View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
I just bought a Kindle! 

I read voraciously, and on those really rainy days at fest you will find me curled up in my tent, all cozy and warm, with a juicy book. I hate those headlamps, and I'm always balancing a flashlight on my pillow trying to read at night. My librarian, of all people, keeps bugging me to buy a Kindle so I won't lug all those books with me to read on the plane and during my afternoon naps. (If you're like me, you HATE running out of book.)

Long story short, I bought one 'a them new-fangled Kindle thangs with a light inside the page so's you can read in the dark! I'm pretty excited about it.

Anyone else use one at fest?

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Wondering how long it holds a charge....

My Nook Tablet happened to be all charged up when we lost power last summer....and I delighted in being able to read the better part of evening into night with no flashlight or headlamp....

but after maybe 6 hours ... the charge on the nook was disappearing ... I'm not sure of exact time...

it's not something I'd bring to fest...simply because of the damp/humidity and the lack of charging sources ...unless of course you live in an RV with a generator... but each to their own...just something to think about and plan for...

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:54 am

It's the new Paperwhite, which supposedly holds a charge for 40 hours. I am a total reading addict, so maybe they'll let me charge it at Sober Support, ha ha. Other addicts switch to coffee or cigarettes, I'm addicted to reading!

Thanks for the reminder about the damp; I will make a little insulated case for it.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:51 am

The Nook Glowlight (e-ink display w/ sidelight) would hold its charge for most if not all of fest.
The tablet is more like a cell phone in terms of battery life, so it wouldn't do as well unfortunately.

Drum Mama Sue wrote:
Wondering how long it holds a charge....

My Nook Tablet happened to be all charged up when we lost power last summer....and I delighted in being able to read the better part of evening into night with no flashlight or headlamp....

but after maybe 6 hours ... the charge on the nook was disappearing ... I'm not sure of exact time...

it's not something I'd bring to fest...simply because of the damp/humidity and the lack of charging sources ...unless of course you live in an RV with a generator... but each to their own...just something to think about and plan for...

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:30 pm

I didn't bring my kindle, but I saw a gorgeous womon reading one at fest last year and was able to go up to her and tell her that *my* novel was available on the Kindle and have a whole conversation with her about it. I don't know if she ever bought my book, but it doesn't matter, because she was beautiful. :)

Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:06 pm
Profile WWW

Hee hee!

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:50 am

I have a kindle and I also have a wind up radio/flashlight....and in the back is a usb that you can use to charge a cell phone or kindle....got it for a present but am thinking she might have gotten it at radio shack

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:14 pm

Turn off the wireless. It sucks power, or at least it does on mine. Should you run out of power, old-school books are available for purchas in Crafts. :-)

Also, bring along a ziplock bag for when it rains.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]