View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Good songs to sing for someone who has died? 

Hello my sisters-

As an enthusiastic participant of Singing in Sacred Circle for the last four years, I have truly come to believe there is a song for every occasion.... but I am feeling kind of stuck right now.

My grandmother, who was the beloved matriarch (in every sense of the phrase) of my very large and very stereotypical Irish Catholic extended family, passed on earlier today after a brief illness. I've been having a hard time thinking of songs to sing for her spirit... probably because she was Catholic to her dying breath and I don't want to disrespect her memory. I am so grateful that I was able to know and love her for 26 whole years....

Anyway, I sang a Catholic song about Mary for her, but I just can't bring myself to sing "We All Come From the Goddess" or "A Woman in the Tribe Has Died" etc.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:40 pm

Hi, Snow, it's Mary from singing circle. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing and I'm glad you're singing for her (and for yourself!).
I asked Linda and Rissa and some others for suggestions of songs you can sing for your grandmother's spirit and here's what Linda said. The My Spirit Lives On song is on Linda's Wide Open CD.
Hugs to you!
SKWD

One Fine Morning when my work is done I'm gonna fly away home
Fly away home to ____ (we sing Gaia but originally may have been heaven but you could fill in the blank with what ever rings true for her)

My spirit lives on in the mountain…reaches toward the sky…
I am not gone, I'm all around
My spirit blows with the wind now…dances wild and free…
My spirit glows with the sunshine…warms youth the bone…
My spirit flows with the ocean… surges through your veins…
My spirit lives on in my friends now… lives within the earth…in my loved ones
I am not gone,I'm all around

Blessings be with you, my friend, may you never walk alone
As this world is spinning round and round May your angels come and hold you

Those are my thoughts! Love to Snow!!!!! Linda

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:54 pm

and here's what Rissa said:
Just a random late evening musing:
Brigid (the Irish Goddess and Saint) walks and works in both worlds, and may be a respectful way to send extra blessings to your Grandmother.
Blessings to you and yours
-Rissa

Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:49 pm

Oh thank you so much SKWD, Linda, and Rissa! These are very helpful suggestions, especially Fly Away Home to Heaven (I always think about it as To Gaia or To Michigan, I forgot LYRICS ARE FLEXIBLE).

And asking Brigid for blessing... yes a very good suggestion. There are great songs for her too!

Will try to respond more fully tomorrow. Much love and blessings and thanks to you all <3

Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:14 pm

Dear Snow, I'm reading you tonight and the first song that popped into my head is:

We are sisters on a journey
shining in the sun
remembering the ancient ones
the womyn and the wisdom
the womyn and the wisdom

I'd be happy to sing it to you live over the phone if you don't know it and want to hear it.

Its been my learned experience that the spirit/soul lives on. We don't know the next destination. It's like a Rubic's Cube. Most people can not unlock the secret to mastery of the puzzle. Some may end up in a kind of psyche hospital till "healed", tended by loving subtle bodies beyond our comprehension, or they move on quickly to to the next great adventure. Maybe some actually DO end up in "heaven" if that is their idea of a good time and they are ready to handle it. As incarnational bodies, we are limited to time and place and what our senses tell us is true, and dead is dead. No more breathing, no more doing or being. Gone beyond us, to the great beyond. So our task, then, is to honor that. Both of my grandmothers played a HUGE role in my life and I was blessed to glean from them every nugget of wisdom they tried to bestow on me. They left me the wommon that I am, at least a good part of it. Honoring our ancestors carries forward what helps to sow the future.

Good parting Grandmother of Snow! Go with peace in your heart that she is teaching us your wisdom and she is well tended and well loved! She is part of our tribe and she will carry on, you are released from your bonds, blessed be!

Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:30 am

Glad to be of help, Snow!!
Thanks, Artemis, for the reminder of that song!
Be well!
SKWD

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:51 pm

.. and for something completely different, if you were at day stage when Isle of Klezbos played, then you saw Rachelle Garniez play accordion. Rachelle is a major musical talent in her own right, with several albums of her own music available. I have been encouraging her to audition to play her own set at fest. Anyway, she has a great song, Shadowland, on her Crazy Blood Album that I think about when contemplating the barriers between life and death. Luckily it's on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9YMHRg5E1Q

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:51 pm

Snow, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Peace and strength to you. We sang a song in Singing Circle that feels, to me, like a nice way to say goodbye to someone:

"Peace to you
Strength to you
Go where you want to go
Do what you want to do
Our love will go with you."

xoxo,
Elissa

Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]