View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Postmarked... 

April 12- French Quarter, New Orleans

Smack in the middle of French Quarter Festival, second best fest next to Michigan (of course, for the obvious reasons, I could make a top 10 list of the superior qualities of Michfest, but that IS digressing) having arrived wednesday from a long work stint in Orlando. Great music everywhere, of course (Amanda Shaw, y'all. Cajun fiddle queen. No joke). Near my hotel is Peaches record shop. "Cream of the Crop" is their tagline. Intrigued, I wander in (Full disclosure though, the hotel I am staying in has a record player in my room, and a scratched up copy of The Emotions Flower Album.. Pressed into vinyl 1976. Three black chicks - Jeanette, Sheila, and Wanda doin' their thing in the 70's. Honestly, I never heard of them, but I was only 11 in 1976. Still, three black chicks doing their thing. They made an album, y'hear?).

Long story, short.. I'm in the discount bins, thinking of Gretchen Phillips and the reverse shoplifting mandate, and come across both Lena Horne and Phoebe Snow,, I waver..

and pick Phoebe Snow.. It Looks Like Snow-1976. If I do recall, that was a great year, creatively. Lots of funk and she delivered. "Shine, Shine, Shine.. Oh Pretty Baby Be a Friend of Mine"...

Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:04 am

April 15 - Exotic Brooklyn

Back home with the sounds of the festival still swirling around inside.. other notable women I saw: Irma Thomas, the Dixie Cups, and the Babineaux Sisters. I bought a souvenir poster that pretty much sums it up..

http://www.wwltv.com/news/French-Quarte ... &img=2&c=y

Is this not perfect? Its how I think of Fest..

Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:18 pm

May 7th- San Diego

Wrapping up a home town family visit with justsummer, her oldest daughter (longtime festie) the other sibs and their offspring. Coordinating many group dinners, beach trips, tours require patience and skills. We took to shouting "rolling!" when we mobilized, like the crosstown shuttle heading to triangle.

To continue the theme of purchasing vinyl, (and I can't pass a thrift store now without thinking of Gretchen Phillips extolling the virtue of reverse shoplifting) I was wading through a dollar bin and turned up a demo release of Laura Nyro's Christmas and the Beads of Sweat. I rescued it from the bin. Awhile back, Nedra suggested to me to start hosting listening parties. I might do that soon.

Wed May 07, 2014 4:19 pm

getting rid of over 300 vinyl - all wimmin - I have a list if anyone is interested - only need postage $ - mrynnpwrs at aol and I will send the list to you.

Wed May 07, 2014 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]