the Baltimore area and will be purchasing somewhere around there.

Thanks so much for any advice ya'll can offer.

xo
sherrylynne

Fri May 10, 2013 8:39 am

I bought one of those collapsable/fold-up wagons with cloth sides - Costco has them in right now, but K-Mart also carries them. I use mine to go up the hill from triangle - works fairly well - by staying in the middle of the road! I needed something collapsible so that I could take it on the train in luggage. With a car your options are wide open.

Fri May 10, 2013 10:28 am
Profile WWW

I've see a lot of folks with those silver "Fold It" 2 wheeled wagons. I think many are happy with them and, with space limitations, I can see that that might be a good choice.

But I have to put my vote in for the 2 wheeled garden cart like Fest uses. What convinced me was actually trying out a loaded garden cart compared to a 4 wheeled wagon. A WORLD of difference in ease of maneuvering, effort needed, not to mention carrying capacity. There is something having to do with physics going on, (the balance of the garden cart is much different than the "Fold It") I can't explain it, but the garden cart almost feels weightless. And I know you can feel every pound loaded onto a 4 wheeled wagon. I generally push the garden cart, but you can also step inside the handle bar and pull it. (or actually, you are still pushing, but the cart is following you, rather than in front of you) You must pull a wagon, and the weight on your shoulder is awkward, particularly on turns. The garden cart turns effortlessly--zero radius, when one wheel turns forward and the other one turns backward.

The large bicycle sized tires add to the easy maneuverability. Whatever choice you make, go for the biggest wheels possible. Little red wagon wheels are a big PITA on the paths.

Size. Well, I drive an Astro van, so I actually have plenty of room for the completely packed cart, several passengers, and lots of extra gear, so space just isn't an issue for me. But I do know that the 2 wheels on the cart slip off by removing 2 cotter pins, and then what you've got is a box about the size and shape of 2 extra large rubbermaid bins. Pop the wheels back on when you park and you're good to go.

The first Fest I went to, where I really struggled physically, was my 18th Fest, when I was 48 yrs old. I knew I wanted to have a few more amenities (how can a body get themselves up and drag themselves to Saints for coffee if you haven't had your coffee yet? ;D !!) But the pack-in/pack-out was almost too much for me! So I started asking folks along the path, "Can I try out your wagon, your cart, your deer carrier?" The garden cart was so clearly superior to any other, I had a hard time believing the difference! My new motto was: 18 Fests without a garden cart, 18 more Fests with one! (Gonna be looking for new motto, as I'm getting closer to my 36th Fest)

The American-made version is called the Vermont Garden cart (easy to google). They come in different sizes, and I can't really remember if I chose the largest or the medium size. But I actually bought a Chinese knock-off because the price difference was so great. The wood it's made from is of a lesser quality, and the tires had to be replaced after 4 Fests, and I do actually believe in Buy American, but what can I say, I was seduced by the lower price.

Good hunting! If you possibly can, try out your choices in as close to real-life conditions as possible!

Mon May 13, 2013 5:59 pm

I used the collapsible one from Costco to luge my toddler around fest. I think there is a weight limit on it. I didn't use it for gear. I did get quite damaged on the plane though. So that is my warning. Mine has a canopy to it... it isn't water proof. It doesn't travel well through beach like sand when anything is in it. Good luck.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:43 pm

i just bought this http://www.foldflatworld.com/ i am taking it on amtrak with me so the folding was important.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:02 pm

Yes, the Costco kind of collapsible fabric wagon (also sold at KMart) does have a weight limit. I learned this the hard way the first time I used it at Festival. Now I take one large 50 lb bag at a time up the hill. The wheel peeled off it's base but I was able to repair it once I got home. I used it last year with no problems. No damage problems taking it on the train.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:29 pm
Profile WWW

My friend brought a muck bucket cart that was perfect for taking our stuff up and down the hill. It was easy to push, pull and navigate. The wheels are large, but not too big to hamper fitting in the car. It is light, and the bottom lip folds up. We actually stacked our containers on it, used bungee cords to secure it, and loaded it like that right onto the trailer that takes you on and off the land, as well as into our car. We will be using it again, and you can typically find one at a local feed or ag store for well under $75.
Here's what it looks like: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/t ... art-300-lb

Keep in mind it is not helpful to use DURING fest - like to cart ice and such to and from your camp, unless you attach a container to it.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:32 pm

our family uses baby jogging strollers and a large wonder wheely. They break down and are carried on a bike rack at the back of the van. We schlep, so having something with 3-4 wheels is important to help us get from the entrance to camp. If you bring a cart, and can fit everything in it, consider skipping the tractor in, and just packing your self in. Many time we have left the load in area when the loading is just starting, and we have gotten to triangle before the tractor.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:30 pm
Profile YIM

Have to agree with El on the ease of pushing/pulling a garden cart ...I have a smaller size version than the fest ones ...got it to haul my big drum around the land...and use to walk infront of the bar with the cart attached with an extra long belt ... pulling it as I went ... really work extremely well for me for well over a decade...and lots of folks always wanted to borrow it when I wasn't using it.

Liked the solid wheels that didn't lose air, the large diameter of the wheels (the bigger the better for wheels on land with the sandy spots, wood chips and uneven pathways). Wished it folder down better, but was really nice that t had solid sides ...made it easy to add a few eye bolts in strategic spots...used to bungy down the load or keep drums/gear loaded weather protected and tarpage used in place....

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:59 pm

Can someone remind me, Fest has those large 2-wheeled carts that we can borrow if you're lucky right? I'm driving a car this year and dont think I have space to haul my garden wagon. Hoping I can get my hands on one of those carts! If possible, where can I borrow that 2-wheeler from?? Triangle? Thanks ya'll!

Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:25 am

Perisia, Fest does have carts for womyn to borrow at Sprouts, over 50's and DART, but not for the general population, as far as I know...

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:52 pm
Profile YIM

Kirsten- I've camped up by you for three years (not last year). Could I use a stroller of yours during the week for my kiddo? Lisa and kid-Hannah.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:57 pm

Berrypatch, Just looked at the cart/stroller situation. Looks good! we have a double wide stroller that you can use. The front wheel does not pivot, and I am not sure if it reclines, but you are welcome to use it. We will be getting into fest on Monday night, and hope to camp in the same place. Otherwise you can track us/Elin down!

Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:27 pm
Profile YIM

Might backwebrelationship the actual huge within the actions.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:32 am
Profile WWW

Kirsten- thanks. I've been trying to get Hannah into prepping for fest by taking walks but knowing that there are wheels available eases my mind a lot.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]