View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Gluten-free options? 

Geez Louise, I've been gluten free for over a year now. Last time I was at Fest was like, five or six years ago, and now I'm trying to figure out what the GF options are and how to supplement. I know rice cakes are usually available, and most of the yummy recipes are pretty safe, but does anyone have any advice for moi?

Also, I'll be flying in for the first time and curses to that after the luxury of a fully loaded Saturn station wagon.

Thanks in advance, sisters.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:34 am

FN:

If you need to eliminate gluten 100%, then you will run into some difficulties in the festival kitchen, due to issues of cross-contamination. For example, peanut butter is gluten-free, but the 100 womyn in line before you used that same spatula to spread peanut butter on wheat bread, which means the jar of PB is now contaminated. Similarly, although the cooking pots and serving bins are washed between uses, you cannot guarantee that a smidge of pasta didn't get stuck in the corner of the pot that is being used today to steam broccoli. And a server (who doesn't understand issues of cross contamination) may inadvertently contaminate a spoon intended for a gluten-free dish against something with gluten.

If, on the other hand, you're merely trying to avoid gluten, you'll do okay, but several of your meals might be only salad, fruit, and rice cakes.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:30 am

FN,

Ditto what Babs said, especially about cross-contamination. My sister has Celiac disease & has gone to fest the last 2-3 years. Since she must be entirely gluten free to avoid getting immediately sick, she found she was not able to eat any food cooked or prepared in the kitchen. She tried varying degrees of avoidance, such as only eating salads, or just "plain" foods, etc., but still became ill. Not fun while camping! She was able to get an unopened bag of rice cakes, whole fruit, and a kind kitchen worker let her scoop from an unopened bucket a week's worth of peanut butter, but otherwise she/we had to bring all her own food.

FYI, Saints last year had absolutely delicious GF doughnuts which were fine. Cuntree Store also sells GF snacks of various kinds. If you're near DART downtown, stop by for a snack- I'm bringing brie & Nut Thins in honour of sister Joan, though she is unable to make it to fest this year.

-spark

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:29 am

Thanks so much. I am (knock wood) not in the celiac category, but it is certainly better for me to be vigilant and I want to enjoy fest to the utmost. I may try out the technique that spark's sister used -- seems like a good workaround -- and will make sure to pack some GF staples (crackers, corn tortillas, nuts, etc).

With all the blessings in my life, I'm trying not to feel sorry for the things I can't have and rejoice in all the things I can and do.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:41 pm

spark wrote:
FYI, Saints last year had absolutely delicious GF doughnuts which were fine. Cuntree Store also sells GF snacks of various kinds. If you're near DART downtown, stop by for a snack- I'm bringing brie & Nut Thins in honour of sister Joan, though she is unable to make it to fest this year.

Good to know about the saintly Saints! And I'll try to snag some brie (scrumptious) and crackers!! Thanks!

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:46 pm

FemmeN,

If you know you'll want GF peanut butter, please bring your own jar instead of asking a kitchen worker to get "clean" PB for you. I know that Spark's sister was able to make that happen, but it can be really disruptive to the kitchen crew to honor such requests. And it's one of those things that may or may not happen, depending on who you happen to ask for help. To be safe, just bring your own jar. I know it's heavy to travel with, but you get a lot of bang for your buck with peanut butter.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:29 am

Agreed, Babs. Kit staff have enough to do without any requests for a stop-n-search. It's all good.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:50 pm

i find that bringing some cans of eden's beans and rice combos (plus a small can opener) can be helpful. although they are heavy (i am flying too), just a few can be a nice supplement for the meals that are more challenging as far as gf options...and also the racoons can't get at them.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:02 am

stillfire wrote:
some cans of eden's beans and rice combos (plus a small can opener) can be helpful.

Good call, stillfire! Thanks. FN

Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:35 pm

Thanks for all these replies, folks. I posted a Gluten-Free question on one of the other threads, and your answers here help me. I have Celiac Disease, was diagnosed recently, and with a two-year-old daughter am shocked by how much I'll have to bring in. I may cut down the number of days I'm on the land this year, just due to how overwhelming this stupid disease is in my life.

I appreciate the very honest responses here. Thank you! and thanks, too, for the suggestions about Saints and Cuntry Store for extra snacks.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:52 pm

I drive in and I would be glad to go pick up canned gluten free foods and even bring can openers. Just let me know what you want and how much you want to spend. There is an excellent store in town, but they tend to be a bit pricy.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:39 pm

Double entry

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:40 pm

I am coming for the first time too and am gluten free. I am also the camp coordinator and chef at a camp in MIddleville MI. It used to be just for gluten free but now it's gluten free with many other allergies. Sounds like it's time to get a gluten free gang together in the fest kitchen so we can eat with our friends. How can we make this happen? Is there a reduced priceing for us celiacs since we are unable to eat most or all of the food there?
Nicole

Fri May 11, 2012 7:57 pm

If you have a need that is not getting met, it would be worth starting a conversation. I'd encourage you to call the office (not sure if they're set up in MI yet...) and talk to someone there. Feedback forms are also a great way to let festival organizers know what kinds of things you would like to see for the future.

Sat May 12, 2012 9:05 am

I have a severe gluten allergy (though not celiac), and so far I've not been affected by cross-contamination issues. They started offering corn tortillas for some breakfasts and for burrito night last year, so I was thrilled. There are indeed a couple of meals that end up being salad-and-rice-cakes-only, which I've found really frustrating, but I also understand that there are SO many different dietary needs present when you bring together several thousand womyn, the kitchen can't possibly accommodate them all. Bless you, Red, for being willing to bring groceries for the womyn who fly in!

Sat May 26, 2012 6:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next