View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Gaia Girls wanderers 

I'm cross posting from the facebook page.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to allow my 7 1/2 year old be a wanderer this year. She has been begging me since last year. On the one hand- it will be her 7th festival, she knows her way around, she can tell time, and she's very responsible. On the other hand, she's still pretty young.

Can any other Gaia moms or Gaia workers (if there are any still on here) give me some feedback about your experiences and how you've made the decision?

thanks!

Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:47 am

hw: I let my daughter be a wanderer at age 10. You might let your daughter be wanderer during daytime hours with meetups at times you agree on. One thing I've notice in the past 14 years I've been coming is that if a child yells mom, hundreds of womyn turn to see what is needed even if they haven't had kids in years. Only you can make the final decision but my guess is your daughter would have a few other girls to run around with and would be safe.

Dova

Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:56 pm

Another perspective: I have no children, and don't even enjoy them much, but I can tell you that if a little girl on the land needed anything at all, I would do whatever it took to be sure she was taken care of.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:02 pm

Hi hw!

I grew up going to the festival like your daughter and was a wander at 7. I think for me, the first few years I was a wanderer I had rules about where I could go. (To the tent, lunch, and the Over 50's/Quilt tent) Those were the only places I needed or wanted to go. After maybe two years, I was more free to go elsewhere at fest. In contrast, my sister was much more shy and nervous as a child. So she would only wander in the day and with another girl.

Keep in mind that wandering is not a full access pass to all of the festival. It's a conversation that you have with your daughter and the Gaia workers about what makes sense for your daughter at her age, maturity level, and comfort with the festival. Wandering is and needs to be a constantly evolving process. You also can change where she is allowed to go throughout the week. The Gaia workers should be able to help talk with you about what makes sense for your child.

Start by asking her where she wants to go as a wanderer. Then maybe start with allowing her to go to a few of those places.

Have a great fest!

Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:10 pm

My daughter has been attending fest since she was born. She has been a wanderer-with-friends since age 6, and last year (7) she wandered freely last year, although she mostly chose to do it with others. She is comfortable asking others for help. I have zero problem with this.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]