View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
So how WAS it??!! 

Fest was great! The weather really WAS brilliant, though I think the lack of rain did make for a dusty year. That seems to have generated a certain amount of post-fest crud for many of us (myself included).

Lots of excellent performances! The Over 50s glow-stick walks were A-MAZ-ING!
Food and kitchen experiences were all grand.

Regarding cell phones on the land, mine gave me a full three bars at my site in Over 50s, complete with 3G data service (AT&T is my carrier). I have to say this: given that my partner's parents are elderly, which requires that we check in regularly, and that we have pups to check in on, it was pretty great to be able to call and text from home, rather than hike out to the phones. That said, all we did was power up, make our contacts and power back down. My phone lived in the tent and not "out in the world".

A nod out there for improving "concert etiquette". The volume of chatter through some of the quieter acts -- and we generally sit very near the front/catwalk -- was really disruptive. We sat right in front of a long time festie/performer who talked in full voice throughout Crystal Bowersox' performance. I found it so discourteous that someone would sit in the audience and talk through any performer's set.

That said, such was really my only bummer. All was well.
Looking forward to #40!

Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:53 pm

My re-entry was really hard this year, I've been just zonked out- that's why I haven't been on the boards yet. IMHO facebook is a poor substitute for this forum except for the images one can post and view over there. I'm still pretty out of it but will at least contribute one little tidbit for now:
there were a LOT of therapy dogs on the land this year. All kinds: I saw a basset hound, a dachsund, and a variety of cute smaller dogs. One day as I was riding the tractor, one of those cute little therapy dogs was on it, and then this 8 or 9 year old girl asked her Mommy " Why are there no therapy cats??" We were trying so hard to smother our laughter, I am not totally sure of the mother's answer, but I think it had something to do with the cats being more interested in us meeting their needs than the other way around.
Although I have to admit I do know of friendly and affectionate cats being brought into nursing homes etc, that would qualify as "therapy cats" it was still hilarious.
bye for now, Aradia

Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:42 pm

I was recently 'awarded' a letter from my psychologist for a therapy cat Walking a dog would be out of the question with a broken hip so we went with a cat. Let's hope the apartment building goes for it.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:16 pm
Profile WWW

In the state of Oregon we have one registered service miniature horse.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:32 pm

Have they published dates for the 2015 Festival? Usually it's in the back of the program book.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:35 pm

August 3-9, 2014 - it's always the first full week of August

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:15 pm
Profile WWW

If I recall the exact number quoted post-fest at the meeting, they said 2,340 in attendance, down 8% from last year. We sold the same number of raffle tickets as last year, because we bought the same number as last year, and we sold out both times. But this year they sold out on Fri, instead of Sat, like last year.

Everyone I've talked to has mentioned that the food was better seasoned, better in general.

Load in the first day was the fastest ever. New system tried, designed by one of the CCE's (Lu?). They've been loading out using this system (with the pictures strung overhead, load this kind of gear here, that kind there, remember?) Anyway, that is how they did load in and judging by numbers it was quite successful.

My Verizon phone lost signal on the dirt road. But someone in a tent next to me (musta been an AT&T customer) was engaging in an animated phone call--or maybe just talking to herself.?! In Over 50's at the top of the Easy street hill. The Fest also made $2000.00 by having a device charging station at the Community Center. If you can't beat 'em, join (and charge) them! cha-CHING!

Yes, the FB is all a-flurry with the trans issue. Not so on the Land this year. Very little visible evidence of the controversy. The opening ceremonies had a verse with Big Up the Female power power, but very little else from the stage. Some of the usual MtF were sighted, but I never met anyone who had any interactions on the Land w/ anyone.

I had great neighbors in Over 50's. Hi Mary!, if you read the boards anymore. Met Deb and T and their friends. Smokie and Jayne were their usual laid back selves/good neighbors. And Bunny and Jelly and Froot!!

On the LoveNotes Board at the Belly Bowl there was a note to LV from Flowing. Very sweet. The gist was that Flowing used to say, "I support the intention, I support LV, if the intention gets changed, then I won't come." But she said that she realizes that as much as she was trying to be supportive, maybe the best way to be supportive is to say, "I support LV no matter what. I will keep coming to Fest as long as there is a Fest"

I went to 2 workshops, "G-spot and Squirting", and "Intro to the Zone". Both well-attended, professionally presented. The woman from the toy shop "Sugar" was very professional, very informative. Wish she'd had visual aids, hard to see the pictures she was drawing in the air with her hands to describe female anatomy. Trixie, nice job with the Zone work shop. My friend ended up going and having a blast--more than one night.

Oh! and I went to Jamie's jam workshop. Much fun. There's a video on FB, (or on her page?) maybe the sound recording was poor, or maybe we really were that bad, but I sure did have a blast! (she's sitting on my lap in the group photo!)

Pulling into Pentwater post-Fest, I got a number of disturbing voice mails from home--family health issues. And the first world news I hear is Robin William's death, and the police murdering another unarmed black man, so it was like diving head-first into cold water. But Fest was sweet and warm and Home. As I put away Fest gear, I'm making plans for next.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:03 pm

wow - EL - nice response all around.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:07 am
Profile WWW

i agree with most everything that's been said here so far.

for me, this fest was probably the mellowest of my 20 years of fest... which was much needed. weather was pretty great though the dust sure did get problematic by the end of my time there (lots of workers especially were sick) and the rain on the last monday-tuesday made strike and load out harder, particularly for short crew. (and though it wasn't an actual stormy kind of rain, it was a very long constant and hard rain overnight monday night into tuesday, causing the night stage tent to rip down one of the middle seams and the media tent to entirely collapse in one corner where three wooden tent poles snapped under the weight of pooling water.) at least the rain waited til the end. ;-)

the music was really great this year. even though i wasn't all that psyched about it going into fest, i was surprised to really love a lot of it that i was unfamiliar with. lisa and team continue to be amazing curators of the festival's sound. i am now spending a lot of time going to each artist's webpage and listening to their stuff and buying things that i didn't already buy at goldenrod. i use spotify a lot but many of our festival performers are not available there (or if they are, only very old stuff is) so i'm slowly buying albums and tracks so i can make some mixes to remind me of how awesome all the performances were this year. medusa was a highlight - as she is every time she performs - and the super set on daystage was fabulous. elvira continues to make me laugh until i almost pee. and staceyann chin continues to blow my mind and crack my heart wide open.

the cellphone thing has its pros and cons, for me. i was personally elated to find that my tmobile cellphone got 3-4 bars consistently (piggy-backing on AT&T) in the bellybowl/downtown area as well as up on the hill on easy street where i was camped (near the vortex). my gf was not able to come to fest this year and there was a lot going on at home for me personally so it was nice to be able to connect with her each evening after work/dinner by either calling or texting - but i made a point of only doing that in my tent, and for a short amount of time. i think the cellphone issue can be navigated successfully with some gentle reminders/guidelines to the community about common courtesy. however, that being said, i'm pretty sure the rumor about there being a wifi hotspot (to add to the charging station) in the community center next year is true. it makes sense and is yet another way to raise $ for fest.

not sure what else to say that hasn't already been said... but it was a sweet and lovely mellow fest. next year will likely be very different from that, with hopeful numbers in the 4000-5000 range for the 40th. that will feel downright crowded now that many of us have gotten used to the lower numbers. but it will also be exciting to see that many women on the land at one time again, like the old days. start talking it up now in your communities, gals. talk to your friends who used to go but who haven't for a while. send them an email with next year's dates so it can be in their heads. point them to this forum or to the many fb pages for festival and its various sub-communities. if the 40th is going to be the last as-we-know-it fest, let's blow it out!

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:12 pm
Profile WWW

EL - I'm so glad you came to the Zone workshop! And that your friend made it to the Zone! Our parties next year are going to be even more epic!

Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:58 pm
Profile WWW

There was a COW this year. (Cell tower on wheels). It was set up in the woods behind the water spigot near Accoustic stage.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:49 am

!!! I wondered what that was! I thought it was something to boost worker walkie talkies or the shuttle radios or something.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:10 pm
Profile WWW

great ! fantastic groovy ! keen...far out , and wonderful ! saw so so many old friends, made a lot of new friends..saw so many fest newbies who were so happy to b there and plan on returning with friends in 2015 ! Bims faeire land was great, new theme every nite....food was fantastic...music great...loved it all !! CANNOT WIAT TILL AUG. 2015 ! SEE U THERE !!

Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2