View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
FB killed the Forum 

Hello out there. Can anyone hear me?

Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:40 am

This is why I always go to the forums on the Michigan site and check those too. I hear ya'

Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:01 am
Profile WWW

Have we met in person, Tropidyke? Please forgive my poor memory.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:39 am

I agree which sucks for thos of us not on FB. With all the personal info they have let be accessed without permission of the user ( which is why I don't do any social media) I can't figure out why one would stay on it & not delete their account.

suji

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:21 pm

I have nothing against Facebook. I've used it quite a bit. But sometimes you just have to step away.

It is like any other Internet social media. It's easy to get embroiled. Things are said that would never be said face-to-face. And things are easily misunderstood or misinterpreted.

I've seen the same thing happened here on the forum.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:53 pm

I like having both actually. I use them differently. If I need an answer right way I tend to go to the facebook page where I can usually get a flood of responses within moments of posting. If I'm looking more for making plans for fest or looking to see if anyone needs a ride, gear, etc I come to the forum. I don't get involved with the political discussions on either page. So, for me they are both valuable ways to connect.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:34 am
Profile WWW

red, don't know if we've met - I've been going to fest since 04 - I camp waaaay up past the workshop areas.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:57 pm
Profile WWW

I use both, in different ways. Ready to start back on the Forum again. Will be back after missing last year, and will be back in RV with a new to me camper.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:36 pm

Now I'm stuck with "Video Kiled the Radio Star" in my head! I guess there are worse fates...

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:08 am

witchseavey wrote:
Now I'm stuck with "Video Kiled the Radio Star" in my head! I guess there are worse fates...

LOL, Me TOO!

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:11 am
Profile WWW

Gotcha! LOL!!

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:35 pm

Although I miss some of the heydays of the fora, there are ways in which FB can allow for somewhat more private communication between festies.

(Suji, I hear your privacy concerns, but hear me out...)

Some of the groups are secret. Unless you're a member of the group, you can't even find out that it exists. **Insert disclaimer about Facebook data mining here** Unlike the fora, which are available for any and all to read without even registering, at least theoretically, it is more difficult for people who would use our words against us to have access to them.

I would also be surprised if warming temperatures don't bring some forumites out of the woodwork. Example #1- me!

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:51 am

waves to Hammi and Red! I still love this forum best- no commercials/advertisement. THANK YOU LISA AND LD!

I've noticed that FB doesn't really get much more "action" than this forum, but it networks info better. Still.. I'll take the trade-off. I'm a free speech advocate, but I am against internet bullying/toxic vitriol under the guise of anonymity, so I have come to have a grudging respect for the the limited moderation this forum has in place, and abiding appreciation for its continuing existing.

I, too, miss the vibrancy this forum once held, but the flame is not out! We have had to recalibrate like the internet frontierswomyn we are, but the intention of this space remains to help the fest community stay connected. When I see my friends and fest family post here, I still get excited. !!! Some of us go way back to early online days- Red and I first connected through Lesquire's Pub.

I hope to step out of the woodworks in the coming months.. My work and life commitments have kept me out of circulation lately, but things are quieting down. Some of you may have noticed I am not hosting the May mixer in BKLYN like I have in recent years, but we are cooking up a fabulous re-entry party come late august. Since Brooklyn is currently the center of the cultural universe and has everyone in her tractor beam, I expect to see all of you there, ya hear?

Keep posting, my sisters! <rampy1- I'm looking at you!>

Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:19 am
Site Admin

I am going to write in caps to attract attention. Sorry.

I SAY THAT THE BB CAN BE LIKE A PHOENIX, AND RISE FROM THE ASHES.
IT MAY JUST GO AWAY IF IT IS NOT USED TOO MUCH.

I GET IT THAT MANY ARE NOT ON FB, AND THIS WAS SUCH A GREAT WAY TO GET NEW FOLKS INTERESTED IN FESTIVAL. HOW WILL WE ATTRACT MORE CAMPERS IF WE ARE NOT HERE TO LURE THEM AND HELP THEM AND ANSWER THEIR QUESTIONS AND CALM THEIR FEARS, AND CREATE COMMUNITY BEFORE THEY ARE EVEN ON THE LINE?

HERE IS WHAT I WOULD LOVE LOVE LOVE TO SEE HAPPEN.

IF YOU ARE REGISTERED, POST OFTEN.
    IF YOU BELONG TO FB, SUGGEST OTHERS GO BACK TO THE BB AND POST OFTEN.
    REMIND THE OTHER FB FEST WOMYN TO POST.
    CREATE THREADS ON THE BB THAT ARE GEARED TO THOSE JUST CHECKING US OUT.
    ADOPT THE THREAD(s) YOU CREATE AND CHECK THEM EVERY DAY OR SO, UPDATING SO THEY DON'T GO SOUR.
    IF YOU DARE, and/or if you can, POST ON FB AND LABEL IT "PUBLIC ANYONE CAN SEE IT AND POST HERE."
    ANNOUNCE FEST, THE WEBSITE, AND THE BULLETIN BOARD (as a resource to talk to others that have been there, get answers create community.. etc).
    PUT THE LINK TO THE BB ON THE POST. ADOPT THIS POST.
    SUGGEST OTHERS DO SOME OR ALL OF THE THINGS ON THIS LIST. (I guess through FB posts...)

Many of us think of this BB in a kind of nostalgic way. We are very grateful it was there for us, and if asked, would most likely say we would like it to be there for our sisters that have not found it yet. The "wars" that used to overrun these forums no longer exist. It has changed.. We need to breathe new life into that change now, or it may not be there for others.

Those difficult threads chased many of us away, and of course, joining facebook kept us away. BB's are somewhat 20th century now.. but this one could really help keep fest alive, I truely believe that.

Bb

Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:06 pm
Profile WWW

The only value I see in Facebook is the fact that it works as a phone app. But in general it is not well organized for seeing information efficiently.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next