View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Tuesday Evening Ritual Honoring the Land and Ourselves 

I couldn't figure out how to edit the title of the other topic, so here's a new topic with this post by Artemis:

For those who haven't participated in this ritual before, this is structured with a wiccan/pagan/earth-based spiritual focus and open to all womyn and girls who honor themselves and the female divine aspect of the earth and the universe. We call the directions, we call the Goddess. Girls under 10 are welcome with an adult companion.

The ritual itself takes place in the night stage bowl (that is the night stage seating area), near the Diana Statue, at APPROXIMATELY 8pm, or when night stage rehearsal ends. Look for the large group of wimmin gathered there. You can't miss us! Please, NO late comers after we get started and NO photography, this is a sacred ritual.

The general theme is always the same, honoring the land and ourselves. This thread is both a general announcement and invitation and also a place to begin to plan, specifically, how the ritual will be structured; what chants do we want to sing, what will we focus on when we raise our power, who will take which roles, who will bring which ritual tools, etc. Since some of the womyn who join us in facilitating this ritual are not online, we don't finalize details until the planning meeting on tuesday when we meet for dinner at main kitchen seating area, 5pm, when we go over the set up, chants, order of things.

We welcome your questions and input!

Mon May 05, 2014 8:42 pm

I don't think you can change titles. Count me in for Tuesday night & probably my gf too.

Mon May 05, 2014 10:19 pm
Profile WWW

Great unitynme! Thanks for popping up in this thread. We are getting a later start than normal getting this thread up and running.. So many distractions and for a moment there, I thought we lost her! (the BB, that is)

For my part, among other things, I am a member of the Association for the Study of Women and Mythology, which is a group of academic and independent scholars, artists, archaeologists, historians, archivists and spiritual leaders, as well as other professions like teachers. We have periodic conferences and the last one was held at the end of March in San Antonio. The theme was Borderlands: Scholarship as Pilgrimage and Mystery. Because we were in San Antonio, and as is the case where ever we meet, we try and weave in local stories, myths and legends. We had a heavy concentration on the topics of the persistence of corn mothers and the spirit of corn, as well as coyotes, the Black Madonna, shamanism and indigenous grandmothers, Santa Muerte and many many other topics. Come to find out, the mythologies and spirit of the corn mother spans many, many cultures, and called by many names, including Cocomama. Where have I heard THAT name before? Oh yeah. :)

True to the matriarchal way, we started the conference with ritual and indigenous prayers and an ENORMOUS basket of blue corn was passed around and made available as offerings and blessings of the corn mother. Somehow, at the end of the conference, it came to pass that I was charged with the remaining blue corn, which still had a couple hundred kernels left in the vessel. I had received the "medicine" and I was now tasked with continuing its disbursement. I am hugely grateful to the universe for granting me this gift and continuing my healing path.

so...this is where you all come in. I have planted a few kernels in my backyard, in hopes of having some stalks spring up in Brooklyn and I am bringing the rest to Fest. This is my initial offering of blessings to the participants of this ritual, which include Mother Earth and the spirit of the Land. We have used the red blessing threads in the past, everyone seemed to resonant with those, and last year we gave out beads and silver stars.

I will be back in this thread soon with a telling of a myth that might illustrate why the ritual use of the blue corn is hugely symbolic in blessing ourselves as womyn and blessing the land. Please join me here and share your thoughts and ideas. I am so looking forward to celebrating with all of you and rejoicing at our return home.

Tue May 13, 2014 4:25 pm

Hello there!

Even though I've attended Festival for years, I've never made it over for the ritual. Maybe it's because I've always been at Acoustic enjoying spoken word. Does the ritual begin after Acoustic is finished, or is it happening whenever they are finished with checks and such at night stage?

Wed May 21, 2014 5:13 pm

The ritual starts whenever they're done with sound check/rehearsal/whatever they're doing on night stage. It generally is sometime after 8. How late does acoustic stage go on Tuesday? Hope you can enjoy Acoustic Stage AND make it to the ritual this year!

Wed May 21, 2014 7:08 pm

The performances at Acoustic Stage on Tuesday are finished by 8pm and will only impact your schedule and/or ability to attend/participate in the planning meeting which happens during dinner. Also, it is worth mentioning that these particular Acoustic Stage performances are repeated the next day, which I never have understood why but that is a separate matter. The open mike at August Night Cafe happens at the same time as the ritual, so that is a schedule conflict if you want to participate in both.

Thu May 22, 2014 11:08 am

Great. Thanks for the info. Indeed I will miss the planning, but will hustle myself over right after acoustic wraps up and hope to make it in time.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:02 am

Hello Ritual womyn! I am FINALLY getting back to this thread.. my apologies for neglecting it as I have been out of town a lot and only now really focusing on this ritual.

I have been in touch with ROAR, who reached out to me. She is not able to get on the BB for some reason so her is her first post to me to pass along.

Hi Artemis!
Hope all is well with you!
I'm working on the quilt. this year's theme is the Four Elements and the blocks that the Quilters are sending me are fantastic if I do say so myself.
I was having trouble posting on the BB so I thought I'd make it easier and shoot you an email.
I saw your post on the BB and love the idea about using the blue corn as a symbol of blessing! Like you, I have ties to corn. I owned a small farm and we grew corn for our own animals for a few years. The whole process, on larger than a home garden scale, was really cool. I became much more aware of plant growth, moisture content, harvest conditions, nitrogen content, "knee high by the 4th of July," etc and came up with great ideas to solve world problems while driving a tractor! Lol!! Our animals thrived and were very healthy.
I look forward the hearing your corn story/ myth, too.
I'll put on my thinking cap and let you know if any ideas to add to ritual arise.

Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Here is another post from ROAR

Hi Artemis!
Hope you are well and as excited to get to the Land as I am.
I haven't been able to access the forum at times. Techno glitch, I guess. I read your post and love idea of working with the Corn Mothers. You mentioned a myth. Would love to hear it.
Sharing corn is a great idea. I also really like the different names of the Corn Mother. Maybe we could research names of the Corn Mother, write them down and each womon could draw one name, to embrace or work with for the week or for the next year? We can call the names of the Corn Mother and invite her to our circle.
Just throwing out ideas.
Please feel free to cut and paste this to the BB.
I look forward to creating wonderful magic with you!
See you soon on the Land!
Love,
Roar

Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:01 pm

And FINALLY, the post about the mythology of the Corn Mother and how we can craft this into an intention for our ritual.

Seeding the regeneration and survival of our community.

Womyn are powerful. We know this. The myths and legends of corn and grain as food for the human people are brought to us nearly exclusively by the sacred female goddess archetypes and found all over the world. http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/frazer/gb04604.htm Many lessons of survival are found in these stories.

In my study of mythology, I was taught to route out a deeper meaning, subtle innuendos, about the mystery involved in heart of the story. While investigating the use of corn for the upcoming ritual, I discovered over and over again a pattern that the Corn Mother/Grandmother actually generates the corn physically from her own body. It one story, sons catch her rubbing her thighs from which the corn falls, another by slapping her sides. Here is a typical story, http://www.susunweed.com/herbal_ezine/O ... ewoman.htm

There are others on the web very similar and scholars who research these myths thoroughly. Again, the ritual bringing forth of the corn from the body of Corn Mother is key. Repeatedly, this information proves too much for men and it destroys the balance of the world and the only way to rebalance it is to scatter the remains of Her over the land with Her promise She will always feed the people if we tend Her.

What are the deeper lessons here? That we are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We must follow the wisdom of the corn mothers and bring forth the life sustaining energy to feed ourselves and the land. It is up to us to reinvigorate and regenerate: plant reap and sow. We, the womyn of this community, bring forth our sustainability from our bodies, with blood sweat and tears, and none too little slapping of the thighs, if you know what I mean...

For wiccans and pagans, Lammas (August 2nd ish) is the first of three harvest festivals. The moons of August are called many things. We celebrate the beginning of the Corn Moon. It’s also known as the Barley Moon, and carries on the associations of grain and rebirth. August Moon is sacred to Diana Queen of Heaven and a powerful time for womyns magic. It’ also called the Full Red Moon because as the Moon rises, its appears reddish through any sultry haze. Also been called the Green Corn Moon and the Grain Moon.

Blue Corn is used by Native Americans/ First Nations people as an offering to the spirits and used in many rituals. Sprinkled around the perimeters of the home, it can offer protection. It is also a beautiful ritual offering to Mother Earth, and for Wiccans an excellent harvest offering as we meditate on the strength, abundance, and fertility of corn, the corn spirits, and goddesses.

The Green Corn Ceremony is the most important social and spiritual event in the traditional seasonal round of the Choctaw and other Tribes that are Indigenous to what is now the Southeastern United States. Held at the ripening of the corn crop in late July, it was and is a time of community building, rekindling friendships, reconciliation, purification, restoring balance, making new beginnings, and giving praise and thanksgiving to Goddess.

Does this not sound EXACTLY what we do at fest? So let's bring the seeds of change. Let’s honor our strength, abundance and fertility as we offer the same blessings to the Land. I am bringing the sacratized blue corn I mentioned, plus I have some pine seeds I received as an offering at an Imbolc ritual at the Sekhmet temple north of Las Vegas, brought by the Shoshone tribeswomen to that sacred space. Bring other corn and other seeds that represent your intention to regenerate all that we hold dear within our community. We will spread these amongst ourselves as blessings.

This will be a powerful ritual. This thread has been very quiet, but we look forward to your feedback, questions etc. We also encourage womyn who want to take a priestessing role in this ritual to come share your gifts. We need chant suggestions- sacred songs to honor the Corn mother. We need drummers and chanters, guardians and priestesses to call directions and bless, smudge and consecrate the participants.

Remember- Planning meeting 5pm Tuesday at main kitchen- look for the witchiest group of womyn there.

The ritual itself starts sometime after 8pm at the back of nightstage seating as soon as the production crew is finished with rehearsal/soundchecks.

Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Thanks for the sacred space Lisa!!

https://www.facebook.com/OneBillionRisi ... 7125594056

Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:32 pm

Roar and I have been chatting by phone. She had some very interesting things to say about corn, I wish I could remember them all, but one thing that stuck out is how soft it is yet strong. Silk tassels, smooth ears, but can stand up to the howling wind.

I was moved by Drum Mama Sue's recent post about planting intentions, and Roar loves the focus and giving out the sacredized blue corn too. So we are getting close to our intentions for the ritual.

Anyone know any planting chants, or for seeds or corn?

The only one I can think of is the one a lot of people know The Hoof and Horn, Corn and Grain one: http://www.soulrebels.com/beth/hoofhorn.html

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:10 pm

seed by seed
row by row
let the earth's bounty grow

is one planting chant that would be easy to sing. . .

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:13 pm

cool! Thanks SKWD! Easy is great, it helps keep things moving.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:59 pm

yep, easy is good when trying to sing with that many womyn. . .

Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next