View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
An idea that I am wondering if is a good one 

I am directionally challenged... ;-) and last year found myself having trouble finding my way back to my tent a number of times. especially as new campers came and it got more crowded and looked completely different from when i first moved in. so i thought i would bring a few solar lights that are on stakes that go in the ground. maybe 3 or 4 and place them at strategic places on the way to my tent. even at a turn in the road if it is a place that i get confused. i am guessing these are likely to be safe and no one will take them, am i correct to guess this is likely to be true? anyone else ever try this method of marking the path to home? plus i figure it will look nice and might help some other womyn to find their way...

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:00 am

Stillfire,

I use solar lights near my tent, since I have very bad night vision. Have had no problems. Just be sure to remember to take them with you when you leave. I almost forgot one year!

Di (lucygoose)

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:57 am
Profile WWW

I think as long as you don't have any blow up farm animals at your site, it should be pretty safe. LOL!!!

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:40 am

A couple of thoughts -

make sure you're not placing them where someone could trip. In the day time, solar lights placed low in the ground are a tripping hazard.

the tree canopy is so dense that solar lights don't get a nice, full charge as they would out in a sunny field. This means they're also a tripping hazard at night once the power has fizzled out.

Consider instead -

camping near a major path so it's impossible to lose your tent. (This is what I do as I, too, am directionally challenged.)

tie bright fabric (even reflective fabric) on trees at eye level to guide you. Make sure to take these markers home at the end of fest to use for next year.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:22 am

Hi stillfire. I, too, get really directionally confused at night. Now that I camp in DART, not a problem. But what I used to do when I camped farther away was before fest I would string together different kinds of reflectors - some plastic reflectors - some just reflective tape - (I kind of had a lot of fun with this) on rope and tie that rope kind of high - above head level - in a tree so that at night I could shine my flashlight and find it and then know to turn. And then at the end of fest, I took it down and saved it for the next year.

I learned the hard way to never, ever use someone's colorful tent as a marker, as that tent could just, um, be moved at any point.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:04 pm

I used a type of flagging that is normally used for construction/wetlands identification to help a friend find her way one year. It is a small roll of a plasticky type of material that you just pull off the length that you need and tie it to a tree/branch, etc. It comes in yellow, orange, pink and other bright colors so it is easy to pick up in a flashlight beam. You can probably find it at home depot. It's similar to the police tape that says caution on it.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:43 pm

I've got trail flags -- the little red ones. But other people use trail flags, too, so I got glittery sticky tape that they use to make fishing lures and I put a strip of tape on the red flags so I won't end up at somebody else's tent. I figured the lure tape is waterproof -- not that I intend to leave the trail markers up for more than a day or so.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:20 pm

I have some bright yellow butterflies to hang in the trees to mark my way :)

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:33 pm
Profile WWW

i have solar lights around my tent so it glows. i also have inflatable flamingo tent stakes that i put around my tent. mostly to mark holes/trip hazards and a boundary line (some women don't understand that you can't camp 3 feet from someone's tent without asking first). i also camp close to a main path.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:34 pm

All of my years in solo collective, I hung a coleman 3-way lantern on a branch above my site. It came with an awesome remote, and if i hit the button once, it turned on a little yellow nightlight that didn't seem to bother folks.

So.. remote control lantern. :D

[color=#4000BF][b]* NIK *[/b][/color]

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:30 pm
Profile WWW

thanks everyone for your ideas. i am going to look into getting some of the bright or glittery tape. i will be careful of where i place the little lights--thanks babs!

Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:18 am

I always thought the solar lights seemed like a good idea. But then I recently camped next to someone who had one outside her tent. I am extremely sensitive to light, and the light shined straight through my tent making it really hard for me to close my eyes and get to sleep. Unlike flashlights, remote control lights or string lights, it never went out. If you don't mind the light and can sleep with it on, great. Just be aware that those around you may not appreciate a light on outside their tent all night. I know I will be mindful to look out for and stay away from solar lights in the future.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:36 am

solameya--thanks for this input. i actually thought of this because i too am sensitive to light. thought i might be careful to place them near a path. but not near a tent...and pull the batteries out of mine at night when i get there. i will try to be considerate of this.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:51 am

i 2nd the idea it is nice to remember your neighbors when u run a BRIGHT lantern late at nite, if u can turn it down plez do....and plez be aware if it shines brightly into someone elses tent...thank u
can't wait..gonna be such a fun year !!!!

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:45 am

Also a reminder that bringing eyeshades will make your sleeping much easier. I bought my in the Crafts area last year but that was the first time I've seen them there. They have made a huge difference in my sleeping comfort. Toss them in your packing pile now!

See you next week!

Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next