View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Fire pits 

what is protocol for use of fire pits? can one cook with them?
ex. corn, hot dogs, etc

Mon May 19, 2014 12:21 pm

If you do use the large fire pit at triangle, I suggest you bring a VERY long handled cooking utensil. There used to be a smaller fire pit up behind the 'over 40's' tent. haven't checked it out in a few years.

Mon May 19, 2014 2:08 pm
Profile WWW

I don't recall ever seeing anyone cook food at the fire pits, but I also don't recall anything forbidding it. At least at Triangle, if you go in the evening, it is more "bonfire" than "campfire", and as such, probably not the greatest for cooking. After nightstage, you'd also likely have 20-50 dancing and drumming womyn watching you cook.

If you brought enough food, you could probably make yourself many, many friends.

Mon May 19, 2014 7:10 pm

ha! the idea of cooking at a huge bonfire sounds comical and probably not what we're looking to do. thanks for the reply.

i'm looking at a map from when i attended a few years ago (it could be out of date, and i'm having a hard time remembering), besides the firepits that seem to gather the larger crowds that you mentioned, there seem to be fire pits scattered all over the land in the camping areas. same deal with those?

Tue May 20, 2014 12:37 pm

one year they gave a terrific workshop at the DART fire pit about cooking outdoors. You may want to check that one out.

Tue May 20, 2014 12:57 pm
Profile WWW

I have cooked baked potatoes wrapped in foil in years passed by tucking them into a coal bank and coming back in an hour. I have also had some moderate success with those jiffy pop foil containers, but those burn fast, so attention must be paid! S'mores get made a lot. Triangle firepit at night is often crowded, especially if it has been damp or wet, but over 50's fire pit and oasis firepits are more manageable. Smoking is OK at the Oasis firepit, so if you are sensitive to cigarette smoke, fyi. I don't get out to Midway much. Hope that helps!

Tue May 20, 2014 3:59 pm

We cook all the time at the Zone firepit...hotdogs and smores mainly but we've done potatoes, pudgie pies, all sorts of goodies!

Thu May 22, 2014 6:32 pm
Profile WWW

There's an over 50s fire pit? How did I not know this? I guess I'm still learning the lay if the land, only having been 28 years ;)

Sat May 24, 2014 10:26 pm

TrixieBelden wrote:
We cook all the time at the Zone firepit...hotdogs and smores mainly but we've done potatoes, pudgie pies, all sorts of goodies!

Trixie what are pudgie pies?

Sun May 25, 2014 1:17 am

oh dear - I feel a whole new thread starting - "Fire Pit Foods"

Sun May 25, 2014 8:58 am
Profile WWW

OK, my favorite EASY fire pit food is a dessert - bananas foster - take a banana, peel just a 1/4 inch of the peel off. Slice into the banana and fill with butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, then drizzle with a little rum - seal in aluminum foil, place in the coals and let it get hot and fairly mushy. Eat with a spoon.

Sun May 25, 2014 1:17 pm
Profile WWW

Dawniefaye, yes it's most easily accessed from the first no named path past Easy Street, if your heading towards Triangle, right on the boundary between over 50's and extended family camping.

I, too, love that fest is such a magical place there is always something new to discover and enjoy.

Sun May 25, 2014 1:18 pm

Dova_mamabear wrote:
Trixie what are pudgie pies?

There are many names for them but I like the name pudgy pies...they look almost like waffle irons on a long metal stick...you can put bread and filings inside (like a grilled cheese, or with pizza sauce and pizza toppings, etc), and then you hold them over the fire to cook. So fun! So delicious!

Sun May 25, 2014 7:16 pm
Profile WWW

Trixie, thanks for the info. I've never tried one of those (whatever the name is for the utensil).

Sun May 25, 2014 9:09 pm

They are called "Pie Irons" and traditionally are round but lately I've seen some square ones in sporting goods storews camping sections.

Most of them have handles that are too short for the overgrown fite pits of many womyn at fest...like triangle or Dart fire pit.

I've seen a lot of foil cooking....chicken etc.... and I've had a hankering since having to move to Dart to do a turkey on a spit one day .... but didn't want to deal with lugging in a turkey..... all sorts of posibilities....but usually don't want to spend fest moments cooking......

Sun May 25, 2014 10:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next