View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Tuesday Evening Ritual Honoring the Land and Ourselves 

As i was turning pages over this morning in my We'Moon date book, I see the image for the moonth ahead is the Corn Mother! How timely!

I posted one link above from Susun Weed. Here is another entry about Corn Mother from her http://www.herbshealing.com/herbal_ezin ... ngwise.htm

I also pulled this from one of Kahuna Leilani's past newsletters:

Selu is the Corn Mother of the Cherokee nation. She is the Great Mother of the people. It is said that as She rubbed Her breasts the milk became beans as it fell into the basket, and when She rubbed her womb space corn fell into the basket. And so it is thru Her that the people are fed. She taught her people the Sacredness of the food, how to grow and tend to the plants and the Earth. She also taught that in order to receive these fruits of Her body that ceremony must be held with singing, dancing, honoring of Her and prayers for a good harvest. She teaches that the plants must be tended to and nurtured in daylight as well as night, if they are to give sustenance. If these ceremonies did not take place the plants will not bear fruit. She teaches that as the Harvest is made that ceremonies of gratitude for the abundance of the Harvest be performed so that She will know that thankfulness of Her children and so remember them as they plant their next crops.

It is also the time for us to gather our Spiritual harvest for the coming darkness of winter to light our way until the return of the Sun. So it is fitting that Selu be called to assist us in this process, that we come to Her altar to give thanks for our bounty.

I particularly like "in order to receive these fruits of Her body that ceremony must be held with singing, dancing, honoring of Her and prayers for a good harvest."

Sounds exactly like what we do, and when we say "have a great Fest!" We are harvesting our year and setting the seeds of intention for next year's Fest.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:19 pm

I imagine this will be my last post on this topic this year, since there isn't a lot of activity.. but, I trust quite a few participants have looked it over since there are over 1000 views.

The corn is waist high in my backyard now and I have gotten my first tassels. I am meditating on Grandmother Corn/ Corn Mother and what it means to be self sustaining with respect to our beautiful community. I am looking forward to bringing this blessing to the land and our ritual as an offering of our intention to plant our seeds of sustainability and experiencing what others are bringing.

Gentle reminder that pagan ritual is a participatory activity. As a group we call the directions and raise energy together and dance the spiral dance. Those with limited mobility are welcome to join us in the center.

Last request for ritual items, too, as I am flying and my ability to bring these things is limited

Need a large tarp or two for the center plus altar cloths or large sari wraps or scarfs
Drummers welcome! Drummers drummers and more drummers!
symbols of the elements: Water, air, earth and fire
Symbols of sustenance as blessings to the land and ourselves: Corn and grain, seeds etc.
Personal items representing your intention of sustainability for the altar are OK and welcome. If you intend to leave any offerings, make sure they are biodegradable.

If you are coming to the planning meeting, we will see you there! Song/chant ideas are still welcome. Haven't heard the tune/temp of SKWD offering yet, but I am excited to. Chants are needed for the beginning as we welcome womyn in through the portal and into sacred space, one or two for the spiral dance and possibly another as we undertake the intention and bless ourselves and the land. Bring your ideas please! The Goddess didn't grant me with the gift of song in this lifetime, but I know she has gifted many of you beautifully!

Safe travels my sisters!

Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:11 pm

Artemis,
I probably won't be at the planning meeting, but will be at the ritual site by 7:15 or 7:30. I'll be a guardian again. Is there any chance you can come to singing circle in Area 15 sometime during the 9am to Noon singing circle to recruit singers for a portal/hear the song I mentioned/see if there are other possibilities? That would be great!
SKWD

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:20 pm

Yay! I'm on the BB finally!!
I'm loving the theme of the Corn Mother and the stories. I also think it is cool that we are returning to the "We are the ones that we've been waiting for". Each year, we revisit this concept, but in some, it seems more forward, more verbal and, especially in the recent days, most important.
I can't wait to celebrate and go forth with our important work of the Corn Mother: Standing tall, swaying a bit but never bending, soft yet resilient and providing life for all.
See you soon on the and.
Love.
Roar

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:56 pm

I love you all! I plan to be at the planning meeting. I will look for corn related items for the altar. Being me, my mind is riffing on Children of the Corn and corny jokes. Perhaps there is a place for the latter, if not the former.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:48 pm

Waves to witchseavey!! We are DEFINITELY the ones we have been waiting for... Yes, SKWD, I will wander over tuesday am.. ROAR heads out today. Safe travel ROAR!

Happy Lammas wimmin!

http://witchesandpagans.com/sagewoman-b ... sings.html

Earth ripples alive in her golden skin as wheat ripens under summer sun, pulses to fullness fattened by rain and wild airs. Bronze rods of barley brushed by the weather, shimmer in fields of light as Corn Mother moves amongst us. Her fertile body is swollen with grain, sheaf after sheaf—enough to bring bread to the whole planet, even to famine, if we work with the climate, tend our fields as holy places, share with those who lack as an act of Compassion. Her belly is big with promise, with miracles, wonders, but our shadows stretch long on the harvest acres as we eat up the land. At the heart of the Eleusinian mysteries lay a single grain of wheat—sun-energy so small, holding the future. Women everywhere engage with the sacred alchemy of making bread: grain, water, fire, to feed their families and those who are in need. Loaves and flatbreads, chapattis, sour rye unite us in simple ritual: May we break bread in peace with all nations, in the name of Goddess. Rose Flint © Mother Tongue Ink 2013

Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2