View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
What's your favorite work shift & why? 

My GF has finally decided to come with me this year! I always do stage security, but she might want to try something else. So, what work shifts do you like & why?

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:41 am
Profile WWW

The Womb is my favorite. I love working with the herbal teas and learning about herbs. It's a relaxing shift, but one where I still feel like I'm being helpful.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:14 pm

I really enjoy the end of the day clean-up shift at the Main Kitchen, officially from 5pm to 8:30, but we almost always end before 8. I've worked some other shifts in Main Kitchen, but that is my favorite, and I normally do 2 or more of those shifts during the week. Most of us focus on washing the pots/pans/serving stuff, using the nifty kiddie-wading-pool washing system. Sometimes some of us help with inventorying stuff in the reefers, or help Ruth with cleaning the huge cooking pots. I always meet interesting womyn, it is very satisfying to get a bunch of work done, and fun to splash around in the water and/or scrape stuff. And, the Main Kitchen always needs workers. . .and it is great for festie virgins to get to see some of the behind the scenes work that it takes to feed thousands of womyn.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:41 pm

I so wanted to work kitchen on Sunday last year, but my camping partner was cold, as I was, so we left the land early Sunday. Maybe this year.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:29 pm
Profile WWW

I love working in Crafts! I always feel right in the middle of everything that's going on around the Land, and the craftswomyn are so grateful to get their water and fruit. I love pulling the bicycle cart, I love sweeping the carpet paths, I love getting water and even throwing the trash away.

It's really fun- I get to see all the different stalls, even one I might be too shy to go into otherwise ;p

I love EVERYTHING about Crafts, and I think many other womyn must feel the same, because I have always been very high up in the line but usually get the last 2 two-hour shifts that you sign up for to make a 4-hour shift.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:29 pm

I love the idea of 2 hour shifts - I would gladly do four 2 hour shifts, rather than 2 four hour shifts.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:05 am
Profile WWW

I did a couple hours in the kitchen on Sunday last year. It turns out that by Sunday, they'll take whatever time womyn have to give. I found myself at a bit of a loss for what to do at one point, and so I went and cut onions for a couple hours. I had a chance to meet a couple of womyn I wouldn't have otherwise gotten to know, and felt like I was giving back to the community that had given so much to me over the course of that week.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:37 am

glad to hear that you can spontaneously show up at kitchen on Sunday. Sounds like a plan. I always find I have some extra time on that day.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:02 pm
Profile WWW

Does anybody know what time frames the sano shifts are? The shift that you go around cleaning janes/adding toilet paper. Not the late shift with the suckers but day shifts?

Four two hour shifts sounds more doable than the current model of two 4 hour shifts. Also more opportunities to check things out both on and off shifts.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW

love working the kitchen, variety of shifts is sweet.

my favorite is working the road as CCE on Monday to welcome everyone home. love love love seeing all those smiling faces, kisses, hugs, squeals, and more hugs.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW

RV on Tuesday morning and then another one depending on the schedules for performances and workshops.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:48 pm

I did Tuesday morning garbage shift for many years when I was younger, and loved it...bring a pair of boots to wear, and leave time for a shower after! You get a tour of almost every part of the land riding the Isis truck. Nowadays, I like Acoustic stage security, and One World. And, like Hammi, I usually pick up a few hours in the Main Kitchen on Sunday.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]