Countdown to Festival:
Days  
Hours  
Minutes  
Seconds
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
sleeping bags 

I'm trying to cut down on the size of things - My current sleeping bag is big and bulky - Anyone ever try a light-weight flannel bag or anything similiar.? Something not very expensive, too.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:59 am
Profile WWW

The disadvantage of a sleeping bag is that it's pretty much all or nothing. If it's toasty enough for real cold nights, it will be a sauna on warm ones. I suggest getting a couple of those fleece zip up "bags" that also open out flat. One under, one over, and you'll have room to move (they zip together too.) They are sold for about $10. A smallish WOOL blanket will make a difference if it's cold, over the top. Or two. A sarong over the top makes a soft "bedspread" and looks pretty, adds another layer, and can be worn as a garment too (good shower wrap).

You can also add warmth with long johns (Smartwool are the gold standard), a wool cap, a wool sweater (thrift shop cashmere is my favorite). These too can also keep you warm when you're not in bed. Though you want to change into fresh stuff when you go to bed, so it's not dampish.

Down bags are hot, and worthless if they get wet. Flannel /cotton bedding is bulky and gets damp. Fleece and wool. And lots of layers, to accomodate all the temperatures.

Sweet dreams.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:33 am

great - Thanks - it's a go with your idea

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:30 am
Profile WWW

I love my fleece sleeping bag liner (it was about $15, made by Coleman), but I never thought about getting another one and using them under/over and being able to zip them like a bag.

OMG colleen, you have rocked my world.

Not sure I want to give up my sleeping bag for colder nights, but I often need more room in that fleece bag when I try and zip it up because I am chubby. Never occurred to me that I could get another bag and zip them together (I'm such an urban creature...sigh.)

I was thinking of a new sleeping bag, but now I think I am going to invest in a good compression stuff sack to pack that old bag easier and tighter and another fleece bag instead.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:40 pm

I swear by wool blankets. Last year I brought 3, but I was chilly one night, so this year I'm bringing 4. I like to sleep naked, though, so if you wear clothes to bed, you might not need as many. I put a small ridgerest mat on the bottom for a little padding and insulation, then put the blankets on top of that. On a hot night, I sleep on top of the blankets. If it's cold, I can get under all 4. Most nights I have some above and some below, and it's very easy to make adjustments. My tent stays nice and dry, but wool will keep you warm even if it gets wet. All my blankets came from thrift stores, and cost no more than $10 each. Machine wash cold, line dry. Put them in the dryer if you don't mind some shrinkage. Cotton sheets are cold and clammy when damp, so I don't use a sheet.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]