View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Camping with kids 

Hi festies!
This year my (almost) three year old will be too old for the playpen he slept in for the last two fests. Can you recommend sleeping gear for him (what kind of mat?) I'll be traveling from CA, but can buy stuff locally or ship to where I'm picking up a car.

Fri May 06, 2011 11:53 am

i don't have any kids but i thought i'd generate some content to help you. what kind of sleeping pad are you looking for? do you need something to pad the ground or something to just insulate? are you using a sleeping bag or just blankets? do you have a price point?

to be honest, when i was a kid my dad just used one of those foam mats and a layer of cardboard under our sleeping bag (usually just a few layers of cardboard). we never froze b/c we had backpacking sleeping bags.

if you want a decent sleeping bag for kids, i love kelty bags for kids. they have a pretty cool dinosaur one for $50. its a 40 degree bag, meaning you probably would want to bring an extra blanket. if you plan on camping with him for few years its a good investment.

Mon May 09, 2011 6:31 pm

My three children (currently 8, 6 and 4) have been coming with me since they were each infants. When it was just my son and I camping, he slept in a one like this: http://www.amazon.com/AeroBed-Sleep-Tig ... 021&sr=8-1
I liked it because it had raised sides to keep him from rolling out. He used an adult sized sleeping bag plus a couple fleece blankets. That was the fest it was REALLY cold and rainy so I wanted to be sure he was warm. Now we camp out in Brother Sun and my tent attaches to my van so the kids all sleep in the back of the van. They each sleep in footie pj's. I have a foam pad that goes on the floor of the car, plus a sleeping bag. Each of them has a fleece blanket plus I have a couple extra in case it gets super cold.

Hope that helps :)

Tue May 10, 2011 6:37 am

I've brought my daughter the last two years at 9mo and 21mo. We camped in a small tent and she slept in a fleece snowsuit and pjs (usually). She moves in her sleep and we lined the tent with foam puzzle pieces. I found this worked well since she would have moved off of a mat. Perhaps our kids know each other from Sprouts already;)

Sun May 15, 2011 9:28 am

Yes, BerryPatch...we do...and we have the same name! Can't believe it's been a whole year! You coming back this year? Maybe I'll try the foam mat for the floor. We stayed at a hotel recently and our kiddo fit well on a large dog pillow!

4McKinneys...would love to start up a chat with you about the transition to Brother sun...I'm in a bit of denial about leaving the main land.

Keep the good ideas coming

Mon May 23, 2011 12:10 am

Folks seem to have pretty much covered the sleeping gear.
A jog-type stroller is a great help. See if you can borrow one if you don't have one. There's a really good stroller rain cover, mostly nylon, not crunchy plastic, I think the brand is Protect a Bub.
Put the kid's name on Everything. (many years a Sprouts worker here).
Be prepared for sun, cold, heat, bugs. Rain gear. Flap-Happy type sun hats are good.
No need for much in the way of toys - so much at Sprouts.
If you want to take the kidlet to Night Stage consider Peltor ear (hearing) protectors made special for kids-- our one yr old actually liked wearing the big headset and slept through all sorts of amplified rumpus.
Folks who come by car seem to get a lot of use out of a wagon.
A few good plastic food containers (Lock n Lock are the best) to stash meal food for later.
Zip lock bags in many sizes. For food, soiled clothing, etc.
You'll find Sprouts a great resource, for both children and moms. Be sure to advance register.

Wed May 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Sprouts rocks! We couldn't have done it without them last time we went with a 4 month old and a 2 year old.

We are also trying to figure out sleeping for the kids. For us we have Thermarest Dream Time mats (one regular and one extra wide) but together they are not wide enough for all 4 of us (the kids are 2 and 4 now). So we are looking to get 2 more mats. One to go next to ours and one to go across the head of the other three. That's what our tent will allow although we are considering a bigger tent! We are looking for recommendations for decent but inexpensive pads. We all have good sleeping bags. We just got this one for our daughter: http://www.amazon.com/Lady-Bug-Mummy-Sl ... B004OO1DV8

We just had a practice run this weekend and the kids slept pretty well and went down easily (thank you thank you) but we did not have enough bed space to all be comfy.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:00 pm

I have a question about getting my gear in. It has been several years since I was last at fest and this will be my first year camping with a baby/toddler. In the past I've always hauled my stuff, but this year I'll have MUCH more stuff and will be solo (aside from my daughter.) How will it work having my gear transported - Is there a special shuttle for people taking their stuff to Sprouts or will I have to unload and then reload at triangle? I'm planning on arriving on Monday and leaving Sunday or Monday.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:47 pm

There is a special shuttle that will drop you in front of sprouts and sprouts has huge carts that you can use to haul your gear to your site. Plus, they'll watch your kids for you for an hour or two while you set up. However, be prepared to wait a while for the shuttle. There is only one shuttle for sprouts and it is shared with over 50s. It is typically a van or pickup and we sprouts womyn tend to bring a lot of gear, so often they can only take one family at a time.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:57 am

Thanks! Its helpful to know what to expect!

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:44 am

schmeesa- Yes we'll be at fest again. I had considered skipping it now that we require two plane tickets but we're coming. I plan to camp in the same area but on a flatter spot so I won't have to move the kid back up to the top of the tent during the night. I'm so glad you are coming:)

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:59 pm

Is there a camping spot that has a lot of families in it (on the land itself, I am coming with 1 girl)?

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:45 pm
Site Admin

sprout camping is right by sprouts and full o families

Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:42 am
Profile WWW

We ended up getting the kids each an Alps Mountaineering pad for a reasonable price on Campmor.com, I think. They worked great under their sleeping bags. Having a comfy sleeping situation has made all the difference for us at Fest. It means we haul more stuff in and of course we had to put out the money to buy it (but it will all last for years) but tired, cranky moms and babies are no good. :)

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm

We are heading to Fest again with our 6 year old girl and 4 year old boy. We've missed 1 Fest since our daughter came to her first fest at 3 months old so we sort of have it down to a science. But it's always nice to connect with other moms and kids and get ideas. Anyone else going with their little kids?

Our biggest challenge this year, I think, will be food and snacks. The kids are pretty good eaters at home but I'm sure they will not love festival food. I hate to cook out there but think we may have to. I'm thinking grilled cheese sandwiches and hot dogs, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cheese and crackers, trail mix and whatever fruit and veggies we can get into them. Any snack or easy to cook food suggestions?

Also planning to check out Brother Sun since this is our boy's last year at Sprouts. Any moms with 5 year old boys that have been to Fest that can talk about how their first Brother Sun year went? We will take our son out there with us this year to see it and talk it up for next year.

11 DAYS!!

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]