View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Two under 2! 

Single mom camping with two under-twos this year. Not too worried about the older kid, she's been to Festival before, and likes to sleep in a tent, Sprouts, eat granola, night stage, etc.

However, last year I had a hard time washing bottles in cold water for a week, and I'm wondering how other moms who use bottles get around this.

I'm also concerned about transport. We get around the city with a single stroller and baby-wearing. Not sure how to handle rain or other extremes with two, including sleeping at night stage or even eating meals!

Love Sprouts, and the suggestions for "Camping with Kids" are very valuable! Any more help would be appreciated. FYI, we will be driving up from Cincinnati with a stop in SE MI.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:09 am

Last time we went to Fest, our son was on a bottle. In Sprouts, they let us use their sink, which has hot/warm water, to wash bottles. Also, we brought a small, one burner camp stove and a pot and would boil some water and pour it over the bottles with dish soap in a small plastic wash basin. We brought our bottle brush. It was a bit of a hassle, no doubt! But got them cleaner than washing with cold water.

We found great deals on double jog strollers on Craig's List. Since we don't use it much at home, it was a purchase mainly for fest, we got one that was in less than pristine condition for cheap. Then if one kid wants to walk, you have a seat for your stuff and if they both get tired and want to ride or are both asleep, you have that option. But I think you could get by with a single stroller since you also babywear. Big wheels are a must though. We also had a plastic rain cover and a mosquito netting that went around our stroller. Babywearing is a must. I'm bringing my Bamberoo SSC and a ring sling for my giant 2 year old who still likes to be carried sometimes as well as a double jogger in case the 4 year old wants to ride too.

Good luck!

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Catgeek,

Just wanted to say hi, I'll be camping solo with a one year old and am a bit intimidated about how I will manage the drive and getting set up/breaking down. You must have managed pretty well last year to be planning this year with 2 under 2.

I'm currently debating between bringing an old wooden radio flyer wagon vs. a jogging stroller, but I'm leaning towards the jogging stroller. I babywear as well but I doubt I'll have the stamina to do that all week.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:02 pm

the nice thing about the stroller or wagon is that you can stash your stuff in it too. I love babywearing, but at times I end up feeling like a bit of a pack mule with everything/one I'm carrying ;). Plus on really hot days, my daughter can get a bit overheated being worn for too long, but that might not be true with all carriers.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:31 am

Nim,

I had help from friends and met wonderful other moms last year, too. I wore my daughter All The Time in her Ergo before Fest so it wasn't new to us, but I relied on the stroller for carrying what would normally be in my daypack. The other nice thing about a stroller versus a wagon is that it has a cover in case of rain. The only downside is that a stroller is too tall to be polite at night stage. In thinking about single stroller versus double stroller, my older daughter is starting to sometimes walk or push rather than ride. However, I have never had my 10-week-old in a stroller. By Fest, she'll be just barely almost 4 months, so it might be nice to have the option, plus wow I'd love to have my arms free or be able to put my older daughter on my back again for a change!

Camping in the moms area will be good, say hi! Hard to miss single moms. (:

cbroda,

Thanks, I will look for a used or borrowed double-jogger, since I do seem to prefer the stroller option. And a stove and make sure we have a bowl or sometime to wash in. I have always been a minimalist, and ... I still want to be one! Oh, thanks for the tip about mosquito netting, too!

Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:50 pm

Anyone have any tips about potty training at fest? My 2 year old is OBSESSED with the potty and, as much of a hassle as it is, I'd like to keep the momentum going. Also, my 4 year old often waits too long to go and has to do the pee dance. So I'm thinking of bringing the potty chair. But any tips on best ways to do it would be great. I figure just have it there and dump as needed and swish out w/soap and water. thx

Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:32 pm

As for "Sprouts has hot water at their sink" that's not quite accurate. Sprouts can make hot water available, but you do need to tell them ahead of time, as the sink is just a cold tap. We heat the water on a camp stove. It's even possible to heat enough water to make up a small kid bath in the plastic wheelbarrow or the little infant tub.

Sprouts also has several potties, at Sprouts.
If you will be using your own potty at your camp site, I suggest you bring a small bucket with a lid. What we do at Sprouts is dump the potties into a bucket that has a little soapy water in it, and periodically take the bucket to the portapotties to dump, rinse, give a fresh squirt of soap. Rubber gloves and TP are useful accessories....

Another note is that a big change in scene, like Fest, sometimes puts potty trained kids back to needing diapers: be prepared....a wet bed in a tent is no fun. At least consider a waterproof pad, or Chux, under a newly-trained, or in-training kidlet.

There can be lots of mosquitoes --you want to be able to totally seal your stroller with netting. There can also be serious rain. We had a really nice stroller rain cover - I think the brand is Protect a Bub -- that was mostly lightweight nylon, except for a clear plastic window; it folded and handled better than the all-plastic kind. And for sun: the Flaphappy-type hats work well, as they cover the neck, and tie on. And bring any sun or bug stuff you want to use for your child.

I highly recommend camping in the Family zone across from Sprouts. But if you camp elsewhere, Sprouts can loan you a tent sign that says "A Child Lives Here", to alert potential site neighbors.

All the best. I won't be at Fest this year, but Sprouts will surely keep offering great service to moms and little ones.
Maraiah

Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:04 pm

That's so weird Maraiah because I remember warm water coming out of the tap in the sink. Definitely wasn't hot but it seemed to be hooked to something that was warming it...

Bucket with lid is a great idea! Thanks!
We use overnight diapers or pullups. We definitely aren't there at night yet and a wet sleeping bag would be such a drag!

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:18 pm

I've seen a small portable kids' toilet that folds shut and holds in the contents after use. Perhaps introduce them to porta potties pre fest. Fortunately(?) my daughter isn't wanting to wear undies regularly so we'll get to the toilets when possible and start up the 'training' more when we return.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:33 pm

We have and are bringing the little foldable potty. It looks like a suitcase and seals everything in, so it is a pretty easy clean up. We are mid potty training and she was horrified when we tried to introduce the portapotty, so this is our plan. It worked great on our trip to grandma's so we are hoping for potty success at fest.

~~musiclady

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]