View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Remember the mosquitos! 

Festie sisters! Remember the Michigan mosquitos!

Best Yet Natural Mosquito Repellant Spray
In 4 oz. boxes of 4
In quarts
and ON SALE—2 quarts at once

New CedarCide phone number and website

877-669-0482
http://www.CedarSiders.com

No joke. This is great stuff that WORKS. Completely non-toxic.
Organic biological spray repellant.
Use it on yourself, your kids (even babies), your pets.
Smells like a cedar closet. Not just for mosquitos.
Also for ticks, biting flies, gnats and chiggers, fleas and bedbugs.
Made from fractionated Red Texas Cedar oil and hydrated silica.

Take it from a chemically sensitive sister. You want this. It is totally worth it. They sell it in everything from the 4 ounce spritzer to a 55 gallon drum! I should own stock, but I don’t. Since I cannot get to Fest and share my quart with you, this is the next best thing.

Your SillySister, PGar

Tue May 21, 2013 11:57 pm

Bumper crop of the pesky bloodsuckers here in Lansing right now.

Elizabeth

Fri May 31, 2013 1:38 pm

Am I the only one that "Skin so Soft" works well for ??

Fri May 31, 2013 3:05 pm
Profile WWW

tropidyke. . .it's great that Skin So Soft works well for you. . .and please remember that Skin So Soft is REALLLLLY smelly and can be problematic for those who are sensitive to scents. . .
Meanwhile, I generally prefer the "mechanical" method of bug avoidance to the "chemical method". . . I have used long sleeve cotton shirts and hats/headnets in the past, and in the past 8-10 years have used a bug shirt from http://www.bugshirt.com/
. . .it is FABULOUS. . .really the best way to avoid getting bitten by bugs. . .
hopefully, this year will be one of those "not as many mosquitoes" years. . .
SKWD

Fri May 31, 2013 5:12 pm

I must have blocked them from my mind... and they hadn't hit Ohio yet, at least not where I was. But I am in Michigan now and sitting here slapping myself to keep the buggers off of me. They're bad. I definitely need to look into natural repellents. :)

Fri May 31, 2013 6:51 pm
Profile WWW

My GF found Bug Bar in Ludington a couple of years ago, and I love it. Not greasy, but nicely moisturizing (shea butter, emu oil, cocoa butter base) a gentle natural scent (and this is coming from someone who prefers unscented products all the time! - seriously, this stuff smells pleasant and isn't strong at all)...and it works like nothing I have ever used. I put some on and we went fishing just before sundown and I was watching skeeters hover near my arm about to land, and then fly away! They love me, they often bite me through my clothes...but not when I am wearing this stuff.

It's the first one listed here (the only place I could find it online): http://csafarmersmarket.locallygrown.ne ... ndex/56960

I was going to try the cedarcide stuff, but then we found Bug Bar.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:46 pm

I just read about this natural remedy - cut a lime in 1/2 and stick it full of whole cloves. I'll try it on the patio and see what happens.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:19 pm
Profile WWW

I'm going to Fest for the first time this year and I think I'm more worried about mosquitoes than anything else. Does anyone know of a good unscented (or at least non-floral) repellent? I'm mildly allergic to lavender, which seems to be in a lot of the natural alternatives, and I don't want to be wearing a DEET based product all week.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:09 pm

i have a ton of skin allergies and i find using eucalyptus dr. bronners and repel lemon eucalyptus (it was also top rated by outdoor magazine). the repel has no chemicals in it. those fans work pretty well too.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:47 pm

We do fragrance free everything (from laundry detergent to all the hair and body products) and then we use All Terrain Herbal Armor Lotion- those two things in combination have worked really well. One year I had one thing with artificial/perfumey fragrance- my daughter's detangler spray- it was the one year she got bit up and it was only around her face near her hair. Going fragrance free makes a BIG difference.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:25 am

I always bring those 'mosquito coils' with me. I burn one or two each evening and it really keeps the area bug free.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:03 am
Profile WWW

Last time I used an herbal “bracelets” I wore one on my ankle and not a single bite and it lasted all week!

Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:59 am
Profile WWW

I just found this link to 9 natural ways to combat mosquitoes http://homes.yahoo.com/news/10-ways-to- ... l?page=all

Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:31 pm
Profile WWW

here's an interesting article re: why some people are mosquito magnets. . .

from: http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhe ... to-magnets

If you feel as if every mosquito in a 50-mile radius has you locked in its sights, while your friends are rarely bitten, you could be right. Up to 20 percent of us are highly alluring to mosquitoes—and scientists have discovered some surprising reasons.

“Both your metabolism and your unique body chemistry—which is as distinctive as a fingerprint—play an important role in determining whether or not you’re a mosquito magnet,” says University of Florida entomology professor Dr. Phil Koehler. “Also, there’s evidence that your degree of attractiveness to mosquitoes can change over time.”

Here are some intriguing discoveries about why some of us are particularly tasty targets for the tiny vampires:
Mosquitos prefer blood type O
In their quest for a meal, mosquitoes are nearly twice as likely to land on people with type 0 blood than those with type A, according to a Japanese study. Indeed, the biting pests consider type 0 more delectable than any other blood type, the researchers reported. Most people secrete substances that allow mosquitoes to identify blood type before they bite.

Beer drinkers beware
Swigging just one bottle of beer can significantly boost your risk of being bitten, according to a study published in Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association. The researchers reported that, “Mosquito landing on volunteers significantly increased after beer ingestion compared with before ingestion.”

Watch out for the full moon
The tiny bloodsuckers are 500 times more active when the moon is full, reports the American Mosquito Control Association (AMCA). Overall, the highest risk times for mosquito bites are dusk and dawn, with the females of some species migrating up to 40 miles in pursuit of a meal. (Male mosquitoes don’t bite.)

Keep your socks on
The pungent aroma of dirty feet is apparently irresistible to mosquitoes, as a brave scientist, Bart Knols, discovered when he sat in a lab in his underwear to find out which parts of the body the pests are most likely to target. He found that 75 percent of the bugs homed in on his feet, but after he washed them with deodorant soap, the mosquitos bit randomly. His team also reported that stinky cheeses, such as Limburger—which has the same odoriferous compound responsible for foot odor—also draws mosquitoes.

Mosquitos know if you’re expecting
Moms-to-be get bitten about twice as often as women who aren’t pregnant, increasing their risk for bug-borne diseases, according to a study conducted in Gambia. The researchers hypothesized that since women in the later stages of pregnancy exhale 21 percent more volume, mosquitos were drawn in by the moisture and carbon dioxide in their breath. They also found that pregnant women's abdomens are nearly 1 degree warmer, which may cause more volatile substances—released in sweat and attractive to mosquitos—to be present on their skin. Not only do several other studies have similar findings, says Dr. Koehler, but “there’s also evidence that women are more attractive to mosquitoes during certain phases of the ovulation cycle.” Studies have mixed results as to whether men or women are more likely to get bitten, he adds.

Running won’t help you
Both the carbon dioxide we exhale and substances in sweat, such as lactic acid, help mosquitoes home in on their prey. As a result, Dr. Koehler reports. “You’re more likely to be bitten if you’re running or exercising than when you’re at rest, since you’re breathing harder and sweating more.” In fact, physical activity ups risk for bites by as much as 50 percent, according to AMCA.

Like vampires, they prefer dark clothes
Dark-colored clothing can increase your risk of falling victim to the little bloodsuckers, compared to lighter-colored garments, says Dr. Koehler. In one study comparing the appeal of various hues to mosquitoes, the researchers reported the following results: black (most attractive); red (very attractive); grey and blue (neutral); khaki, green, light khaki, and yellow (less attractive).

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:42 am

I am one of those magnet types. I have O blood and I have watched them choose me out of very one else in the room. My GF is convinced they are jealous micro-fairies.

From the list unitynme posted:

Try Out Catnip Oil
Believe it or not, the essential oil in catnip, nepetalactone, repels mosquitos more effectively than DEET. Though you may have to dodge your neighbor's cat as a result, catnip oil-based insect repellant does a good job of protecting exposed skin

This is my annual plug for this type of repellent. I have found this effective, though more frequent reapplication is necessary, at LEAST every two hours, but its non toxic, non greasy, and odorless to humans. Catnip Oil Spray can be purchased at most pet supply stores. I prefer Kosmic Katnip brand.

Luckily, we will be in a moon dark phase at the beginning of fest.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next