View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
pumping milk? 

Good morning, womyn!

This is by no means my first festival, but it IS my first festival as a nursing mom with pumping needs. Does anyone have any advice about this? If I can't pump, I can't come, and I'm really hoping to introduce my daughter to the festival this year -- especially as this is one of the last years her brother is able to come. My pump is electric, so that's posing a bit of a logistic problem in my mind. What do people do? Battery packs? Manual pumps?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:42 am

I would suggest calling the office & ask them.

suji

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:15 am

Most of the nursing mom's that I know bring their babes and nurse as needed without pumping on land. I know there are moms that have babes that have latching issues (and perhaps other issues) so yes, indeed...call the office and see what options you have to meet your needs.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:45 am

Neonatal nurse here.
There is electricity at Sprouts, and you could probably pump there. If your pump had a battery, you could charge it, and pump at your site.
I had great luck with the Avent hand pump years ago. If you had two you could tandem pump. They were not too horrible on the wrist. Some Medela pumps come with a had option, I have found those to be cumbersome.
Are you needing to pump with every feeding?? How old is your baby? I am more than happy to help problem solve pumping/breast feeding issues.
I camp up on top of sprouts hill, or leave a message for Elin's mom at Gaia.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:48 pm
Profile YIM

Kirsten- berrypatch (Lisa and kid Hannah) here. I've camped at the top of the hill 3 years (not last year). I remember someone up there saying 2 years ago that I could use their stroller during the week so I wouldn't need to lug mine. Was that you and if so does that offer still stand?

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:49 pm

I attempted to pump the first year I came with a baby. She was 6 months and I brought the pump just in case I wanted to leave her at sprouts for a bit. I had a battery operated pump, so power wasn't an issue. The main issue I had was storing the milk. I was trying to save up to do a kitchen workshift at the end of the week, but I didn't pump much at one time and then it didn't keep long enough in the cooler to add up to enough for her to be away from me for 4 hours.

After that I did lots of brainstorming about milk storage, but didn't end up needing it because since then, I've always just kept my nursers with me, or popped into sprouts to nurse while they were there.

Are you planning to use up the milk as you pump it or will you need it to keep? Ice in a cooler just doesn't keep it cold enough for it to last long. My conclusion was that if I ever tried to store it there again, I would get a really good cooler- like the 5 day type and some dry ice.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:17 am

Berrypatch, Yep, it was us! we will be bringing the stroller/carts again this year for schlepping. I will check them out tomorrow, and see what condition they are in, and get back to you about how they would work for kid hauling.

Kirsten

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:04 pm
Profile YIM

Thanks everyone!

To answer some questions:

My daughter is four months old and I exclusively breastfeed. So, generally speaking, we're fine without a pump. However, my maternity leave just so happens to be ending the week after the festival, and I'd started a routine of one pump-and-store session a day to build up my supply. I don't necessarily need the milk from that pumping, I just need to keep the routine (and thus the increased supply). In a perfect world, I would be able to take this extra milk home and store it, but in reality I'll just give it to my toddler son. So, storage isn't an issue, and I only need to pump once every morning.

I think I'm going to bring a manual pump; what a great idea (among many helpful and great ideas)!

Thanks for the wonderful advice, and we hope to see you all; we'll be at Sprouts!

-Lisa, and Sarvani (Kavi and Anya's moms)

Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]