View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
"A Raised Voice" 

Sometimes i really miss the vibrant discussions that use to take place on this community bb over all sorts of diverse topics (in good part because there were so many voices posting i could just read with pleasure, and not have to chime in at all). In any event, i saw this article and thought, what with gals just now returning from this year's Michfest, that the piece might be appealing to those who occasionally visit this site.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/ ... ised-voice

Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:33 pm

Like the idea of a regular place to post articles and news about females fighting, working and accomplishing.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014 ... mirzakhani

Also, for any fans of the feminist screen writer Sally Wainwright who are Netflix subscribers, you might want to keep an eye out for the series "Happy Valley" -which will be available there starting August 20th. Well written and acted crime drama (kind of a blue-collar "Prime Suspect" in its high quality) with an exceptionally complex, heroic and strong female lead character.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:50 pm
Site Admin

I LOVE Nina Simone.
Not sure if this fits your post but... I have a new project I am working on, "COWGIRLS: Famous and Not So..."
Graphics created with images I find, turn to sepia tones and then paint them, along with text describing some of what I found in researching the woman. In doing this, I fell in love with Stagecoach Mary. Heard of her? Apparently someone is creating a film about her.
Anyway, if you are interested, check it out at my CafePress Store at http://www.cafepress.com/lucilledesigngroup/11400723
Let me know what you think. And if you have any suggestions of others, please pass them on to me. Loving the research.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:37 pm
Profile WWW

Yes, it fits perfectly. Those are really sharp, LD. Great subject and eye-catching graphics. How did you come to choose cowgirls as a topic? I hadn't heard of Stagecoach Mary before, but i'll keep an eye out for the film you mention. As these things go, sure hope an indi, maybe run by womyn with a female director/screenwriter are behind the production because, you know, it does considerably up the odds of a decent movie of her life being made. Bet Julie Dash could pull it off. Never ceases to amaze me that all one has to do is just start rumaging thru history and she'll never be short of human stories more compelling than any fiction. thanks for the post.

This is something i noticed recently added to this website which fits in this thread: http://www.michfest.com/festival_commun ... ements.htm
GOOD!!!!! this belongs on the site (overdue in my opinion) and perhaps if gals ever contemplate occasionally returning to converse back on this (non -Zuckerberg run, personal info mining, psychological profiling, sell the info to the advertisers and others) bb, in making that descision they will consider that this is another space that was attacked into very near silence.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:30 pm

http://billmoyers.com/2014/08/27/what-b ... ality-day/
http://billmoyers.com/2014/08/27/i-ques ... tizenship/

Have people here checked out the published letters to "The New Yorker" (Aug. 25th) in response to Michelle Goldberg's article "What Is a Woman?"? There are four of them. One wonders if they reflect well, and in proportion, the tenor of the letters received.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:11 pm
Site Admin

You may be happy to know there is a place on FB that is continuing the dialogue that is so necessary. Called "Allies in Understanding"
They have been having intensive workshops on the land each fest for a few years, and this is a continuation of that theme.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/690981854317328/
I do think you need to be FB to get in though.
I am investigating getting some webcasts or podcats to create workshop scenarios... interested?

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

"....consider that this is another space that was attacked into very near silence."
so true... so sad.
Bb

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:47 pm
Profile WWW

To achieve goals it can pay to use multiple means. And dialogue between differing parties is important, as long as it's not a diversion; but the type of discussion going in AIU would not be were i want to put any of my energy at present. Being both "as shrewd as serpents and as harmless as doves" strikes me as wise for this world. (Plus, AIU does not have neutral mediation, but thanks for the heads-up.)

Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:10 pm
Site Admin

They just did some changes to AIU. Not sure if they are for the better or not. To be seen i guess. Would love to hear more specifics of your opinion on AIU. You have my email? [ my first name with the usual symbol then my user name here and a period and it is a com.]

In what would you like to or be willing to put your energy? I feel it is time I stepped up to the plate to get more involved, and in that vein...

I am thinking of hosting some "salons" or creating some webinar-based workshops/discussion forums focusing on inclusion/intention and beyond 40 years. I would love to work with you on this.

My strengths:
    • If I say I am going to do something, I do. Won't leave you hanging.
    • Willing to do research as to how to best do this online, have it be accessible to all and make it so tone is not ambiguous as it can so often be misconstrued in a written format.

My shortcomings:
    • On a spontaneous level, I am not very eloquent verbally. I get tongue-tied and can immediately fall into a "less than" state of mind.
    • I feel like I am late getting to the table. I have only recently started reading the myriad of opinions, articles, vitriol and support that floods the ethernet. I am at a loss as to how one separates the essence from the surface, the fact from the fiction, the truth from the perception.
    • It takes me awhile to form an opinion and an even longer time to express it with any confidence in a discernible way. Given some time and space, I can write, but workshops... they are spontaneous... Just this post alone took almost 1/2 hour to do and had constant edits...

However, I would really like to facilitate something like this, and make a commitment to being more involved. If I learned anything from my involvement to the "Midway" parties it is that you need (or at least I need) committed folks to help.
So.... I wonder if you are interested in any way.
Whatcha think?

Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:07 pm
Profile WWW

Hi, LD
sorry to have left you hanging, but i had to think about your generous offer to work with someone as talented and dedicated as you.

First, really what i said above about AIU sums it up. Though yes my comments lack for specifics. One only has so much time and energy. AIU's specific goals would not be the most pressing for me, and it does not have neutral mediation. (How people achieve that, if it is a goal, on the net, would be tough, certainly.)

Second, i put my extra energies as regards social causes primarily into wage and labor issues (not exclusively for females, but certainly the disparity of wages/benefits between the sexes is a fundamental and nearly omnipresent issue. And can i just say as an ornery equal wages advocate, if females didn't make on average 1/3 less than males regardless of their education level/success, type of employment, ages, time spent in the workforce, etc. -and basically you name it- then we wouldn't be having probably a majority of these other battles to fight for our rights, social power and respect; and female owned/orientated businesses like Michfest would not struggle so much. And though i know very well how tough, risky and outright painful fighting for decent wages most often is, people who will work for so many other causes but duck this one in their own places of employment and communities....! (that means either i'm speechless or my comments are not fit for any family forum)) At the end of each day, beyond that work and other work/family obligations and interests (and staying physically and mentally healthy) i honestly don't have much left to give. Plus, i'm not much of a web type activist. My heart is not in it; personality and philosophically speaking i need the in-person interaction. And I'm honestly not very interested, as things stand now, in focusing on inclusion/intention as regards the festival. (I'd be much more interested in focusing on "intention" primarily.)

I think your ideas are great and understand your desire to become more involved. Please don't feel late to the table. i personally think the festival and its pro-intention voices are still fairly well behind the curve (but, my, don't they gain ground FAST! Seriously, these females are incredible.) To separate the essence from the surface, well, you're a very smart, experienced female, LD. Honestly think about it; use quality sources for info, not just any and everything; ask tough questions and DEMAND/perservere in finding thoughtful, clear answers from both yourself and others. Personally i don't subscribe to the notion that one must read (in depth) and respect all sides, certainly not equally. Not enough time; clutters the critical thinking ability. People lie, work to deceive (this is politics), sometimes are simply less helpful on certain issues. And we are all imperfect in an imperfect world (whatever fresh hell a "perfect" world would actually be). At the end of the day, as regards the Festival on this issue, one must make an "imperfect" -as in others will disagree and with some good cause in relation to their POV, social interests and/or personal goals- decision either way. But I'm a quality not quantity type person; often a classical intellectual snob if one insists (with suspect radical listening commitment/abilities when it comes to many political issues these days when dealing with some parties; which since i've had both Amazons and Nuns modeling this for me for many years means i am probably well out-of-reach of conversion). Though, absolutely, one has to remain vigilant against becoming too closed minded and too "the ends justify the means".

Have you by any chance seen Tessa's call out to gals who are interested in starting a web magazine. She's very visual minded, beyond tech savvy and probably would be very comfortable in a webinar type setting. Maybe she might be interested in hearing from you. And that passionate Amazon gets things done in timely fashion with both style and great intelligence. She is, also, a pleasure to work with.

Sometimes i think i should not be posting on this bb any more because i have not attended the festival for these last two years, but i do miss the conversations we once had here in these forums. They reflected so well the wonderful discussions that happen constantly at the actual Festival covering so many interesting and eclectic topics with participants from literally all over the world in basically a "commercial" free environment. Also, from a Michfest business standpoint, i think gals should recognize that by preditory forces successfully having those examplary community conversations shutdown here, the festival lost one of its best and most accurate advertising tools. My staying and occasionally posting here is primarily a chronic reluctance to completely accept that they will never take place on the Michfest bb again. And, honestly it is not my intention to try and sneak "the issue" back onto the bb as a hot topic. If it comes up, it comes up. Complete prohibition would probably be a form of false advertising. But i prefer talking/listening about nearly anything else both here and at the festival. Which, as we both know, the actual annual August festival environment itself does still function as a legit and effective haven for females to get away from this topic and corresponding behaviors related to it if one chooses to experience Michfest that way.

On that note, i thought this article on Tillie Olsen was quite good: http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-tur ... ker-writer

Solidarity, Sister (to the 40th next August in the ferns! amazing)

(p.s. i may have said it before, but i was so ridiculously happy to hear the good news about your house and home! And bye-the way, i edit like a mad obsessive fiend, too, because wrinkles can't spell and never is satisfied with what has been written. To edit in writing is to show one cares! and your third point imo is decidedly not a shortcoming. Also, i will gladly stop using the term "female" were "woman/womon" will do nicely if between you, me and the OED (and any lurkers) one understands that that word unaccompanied by any qualifiers means an adult female, peer...eee...ud, full-stop, end of.)

Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:41 pm

A slightly older piece (2010) from one of the most important, knowledgable economic voices speaking out, female or male, in our days - Yves Smith of Naked Capitalism. True and relevant (That description does not do her credit. She acts. Just ask people invested in the California public pension program, CalPERS, with its crooked, criminal looting "management".)

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2010/10/ ... proof.html

Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:08 pm

Ai-jen Poo
http://www.macfound.org/fellows/924/

and that dyke to always watch out for:
http://www.macfound.org/fellows/908/

(a little dark humor for what is actually quite a lovely late N.E. Ohio summer day: http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz ... colleagues
Good thing the neolib dems had the g.o.p. gals to cover for them to put the kibosh in -team play, they work it together. And the Nobel comittee apologizes for the 2009 Peace Prize pick -now there's a revelation, but do they properly appreciate the dangerous mixture of front man hubris and at will drone strikes.)

Last edited by wrinkles on Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:07 pm

Carmen Segarra -she's a heroine and a Cassandra (such a shame for Nixon and his tapes that he didn't have the omnipresent fourth estate propaganda machine that exists now) from "This American life":
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-a ... en-segarra (there is much to learn about the power of language and conversation control and manipulation in this piece.)

there is, however, Yves Smith of the fifth estate: http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2014/09/ ... -mind.html

Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:19 am

A courageous, inspiring radical feminist powerfully serving people from within an often highly abusive patriarchy:
http://globalsistersreport.org/news/ben ... dies-11771

"We fall and get back up, and fall and get back up....together."
pax

Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:29 pm

Peering over the sides of one's box, i just thought this article was very interesting because i know next to nothing about Nigerian society.
http://globalsistersreport.org/equality ... eyes-10586

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next